Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Boyfriend on L1 visa - what about me?

Wikiposts

Boyfriend on L1 visa - what about me?

Old Oct 11th 2013, 11:18 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Boyfriend on L1 visa - what about me?

Given the HR lameness, boyfriend's L1 does not sound like a done deal yet.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

californiagirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all your replies! Boyfriend is talking to HR this week, but yes they do sound totally useless so I'm not even counting on this move happening. But. I've decided if it comes to it that the only way is for us to get married, then we get married. Its not like it wasn't ever going to happen anyway
Old Oct 17th 2013, 2:00 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by californiagirl
Thanks for all your replies! Boyfriend is talking to HR this week, but yes they do sound totally useless so I'm not even counting on this move happening. But. I've decided if it comes to it that the only way is for us to get married, then we get married. Its not like it wasn't ever going to happen anyway
Great decision -- good luck to you! Hey, if you're willing to give up your life and move half way around the world with him, why not be in a position to be an equal participant in the experience, rather than something of an onlooker.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 2:41 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Wow ... I'm impressed that he is willing to give up the opportunity to see and work in a different part of the world for you. He must love you a great deal.

Hello all.
New here and have been reading with interest!
My long-term boyfriend has been offered a to relocate with his current UK company to San Francisco (swoon). He has accepted the position, but on the condition they can arrange for me to work as well. The HR people have said he must make sure he refers to me as 'life partner' and not girlfriend, which gives me hope we can do this. We will marry at some point, I just don't want to have to get married in order to get a visa. I'd rather do it in our time.

Does anyone know about non-wifes being allowed to work when their partner has an L1 visa??

Thanks in advance

kate
Old Oct 17th 2013, 2:45 am
Forum Regular

I'm confused? He's not giving up the opportunity at all! We're going for it.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 3:09 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I'm confused? He's not giving up the opportunity at all! We're going for it.
She's pulling your leg, that caveat is virtually impossible for the company to meet. As you now know, you can get married and get a visa allowing you to work, but arranging for a working visa for you as a girlfriend can't happen.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 17th 2013 at 3:11 am.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 3:19 am
Forum Regular

Ohhhh I see! Yep I'll be interested to hear how that conversation with HR goes
Old Oct 17th 2013, 4:52 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

I have always been 'i will be where the jobs are' kinda guy. we moved from Sydney to San Francisco in 2010 (when unemployment here was something close to 15%!!).....when I got the job offer, I pounced on it. I didn't want to regret asking myself 'what would it have been'. I am still here and I love it. I love it not because Sydney was bad...but this has turned out to be an excellent opportunity.
My wife, except for the first day I told her and she was overcome with fear for the lack of better word, supported me completely. We got the job when we were on travel, went back to Sydney, and were back here in 3 weeks (yes three weeks...including us getting the visa, renting the home, selling 2 cars, leaving friends behind etc.).

Moral of the story - It was great to have both my wife and I go for an opportunity. It was great for me to have her support..and it was great she saw my drive to move for a better position.

Glad to see you both are supporting each other. That's the only way it should be !!
Old Oct 18th 2013, 11:18 pm
Just Joined

Doubledave is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm going through the same thing right now Kate. I'm over here on an L1 Visa and my Partner (long term - 11 years odd) is back in the UK because it was all so rushed when the job came up, and she stayed to look after our house and animals. I've been going back and forth to the UK and we now want her to move over here and are trying to figure it all out. A rushed marriage is freaking her out a bit as we had plans for it to be a more natural and easy process. We aren't church going people anyway but a quick registry office job followed by beers at the pub crammed in to a week holiday back in the UK is all rather daunting.

Be careful though - if you are serious taking up the opportunity (and I seriously recommend you do!), then don't mess the company around too much. You want things to be kind of easy for them or they may decide it involves too much paperwork or time, or is an uncertain deal, and it may become 'non viable' - giving them reason to pull the plug. Holding your work status ransom for his willingness to be 'in with both feet' might tip the deal into uncertainty. It's just a thought - but I think he should just be all yes's - nod his head and say he'll be there.

His company will have to do the blanket petition for his L1 visa regardless of your situation - and once you are married I'm given to believe that your spousal visa is as good as yours (it's your right). You organise an appointment at the consulate and provide your details, marriage cert, passport and some details on his L1 and jobs a goodun'. (you will have to stay in the UK for 2-4 months though for the visa to be put in your passport - so you may have to stay with parents/friends while this happens, depending on if you marry before he goes or not)
Before you get married, there is nothing to stop you from getting a VWP visitor visa and just coming back (safely within) every 90 days and seeing friends and family until you are married.

Mods and others - feel free to chirp in if I have missed anything - I'm still trying to figure it out myself! Good luck Kate.
Old Oct 19th 2013, 12:32 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Doubledave
... once you are married I'm given to believe that your spousal visa is as good as yours (it's your right).
I disagree with this final bit. No one, ever, has a right to a visa. That implies that even if there is something which would normally bar the person from getting a visa, they can get one anyway... and that's just not true. What is true, though, is that someone who is married to a primary visa holder can apply for a derivative visa... and that derivative visa is usually issued. Operative word = usually!

Before you get married, there is nothing to stop you from getting a VWP visitor visa...
Your loose use of terminology is confusing. VWP = visa waiver program = there is no visa = the visa requirement is waived. There is no such thing as a VWP visa... because there is no visa.

Anyway... just me being pedantic - but it's always important to use the correct terminology, as it avoids confusion.

Ian
Old Oct 19th 2013, 4:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Doubledave

His company will have to do the blanket petition for his L1 visa regardless of your situation - and once you are married I'm given to believe that your spousal visa is as good as yours (it's your right). You organise an appointment at the consulate and provide your details, marriage cert, passport and some details on his L1 and jobs a goodun'. (you will have to stay in the UK for 2-4 months though for the visa to be put in your passport - so you may have to stay with parents/friends while this happens, depending on if you marry before he goes or not)
Before you get married, there is nothing to stop you from getting a VWP visitor visa and just coming back (safely within) every 90 days and seeing friends and family until you are married.

Mods and others - feel free to chirp in if I have missed anything - I'm still trying to figure it out myself! Good luck Kate.
Not sure why you think she'd have to stay in the UK for 2-4 months to get the visa stamped. Get married, get the certificate and make an apt at the consulate, go for visa interview and then passport gets sent back to you within 5-7 days. I did my derivative visa interview in Toronto.
Congrats on your impending wedding