Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

British pasports for US-born children

British pasports for US-born children

Old Nov 14th 2016, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

KkksMm3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British pasports for US-born children

I'm in the process of applying for British passports for my US-born children (I'm a UK citizen and my husband is US). I have everything ready to go, but I can't seem to find out whether I have to send their ORIGINAL US birth certificates, or whether copies will suffice. Thanks.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 3:34 pm
Living the NYC dream

kateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British pasports for US-born children

I did this quite recently for my daughter and sent in the originals. It's quite nerve racking sending originals of everything, but I did get them returned to me within a week.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 3:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by kateinbrooklyn
I did this quite recently for my daughter and sent in the originals. It's quite nerve racking sending originals of everything, but I did get them returned to me within a week.
Ok thanks so much. You're right, it is nervewracking.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 3:42 pm
Living the NYC dream

kateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond reputekateinbrooklyn has a reputation beyond repute

It's a lot more expensive, but send them to the UK via DHL or FedEx as they are trackable. Also, don't be alarmed if the new passports arrive without the original documents as they returned in separate packages. Ours were returned via DHL a day later. Good luck! I was amazed how quick the process was.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KkksMm3
I have everything ready to go, but I can't seem to find out whether I have to send their ORIGINAL US birth certificates, or whether copies will suffice. Thanks.
I don't know what is the case in the US. However, in the UK, the 'original' birth certificate you received is really a certify copy of the original. The original stays in official hands.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Send originals. Remember though that an "original" is really just a certified copy of a birth record. You should have multiple copies of birth certs anyway. It's not a good idea to have only one. You can order more from your state's Division of Vital Records (or whatever the agency is called in your state).

Last edited by MarylandNed; Nov 14th 2016 at 5:09 pm.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

It's a lot more expensive, but send them to the UK via DHL or FedEx as they are trackable. Also, don't be alarmed if the new passports arrive without the original documents as they returned in separate packages. Ours were returned via DHL a day later. Good luck! I was amazed how quick the process was.
Hmmm, ok I was getting ready to head to the post office - I thought there's was trackable to! Do you happen to remember how much it was for Fedex? Thanks for the tip about the return mail, that's good to know.
So since you did this recently. do you mind if I run this by you for verification? I should have the signed declaration form, two pics (one signed), color copy of picture page of passport of the person who signed the declaration form, US birth certificate, and color copy of every page of their US passport for each child, plus my original UK birth certificate and marriage certificate.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KkksMm3
Hmmm, ok I was getting ready to head to the post office - I thought there's was trackable to! .
USPS Priority Mail International is trackable.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 4:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Be careful with sending some stuff signed for, I cant remember whether it was passports or something else, but some Government offices don't accept signed for items or they cause problems.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 6:56 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HKG3
I don't know what is the case in the US. However, in the UK, the 'original' birth certificate you received is really a certify copy of the original. The original stays in official hands.
It is exactly the same in the US. You will never have an original but a copy of the certificate with the appropriate state stamps authenticating them.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Madelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond repute

I sent off for my U.S born daughter at the same time as renewing my UK born son's passport - my Mum was going to England so she took the applications and mailed them recorded delivery - within 2 days I had notification of 2 DHL deliveries, one was my son's new passport and one was the return of his old one.... my daughter's still says processing and now i'm panicking that I did something wrong - I never applied for actual British Citizenship for her, simply sent off for a passport because it appeared to me on the website that all I needed was her and my birth certificates (mine of course showing me British) i'm right.... right? You didn't get the expensive UK citizenship thing for your child before applying for a passport, did you? (slight hijack of thread!)
Old Nov 14th 2016, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madelina
I sent off for my U.S born daughter at the same time as renewing my UK born son's passport - my Mum was going to England so she took the applications and mailed them recorded delivery - within 2 days I had notification of 2 DHL deliveries, one was my son's new passport and one was the return of his old one.... my daughter's still says processing and now i'm panicking that I did something wrong - I never applied for actual British Citizenship for her, simply sent off for a passport because it appeared to me on the website that all I needed was her and my birth certificates (mine of course showing me British) i'm right.... right?
A first time application can take much longer than a renewal/replacement of an existing passport.

Originally Posted by Madelina
You didn't get the expensive UK citizenship thing for your child before applying for a passport, did you? (slight hijack of thread!)
Consular birth registration is not necessary.
Old Nov 15th 2016, 7:51 pm
Living the NYC dream

USPS is only trackable in the USA, not once it reaches the UK.
Old Nov 15th 2016, 7:55 pm
Living the NYC dream

That sounds about right. I didn't send in marriage certificate but I'm not married! I also didn't send in the photocopy of the passport of the person countersigning it, just his passport number.
Old Nov 15th 2016, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

USPS is only trackable in the USA, not once it reaches the UK.
Incorrect. I used Priority Mail International and it tracks the whole way just like UPS or FedEx.

Last edited by MidAtlantic; Nov 15th 2016 at 8:12 pm.