Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Brit working in Canada but visiting US for business - ESTA Denied

Wikiposts

Brit working in Canada but visiting US for business - ESTA Denied

Old May 2nd 2010, 5:34 am
Busy at Work

lifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Brit working in Canada but visiting US for business - ESTA Denied

Originally Posted by Roxio
Talking about DHS Trip,just for your info,I travelled from London Heathrow to Chicago last night with a green card,knowing that my TRIP was 'redressed' about an year ago,the immigration still sent me to the secondary for 3/4 questions but was let go after 15 mins.
So this proves,even after you are cleared by TRIP,you can still make a trip to the secondary,as I did last night.
Did your letter actually said your records were corrected? Mine was a more generic " we can neither deny nor confirm anything" letter
Old May 2nd 2010, 5:41 am
Just Joined

Roxio is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lifehouse51
Did your letter actually said your records were corrected? Mine was a more generic " we can neither deny nor confirm anything" letter
I don't think it said anything like something was 'corrected'.It was vague and it only said case closed.Actually I lost that letter somewhere and trying hard to find it.They won't send a copy either.I should have been carrying it whenever I travel.
Old May 2nd 2010, 5:51 am
Busy at Work

lifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of light

I don't think it said anything like something was 'corrected'.It was vague and it only said case closed.Actually I lost that letter somewhere and trying hard to find it.They won't send a copy either.I should have been carrying it whenever I travel.
Mine said the review of the case is finished, but they can neither deny nor confirm that there were inaccuracies in my record, nor whether they have corrected anything. They just said that something along the line of "IF there is indeed any corrections that need to be made, assuming that there is any, then it would have been corrected"
Old May 2nd 2010, 10:34 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lifehouse51
Mine said the review of the case is finished, but they can neither deny nor confirm that there were inaccuracies in my record, nor whether they have corrected anything. They just said that something along the line of "IF there is indeed any corrections that need to be made, assuming that there is any, then it would have been corrected"
So in effect they make the text of the letter as vague as possible so as to fully cover their own base.The whole process leads to nothing if someone keeps going to the secondary.All this after I had submitted so many documents and their decision took several months.
Old May 6th 2010, 8:50 am
Just Joined

Has anyone been sent to the secondary despite having been done with DHS TRIP?
Old May 6th 2010, 11:51 am
Busy at Work

Has anyone been sent to the secondary despite having been done with DHS TRIP?
Well I'll find out when I enter the U.S. in mid-June.

For my case, I wasn't asked to submit additional documents. I initially submitted copies of my I-20, Diploma, Transcript, and Passport info page without them requesting for them. It took a little over one month from the submissions before they mail out the decision letter. I guess every case's different.
Old Sep 21st 2010, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

tyrian is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tyrian
I wanted to give everyone an update. I had an interview for a B1/B2 visa at the Toronto consulate yesterday. The person behind the counter said that I was eligible for a visa, but needed to find out why I was refused Visa Waiver entry to the US. She gave me a "Notice of Suspension" form 221g, with a box "Administrative Review" ticked.

She said it would be one to two months before they got back to me by email.

Looks like I won't be going to the conference in NY at the end of May

Tyrian
Here's an update, after this saga originally began earlier this year

Two weeks ago I finally recieved an email saying that I should resubmit my passport together with the yellow "Notice of Suspension" form to the Toronto Consulate!

On the same day (not wanting to waste more time), I drove to the Consulate in Toronto, and handed my passport and yellow form. I was told I'd have my passport with a visa back in a week.

However, it's been 13 days now and I still haven't had my passport back. I'm getting worried. How long does it usually take to send my passports back (they have a Canada XpressPost envelopte I've already given them)

Tyrian
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

Here's an update, after this saga originally began earlier this year

Two weeks ago I finally recieved an email saying that I should resubmit my passport together with the yellow "Notice of Suspension" form to the Toronto Consulate!

On the same day (not wanting to waste more time), I drove to the Consulate in Toronto, and handed my passport and yellow form. I was told I'd have my passport with a visa back in a week.

However, it's been 13 days now and I still haven't had my passport back. I'm getting worried. How long does it usually take to send my passports back (they have a Canada XpressPost envelopte I've already given them)

Tyrian
The saga continues. Today I received the following email.

================================================== ===
U.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE
U.S. CONSULATE GENERAL, TORONTO

360 University Avenue, Toronto, ON M5G 1S4 Canada
P.O. Box 135, Lewiston NY 14092-0135 USA
Facsimile 416 595 5466; toronto.usconsulate.gov

ADDITIONAL ADMINISTRATIVE REVIEW REQUIRED

Date: September 22, 2010

Dear qwerty:

Thank you for returning your passport to us. Unfortunately, subsequent to our previous contact with you, our office discovered that your application requires further administrative processing under Section 221(g) of the Immigration and Nationality Act, as amended (INA). Please be assured that we will notify you again as soon as we receive a response indicating that we may issue a visa to you.

Please understand that the INA makes the applicant, and not the U.S. government, solely responsible for qualifying for a visa in time to suit his/her needs. We can offer no prior assurance of eligibility to any applicant for any reason at any time.

American Consul
================================================== ===

So now the US consulate has my passport (after informing me by email that administrative review was complete), and they still won't give me a visa, and they won't give me a timeline for its return.

This is worrying because I'm a British citizen working in Canada, and now I can't travel out of Canada because I don't have my passport.

Tyrian
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 1:04 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

This is worrying because I'm a British citizen working in Canada, and now I can't travel out of Canada because I don't have my passport.
You can always get either an emergency passport or transportation documents from the British Embassy in Ottawa.

Ian
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 1:22 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You can always get either an emergency passport or transportation documents from the British Embassy in Ottawa.

Ian
Or, request the passport back from the Consulate. (international) Travel between now and the completion of your AP may result in the AP being re-run.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 3:09 am
Forum Regular

Hello everyone.

An update...two weeks ago, the US Consulate contaced me again asking me to resubmit my passport.

My passport was returned today with a ten year B1/B2 visa. This processes has taken 11 months (since I was originally refused ESTA travel, visa application and Notice of Suspension for further background checks).

Thank you all for your advice and assistance

Tyrian
Old Feb 1st 2011, 3:29 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

My passport was returned today with a ten year B1/B2 visa.
Glad to hear it all worked out.

Ian