Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

British Student Looking to Join NYPD

British Student Looking to Join NYPD

Old Jun 5th 2018, 9:13 pm
Just Joined

KurtAJT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British Student Looking to Join NYPD

Hello all,

I am a student living in England. I am currently 16, when I finish school, I wish to then move to New York and apply to join the NYPD. I understand that this process will take many years if even possible. I feel that if I managed to join law school in the U.S , it would land me with a better shot at being able to accomplish this dream. Unfortunately, I am not entirely sure of the regulations and requirements needed to get this job. If there is a way I could possibly move to the U.S and manage to live there and have a job in the NYPD, please may you tell me.
For some background information, in case it is needed, I am a fairly high achieving student with A's mostly across the board but with one C and two B's.

If anyone could fill me in on his it may be possible to move to New York despite having no family over there and be able to get into the NYPD, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thankyou.
Old Jun 5th 2018, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Student Looking to Join NYPD

Similar to 14 year old hoping to move to US to join NY or LA PD

Law school is for becoming an attorney. Unless you're wanting to join the state, I'm not sure how that will help you with NYPD.

The biggest obstacle you face is a path to US citizenship, assuming that is required for NYPD like most police forces.
Old Jun 5th 2018, 10:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE.

Only US citizens are accepted...

https://www.criminaljusticedegreesch...-requirements/
Old Jun 5th 2018, 10:16 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with the previous comments - lack of US citizenship is likely to be a insurmountable obstacle. Have a read of Pulaski's Ways.

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/nypd/caree...po-hiring.page

Requirements
Qualifying Age: The minimum age of appointment is 21 years old. However, candidates are eligible to take the Police Officer’s Entrance Exam at seventeen and one half (17½) years old. Candidates may take the Entrance Exam up until their 35th birthday.
Education: You must have earned 60 college credits with a minimum 2.0 GPA from an accredited institution or 2 years of active military service in the U.S. Armed Forces in order to be appointed to the title of Police Officer.
Residency: You must also be a United States citizen, have a valid New York driver license and live in one of the city's five boroughs or Nassau, Suffolk, Rockland, Westchester, Putnam or Orange counties within 30 days of being hired.
Disqualifiers: Candidates will be disqualified if they have been convicted of a felony, domestic violence misdemeanor, or have been dishonorably discharged from the military. Candidates may also be disqualified if they demonstrate a history of disrespect for the law, a tendency toward violence, termination from a job for poor behavior, or not adjusting to discipline.

Last edited by BritInParis; Jun 5th 2018 at 10:18 pm.
Old Jun 5th 2018, 10:22 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the help so far guys. I understand though that you need a green card in order to gain U.S citizenship along with other regulations of course. Is there anyway I could possibly get a green card without having family over there, a fiance or a job offer. For example, how useful would an immigration attorney prove?
Old Jun 5th 2018, 10:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KurtAJT
Thanks for the help so far guys. I understand though that you need a green card in order to gain U.S citizenship along with other regulations of course. Is there anyway I could possibly get a green card without having family over there, a fiance or a job offer. For example, how useful would an immigration attorney prove?
First you require a US visa to live and work in the US. This may or may not lead to a GC...which may lead to US citizenship.

Read through the link below...if you fit into one of the categories...you just may be in with a chance of obtaining a visa. Please bear in mind the US is one of the most difficult countries on the planet to move to.

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulas...ork_in_the_USA

You are young...get yourself a university education...then perhaps you could get a job with a company who is willing to transfer staff to their US office.
Old Jun 6th 2018, 1:08 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Why the NYPD? What do they have that the Met (or any other police force) doesn’t have?
Old Jun 6th 2018, 1:52 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe look to go to Uni in the US and take it from there?
Old Jun 6th 2018, 1:55 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
Why the NYPD? What do they have that the Met (or any other police force) doesn’t have?
New York City presumably.

Originally Posted by Boiler
Probably the OP's best bet other than online dating. Expensive mind. Maybe better to do undergrad in the UK first or look at scholarships like Fulbright.
Old Jun 6th 2018, 2:15 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
John Jay College of Criminal Justice springs to mind. But I wonder if the OP has ever visited NYC—everyday police work there is a far cry from what is depicted on TV shows.
Old Jun 7th 2018, 1:41 pm
Just Joined

ryry1987 is an unknown quantity at this point

does it have to be New York city? some other states offer police jobs to people who arent citizens such as Chicago, LA sherrif, and some upstate New York areas but the NYPD require you to be a citizen. Look at Chicago. they are actively recruiting but of course its an anti police climate at the moment.
Old Jun 7th 2018, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by ryry1987
does it have to be New York city? some other states offer police jobs to people who arent citizens such as Chicago, LA sherrif, and some upstate New York areas but the NYPD require you to be a citizen. Look at Chicago. they are actively recruiting but of course its an anti police climate at the moment.
Good spot but the OP would still need a Green Card so still has the same problem. With a Green Card citizenship is essentially just a matter of time; it's getting an immigrant visa which is the tricky part.
Old Jun 7th 2018, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

notaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond reputenotaclue has a reputation beyond repute

i came over as a student on an F1 visa. I was lucky enough to meet my wife and got my green card that way. I'm in the process for a few police departments in Ohio as they do not require citizenship, but it is rare to find a state with that flexibility.
Old Jun 7th 2018, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ryry1987
Thank you for the advice. I''ve looked over all the possible opportunities and all of the risks but I think that Chicago would be the best option because gaining US Citizenship is difficult without a spouse or other family members. My current plan is to go through university in England and have a job until I'm in a good financial position. Then I will look for an employer in Chicago who is willing to hire foreign workers. Then, they would petition for me to get a green card for permanent residency. If the interview goes well, and all of the processing of my background, financial stability and health situation, then I will have a valid green card. Then I will find a home in Chicago and move there. Then, after I've stayed with my employer for a while, I will apply to go into the police academy. Once I have gone through the academy, hopefully I will be hired. After 5 years with my valid green card, I will apply for US Citizenship. I will undergo the test and interview. Then if my application is accepted I can take the oath and become a US Citizen. This would then allow me to get a US passport and a US driving liscence. I have really studied and come up with this plan after a lot of time researching. If there are any other pieces of advice you could give me to help fix this plan in anyway , please tell me
Thanks for all the help so far!
Old Jun 7th 2018, 7:37 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Don't be too smart. They won't hire you if you're too intelligent.
https://www.globalresearch.ca/us-cou...-a-cop/5420630

In the meantime, practice beating people savagely without provocation while shouting "STOP RESISTING! STOP RESISTING!"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.