Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

British Student Looking to Join NYPD

British Student Looking to Join NYPD

Old Jun 8th 2018, 12:42 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Student Looking to Join NYPD

Hi Kurt,

Sounds like a decent 15 to 20 year plan. I'm not sure what the cutoff age for getting hired on a US police force is, you might want to look into that, as you'll probably be in your mid-30's by that time, if all goes to plan.

Rene
Old Jun 8th 2018, 6:59 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Don't be too smart. They won't hire you if you're too intelligent.
https://www.globalresearch.ca/us-cou...-a-cop/5420630
Well you clearly demonstrate on BE that you would be a very suitable candidate.
Old Jun 8th 2018, 10:51 pm
Just Joined

MeMeJD is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi Kurt,

Sounds like a decent 15 to 20 year plan. I'm not sure what the cutoff age for getting hired on a US police force is, you might want to look into that, as you'll probably be in your mid-30's by that time, if all goes to plan.

Rene
It varies widely from state to state. While New York has a maximum age of 35, Illinois Police academy does not have an upper age limit I believe.
Old Jun 8th 2018, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Good on the OP for taking on all this information. However, it would be remiss if no one pointed out the incredibly large gap...

Originally Posted by KurtAJT
Then I will look for an employer in Chicago who is willing to hire foreign workers. [<<<<<< >>>>>>] Then, they would petition for me to get a green card for permanent residency. If the interview goes well, and all of the processing of my background, financial stability and health situation, then I will have a valid green card. Then I will find a home in Chicago and move there.
This bit is often a 10 year plan in itself! And many people never manage to get to the other side. A quick browse of the first few pages of the immi forum will turn up plenty of people who even have a job offer, but no possible avenue for a work visa. And you seem to be planning on an employment-based immigrant visa! Hens' teeth, I'm afraid. The more reliable (but still not guaranteed) avenue would be to get established in the UK at a company with a US presence, then apply for a transfer (L-1 visa).

By all means get yourself started on this course, but please don't think it is cut and dried.
Old Jun 9th 2018, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

KurtAJT is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi again,

First off, thankyou to everyone who has give good advice and helped me to understand how immigration works in the USA. I have a question though, say I applied for the Chicago pd from the UK, as you don't need to be a Chicago resident as of applying , would they count as an employer so I could get my visa that way?

Kurt
Old Jun 9th 2018, 3:50 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Hi again,

First off, thankyou to everyone who has give good advice and helped me to understand how immigration works in the USA. I have a question though, say I applied for the Chicago pd from the UK, as you don't need to be a Chicago resident as of applying , would they count as an employer so I could get my visa that way?

Kurt
You don't apply for a visa -- the employer has to be willing to apply for the visa for you, which obviously won't work in this situation as the police department is not going to use public funds to import officers from abroad.
Old Jun 9th 2018, 3:59 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi again,

No.

Rene
Old Jun 9th 2018, 4:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
No.

Rene
Thanks, I'll just stick to my original plan then for now.
Old Jun 9th 2018, 5:59 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Your plan still has some flaws and needs some tweaking. Very, very few employers sponsor green cards. And why would they? With a green card you are a permanent resident and able to live and work
wherever you want in the country. What’s the point of an employer going through all that expense for someone to say “see ya” as soon as the green card is in their hand and go and work for a competitor? Some employers sponsor visas. A visa does not necessarily lead to a green card (in many cases it doesn’t). You are making a huge assumption. We must also bear in mind that there is no guarantee that the situation that we have now will be the same in 10 or 15 years time regarding work visas.

I am always reluctant to advise people to go to university to study something that they probably don’t enjoy, racking up tens of thousands of debt, just to get a job that’s likely to qualify for a work visa. Are you even university material? This route is often mentioned on this forum like it’s as easy as walking into a bar and ordering a drink. University is great for some. I spent 7 years at university studying for 2 degrees and loved it. But I have three siblings who didn’t go at all and followed their own paths doing jobs they enjoy. You don’t have to be a university graduate to be successful or to have a job you enjoy.

You don't need to be a USC to get a drivers license here, by the way. And there is no such thing as a “US drivers license”. Each state issues their own licenses and they require that anyone who lives in the state, regardless of nationality, has a state-issued license. So, if you live in Chicago you have to have an Illinois license. Can’t use your UK one. But focus on getting a visa first. Citizenship is more than a decade away for you, if ever.
Old Jun 9th 2018, 6:00 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

OP: Were you born in England?
Old Jun 9th 2018, 6:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
Your plan still has some flaws and needs some tweaking. Very, very few employers sponsor green cards. And why would they? With a green card you are a permanent resident and able to live and work
wherever you want in the country. What’s the point of an employer going through all that expense for someone to say “see ya” as soon as the green card is in their hand and go and work for a competitor? Some employers sponsor visas. A visa does not necessarily lead to a green card (in many cases it doesn’t). You are making a huge assumption. We must also bear in mind that there is no guarantee that the situation that we have now will be the same in 10 or 15 years time regarding work visas.

I am always reluctant to advise people to go to university to study something that they probably don’t enjoy, racking up tens of thousands of debt, just to get a job that’s likely to qualify for a work visa. Are you even university material? This route is often mentioned on this forum like it’s as easy as walking into a bar and ordering a drink. University is great for some. I spent 7 years at university studying for 2 degrees and loved it. But I have three siblings who didn’t go at all and followed their own paths doing jobs they enjoy. You don’t have to be a university graduate to be successful or to have a job you enjoy.

You don't need to be a USC to get a drivers license here, by the way. And there is no such thing as a “US drivers license”. Each state issues their own licenses and they require that anyone who lives in the state, regardless of nationality, has a state-issued license. So, if you live in Chicago you have to have an Illinois license. Can’t use your UK one. But focus on getting a visa first. Citizenship is more than a decade away for you, if ever.
Thanks for the help , what would you think would be the best way to get a visa?
Old Jun 9th 2018, 6:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
OP: Were you born in England?
Yes I was
Old Jun 9th 2018, 6:42 pm

what would you think would be the best way to get a visa?
The "best" way is the way that works for you. It's different for everyone. You have several paths open to you, as has already been discussed.

Rene