British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Business for an e2 visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/business-e2-visa-884002/)

Must love dogs Sep 29th 2016 6:45 pm

Business for an e2 visa

After I start to make by lift back here, I'm offered a business for sale back in the states.

I'm not sure as the figures to me look marginal. Any opinion?

2015 sales $134,883 net income left $35.760
2016 sales $95,649. Net income left $35,871
The current owner is ill and currently only runs the business limited no extras.

What to do.?

Noorah101 Sep 29th 2016 6:59 pm

Re: Business for an e2 visa

Sounds risky to me, not much net income.

Where is the business located, and what type of business?

Rene

Must love dogs Sep 29th 2016 7:02 pm

Lake Mary fl, landscaping maintenance

Noorah101 Sep 29th 2016 7:07 pm

Are these figures higher than the previous ones that ended up in a visa denial?

Rene

Must love dogs Sep 29th 2016 7:14 pm

This business has better sales as they are in the $100k range apart from this year (2016) and the net income is bigger.
I was just worried about the sales loss between 2015-2016 as its about $40k

Nutmegger Sep 29th 2016 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by Must love dogs (Post 12064760)
Lake Mary fl, landscaping maintenance

What do you know about landscape maintenance -- and most importantly, do you speak Spanish? All your workers are going to be Hispanic. This is the kind of business where, once it is sold, the existing clientele is prone to drop off. You say you are making a life in the UK -- I'd continue to do so, this sounds far too risky to be investing your heard-earned cash in.

Must love dogs Sep 29th 2016 7:42 pm

Landscape maintenance,- lawn care, installation, etc (I done that before while I was there, so I have the experience)
I can speak Spanish. Well enought to get me by anyway.

scrubbedexpat099 Sep 29th 2016 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 12064796)
What do you know about landscape maintenance -- and most importantly, do you speak Spanish? All your workers are going to be Hispanic. This is the kind of business where, once it is sold, the existing clientele is prone to drop off. You say you are making a life in the UK -- I'd continue to do so, this sounds far too risky to be investing your heard-earned cash in.

He wants cash, it is his business he wants to sell.

Not something most on her would think was E2 suitable.

Must love dogs Sep 29th 2016 7:47 pm

The owner selling is American.

Nutmegger Sep 29th 2016 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12064807)
He wants cash, it is his business he wants to sell.

Huh? Must love dogs just got refused for an E-2, and is thinking of trying again with another business.

Must love dogs Sep 29th 2016 8:00 pm

Thinking only thank you,

celticgrid Sep 29th 2016 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by Must love dogs (Post 12064777)
This business has better sales as they are in the $100k range apart from this year (2016) and the net income is bigger.
I was just worried about the sales loss between 2015-2016 as its about $40k

I would be more looking at why a near 30% drop in revenue did not affect the net.

Pulaski Sep 29th 2016 9:44 pm

$35k net profit is slim pickings even in a low-cost part of Florida.

Landscape maintenance is a business that stereotypically has a fluid customer base - once they realise the business has been sold a lot of the customers may walk.

I am not sure how USCIS might see a business that relies on cash payroll and illegal immigrants, and I am not sure how the business will fare if you don't use "unconventional labor".

ian-mstm Sep 29th 2016 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by Must love dogs (Post 12064740)
I'm not sure as the figures to me look marginal. Any opinion?

The figures are marginal - and even though they're better than your last venture, a marginal business is specifically excluded for an E-2. If you're unable to determine whether or not a business is marginal without asking for opinions here, perhaps you should reconsider your future!

I'll repeat what I said earlier this month... desperate people make very poor decisions. If you pursue this business, you'll be making yet another poor decision in a whole string of existing poor decisions.

Ian

Must love dogs Sep 29th 2016 10:44 pm

My post says the figures are marginal, and the offer of the business came to me I was not looking. Thank you !!