Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

British Mum (w/3month old American daughter) denied B1/B2 visa to US...NEED HELP

Wikiposts

British Mum (w/3month old American daughter) denied B1/B2 visa to US...NEED HELP

Old Sep 15th 2010, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

Lissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really nice
Default Re: British Mum (w/3month old American daughter) denied B1/B2 visa to US...NEED HELP

Originally Posted by Marocco
From what she writes, it's not clear how her ESTA has been "revoked". They may have told her when they denied her application that she could no longer travel under the VWP, but I don't think that carries much weight. If she hasn't done it already, she should probably update her ESTA application giving details of the visa denial, and see what happens. I remember seeing at least one person in this forum who got an approval after a visa denial, despite being told he could no longer use the VWP.
I believe that you may be referring to my experience of being denied a US Tourist Visa last year, as a EU citizen, due to insufficient ties to my home country.
A couple of weeks after the visa denial I made a renewed ESTA application, declaring the denied visa. The ESTA application then came back denied.
Earlier this year I made another ESTA application, declaring the denied visa, and had my ESTA application approved.
Obviously, I was very pleasantly surprised by this unexpected outcome, but the whole experience left me with a huge question mark as for the seemingly mysterious ways of the US Immigration system...
Nothing had basically changed between ESTA application No.1 and application No.2, except the amount of time between the visa denial and the respective ESTA application.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 1:20 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Mum (w/3month old American daughter) denied B1/B2 visa to US...NEED HELP

Originally Posted by zamarano111
Attended an interview at the US consulate in London for a B1/B2 visa and my visa application was denied on grounds of "my ties to the US being stronger than ties to the UK". I'm British and my family is here in the UK; the exception of course is my 3month old daughter who is also an American citizen (her father is American, and she was born in the US). Anyway, I work and live in the UK and in the mean time I'm taking a year of maternity leave. While on leave our plan was for me to travel back to the US and spend the remainder of the leave there with the father of my child. We chose to apply for the B1/B2 visa because it would allow me to stay in the US for 6 months, which I couldn't do on the visa waiver program (the program only allows up to 90 days and extension while you are in the US is not possible on the waiver program).
Have you considered the risk that if you take your child to the USA, you may be prevented from taking the child back to the UK. Especially if you - or the child - could be deemed to have established residence in the USA. Be careful.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 1:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

EU Citizen?