Break in residency

Old Sep 7th 2014, 7:30 pm
FGB
Just Joined

FGB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Break in residency

Naturalization question :

I have had a greencard since 2009. I was out of the country for two years and two months a few years back, but was allowed back as it was deemed I had not abandoned my status. I was not working for a US entity, but the absence was beyond my control.

So question now is

1. Am I allowed to apply for citizenship four years and one day after my return ( rather than having to wait the full five years) ?

2. Can I also apply the 90 day early filing date to this 4 years and one day rule ?
Old Sep 7th 2014, 8:03 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Break in residency

Volume 12 - Citizenship & Naturalization | Policy Manual | USCIS
Old Sep 7th 2014, 10:26 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FGB
1. Am I allowed to apply for citizenship four years and one day after my return ( rather than having to wait the full five years) ?
Yes.

2. Can I also apply the 90 day early filing date to this 4 years and one day rule ?
No, I don't believe so in this circumstance.

Ian
Old Sep 8th 2014, 12:48 pm
FGB
Just Joined

FGB is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Gents.
Old Sep 8th 2014, 2:09 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

In the FWIW department, when I was in practice, I had a case where we applied the four year plus one day rule and filed "early."

MY interpretation is that this is just fine. However, the minions of the Dark Forces disagreed and on the availability of the 90 day rule stating that their interpretation was that the rule for early filing was not applicable once there was a break in continuity of residence.

I believe they were wrong, but it was easier, quicker and cheaper simply to start over again.