Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

British National, New LLC, which Visa?

British National, New LLC, which Visa?

Old Jun 7th 2015, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

AtomicUK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British National, New LLC, which Visa?

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Yes, that is what Boiler said.

Rene
Thank you, I wasn't sure who / what OP was, but have since realised what that means.
Old Jun 8th 2015, 2:13 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

OP's questions are good ones. When OP consults with that lawyer, it will probably be a good idea to approach the matter from the point "this is my business plan, how do I accomplish it?' Then OP can get into specific visa categories.

My good friend J Craig Fong has done a fair amount of work in "the industry."
Old Jun 8th 2015, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
OP's questions are good ones. When OP consults with that lawyer, it will probably be a good idea to approach the matter from the point "this is my business plan, how do I accomplish it?' Then OP can get into specific visa categories.

My good friend J Craig Fong has done a fair amount of work in "the industry."
I have contacted an individual who's company name appears on these pages often, but thank you for the name of your friend who I will also contact.
Old Jun 8th 2015, 1:03 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AtomicUK
I am having trouble identifying the correct information and course of action.

I am looking to expand my UK business by adding a US LLC.
My wife (who works in the business) and I, will not require to live in the USA year round, just to be able to come and go as future work projects require.

Having explored the LLC and the market requirement, naturally the visa is a critical issue, but this is still something I have yet to find a definitive answer to in relation to my business which works in the music industry.

1) The E2:
I always hear the $200,000 amount brought up, that kind of investment is not an option for me into the new LLC.

2) The E1:
Between the UK company and the new LLC, the plan is to bring US trade to Europe and European trade to the US and I have proven track record with this, but to what level is the requirement for an E1 visa?

3) Would a third possible option be for an American national to open the LLC or at least be a joint share holder in the LLC and that application for a relevant sponsored visa is made based on that?

This LLC route is an option open to me, as I have several American nationals wishing to invest in the expansion.

Could the P2 work here?

4) An O1?

5) A P2 Visa from an another US company wishing to work with me.

Are there any other options visa wise?

We just need to be able to travel without having to apply for a set term (such as a specific P1/P2 for a tour for one artist as I have had in the past.)

Thank you in advance.
I assume you looked at the L1A for a new office:
L-1A Intracompany Transferee Executive or Manager | USCIS
Old Jun 8th 2015, 1:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tht
I assume you looked at the L1A for a new office:
L-1A Intracompany Transferee Executive or Manager | USCIS
The company is his wife and him.
Old Jun 8th 2015, 1:52 pm
tht

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
The company is his wife and him.
He does not say its ONLY him and his wife, I have seen L1's with very small companies, if it is a real business that is looking to expand it's an option worth exploring, the L lets you travel back and forth for up to 7 years and also give the option of a GC down the line if needed / wanted.
Old Jun 8th 2015, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tht
He does not say its ONLY him and his wife, I have seen L1's with very small companies, if it is a real business that is looking to expand it's an option worth exploring, the L lets you travel back and forth for up to 7 years and also give the option of a GC down the line if needed / wanted.
Thank you for the reply.
We operate in the UK with just the two of us full time and contract people for work when required.

However, in the US, we would have an option to immediately employ one or two US Citizens who also may become shareholders at start up.
Old Jun 8th 2015, 2:10 pm
tht

Thank you for the reply.
We operate in the UK with just the two of us full time and contract people for work when required.

However, in the US, we would have an option to immediately employ one or two US Citizens who also may become shareholders at start up.
You would need to discuss with your lawyer, but one thing to keep in mind is that a certain ownership % is required (not sure what as my experience is with 100% owned subs). So diluting ownership may make the possibility of an L go away.
Old Jun 8th 2015, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tht
You would need to discuss with your lawyer, but one thing to keep in mind is that a certain ownership % is required (not sure what as my experience is with 100% owned subs). So diluting ownership may make the possibility of an L go away.
Thank you.
It is for these reasons I am trying to be as flexible as I can over the set up at this stage and not commit to setting anything in stone until I know the best route.
Thank you again.
Old Jun 9th 2015, 4:56 am
Just Joined

Ady11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I have recently been looking into E2 and have spoken to a few lawyers about a smaller investment amount. Of course opinions vary but I have found a couple who say they can do it with less. Ian Scott routinely has cases with $50,000 investment. I haven't decided to go with him yet but thought it'd be useful to share.
Old Jun 9th 2015, 5:10 am
Account Closed

Routinely?

Exceptionally might be a better word.
Old Jun 9th 2015, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ady11
Hi, I have recently been looking into E2 and have spoken to a few lawyers about a smaller investment amount. Of course opinions vary but I have found a couple who say they can do it with less. Ian Scott routinely has cases with $50,000 investment. I haven't decided to go with him yet but thought it'd be useful to share.
I am waiting to hear back from / speak to a lawyer, so could someone clarify the situation over funds on the E2?

Is it cleared available funds in an account or a business asset worth?
i.e.: property, equipment, transport and available funds combined to show (for example) $100,000?
Old Jun 9th 2015, 12:02 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Ian Scott routinely has cases with $50,000 investment.
The important question is whether or not he has had success with such "routine" cases! Having the cases and being successful with them are two entirely different things.

Ian
Old Jun 9th 2015, 12:11 pm
Account Closed

I am waiting to hear back from / speak to a lawyer, so could someone clarify the situation over funds on the E2?

Is it cleared available funds in an account or a business asset worth?
i.e.: property, equipment, transport and available funds combined to show (for example) $100,000?
Business Plan will determine level of investment, usual for such funds to be show in ESCROW pending issuance of visa.
Old Jun 9th 2015, 5:49 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

<sigh> People always focus on the amount of the investment.

Many years back I attended a lecture by the attorney in the famous [at least in the immigration bar ] case of Walsh & Pollard which stands for the proposition that the amount of the investment does not necessarily determine whether it is "substantial." I recall Mr. Klasko talking about the amount of the investment being "a one year lease on a one room office, a desk, three chairs, a two line telephone, a fax machine and most important -- a potted plant."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.