Bordering on ridiculos

Old Jul 7th 2009, 10:14 pm
  #1  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 360
London7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud of
Default Bordering on ridiculos

Boom boom.sorry could not resist,gotta have humour huh?

Hi all, you may recall, back in feb, I was deatined at the border (I am in a relationship with us citizen) I live on a border town, so cross frequently.

Anyway, upshot was, i was told to carry ties etc...........fair enough

I then decided to come in less ofter, so only every few weeks, even leaving gaps as much as 6 weeks.

Crossing was fine in the interim, straight to secondary, but the officers were nice, apologetic, a little embarresed, etc

Then, i crossed Friday for the weekend.

Deatined for 2 hours, phone confiscated, ex husband telephoned to verify my story about my 5 year old etc.

It was horrid.

The officer said I have weak ties.

I rent a condo, have utility bills, have a daughter in school, but he said all of that is weak?????

I said, i am carrying exactly what your officers told me to.....

He said.......you could be coming in and planning to stay as an illegal.

I said.officer, i have a daughter in BC, i am a lawyer, why would I do that???

I said if and when i want to live here, i would apply for TN legally

He said, please understand illegals ruin it for the honest folk like you???

I left feeling very shaken.......AGAIN

just wanted to get some advice on ties.i thought i was doing everything right???

thnaks in advance

London7 is offline  
Old Jul 7th 2009, 10:26 pm
  #2  
MODERATOR
 
Noorah101's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 58,604
Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bordering on ridiculos

Originally Posted by London7 View Post
just wanted to get some advice on ties.i thought i was doing everything right???
It's not just about showing ties. It's about how often you come to the USA, the reason for your visits (having a relationship with a USC does not help you here, it works against you), length of stays, how long you've been doing this, what kind of day the POE officer is having, etc.

The officer didn't mean you'd stay in the USA illegally, he meant that you might be trying to live in the USA without the proper visa or status to do so. He had the belief that you might have the intent to stay in the USA to be with your SO, marry, and adjust your status to Permanent Resident...something that is not allowed as a visitor.

You might want to lessen the visits, and have the USC visit you instead, for a while.

Rene
Noorah101 is online now  
Old Jul 7th 2009, 10:37 pm
  #3  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 360
London7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Bordering on ridiculos

Originally Posted by Noorah101 View Post
It's not just about showing ties. It's about how often you come to the USA, the reason for your visits (having a relationship with a USC does not help you here, it works against you), length of stays, how long you've been doing this, what kind of day the POE officer is having, etc.

The officer didn't mean you'd stay in the USA illegally, he meant that you might be trying to live in the USA without the proper visa or status to do so. He had the belief that you might have the intent to stay in the USA to be with your SO, marry, and adjust your status to Permanent Resident...something that is not allowed as a visitor.

You might want to lessen the visits, and have the USC visit you instead, for a while.

Rene

Hi Rene

Thanks for the reply, I certainly have lessened my visits, thats why I was a little surprised that it was an issue again, but I guess its something I just have to live with. I have told my US boyfriend, he must come up for a while now, and I am off to england in Septem,ber for 3 weeks, so hopefully this will help.

I do understand their concern, but I think they sometimes do this just because they can, not out of genuine concern for their countrys illegal problem.

London7 is offline  
Old Jul 7th 2009, 10:58 pm
  #4  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 16,266
Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bordering on ridiculos

Originally Posted by London7 View Post
Boom boom.sorry could not resist,gotta have humour huh?

Hi all, you may recall, back in feb, I was deatined at the border (I am in a relationship with us citizen) I live on a border town, so cross frequently.

Anyway, upshot was, i was told to carry ties etc...........fair enough

I then decided to come in less ofter, so only every few weeks, even leaving gaps as much as 6 weeks.

Crossing was fine in the interim, straight to secondary, but the officers were nice, apologetic, a little embarresed, etc

Then, i crossed Friday for the weekend.

Deatined for 2 hours, phone confiscated, ex husband telephoned to verify my story about my 5 year old etc.

It was horrid.

The officer said I have weak ties.

I rent a condo, have utility bills, have a daughter in school, but he said all of that is weak?????

I said, i am carrying exactly what your officers told me to.....

He said.......you could be coming in and planning to stay as an illegal.

I said.officer, i have a daughter in BC, i am a lawyer, why would I do that???

I said if and when i want to live here, i would apply for TN legally

He said, please understand illegals ruin it for the honest folk like you???

I left feeling very shaken.......AGAIN

just wanted to get some advice on ties.i thought i was doing everything right???

thnaks in advance

One lawyer to another:

"No judicial review."

One person to another:

"Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

Of course, from a sojourn crossing into Canada via car with small children, there is a Canadian immigration officer I particularly don't like. He kept asking about my firearms and was EXTREMELY dissatisfied with the truth that I don't own any. I may have once had custody of an M-16A1 manufactured by the Frigidaire division of General Motors, but that was related to employment where I had to wear green clothes all the time. I was allowed to keep the green clothes, but they kept the M-16.
Folinskyinla is offline  
Old Jul 7th 2009, 11:53 pm
  #5  
Forum Regular
 
malj's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 68
malj has a spectacular aura aboutmalj has a spectacular aura aboutmalj has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Bordering on ridiculos

Don't mean to sound rude, but... you're a lawyer? With that sort of grammar and syntax?
malj is offline  
Old Jul 7th 2009, 11:56 pm
  #6  
Shocked of Redmond
 
nettlebed's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 3,446
nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bordering on ridiculos

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla View Post
I may have once had custody of an M-16A1 manufactured by the Frigidaire division of General Motors, but that was related to employment where I had to wear green clothes all the time. I was allowed to keep the green clothes, but they kept the M-16.
Leprechaun National Guard?
nettlebed is offline  
Old Jul 8th 2009, 12:24 am
  #7  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 360
London7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud ofLondon7 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Bordering on ridiculos

Mr F
I hear you.
I shot an M-16 a while back, wow, it was sooooooooooooo much fun!!!!
I will meditate before each crossing in the future.....




"No judicial review."

One person to another:

"Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

Of course, from a sojourn crossing into Canada via car with small children, there is a Canadian immigration officer I particularly don't like. He kept asking about my firearms and was EXTREMELY dissatisfied with the truth that I don't own any. I may have once had custody of an M-16A1 manufactured by the Frigidaire division of General Motors, but that was related to employment where I had to wear green clothes all the time. I was allowed to keep the green clothes, but they kept the M-16.[/QUOTE]
London7 is offline  
Old Jul 8th 2009, 3:39 am
  #8  
crg
American Expat
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 7,598
crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bordering on ridiculos

Originally Posted by malj View Post
Don't mean to sound rude, but... you're a lawyer? With that sort of grammar and syntax?
This is a free public forum, not an English exam. We judge on content and accuracy instead of precise grammar and punctuation.
crg is offline  
Old Jul 8th 2009, 4:23 am
  #9  
Bob
BE Site Lead
 
Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: MA, USA
Posts: 92,113
Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bordering on ridiculos

Originally Posted by crg14624 View Post
This is a free public forum, not an English exam. We judge on content and accuracy instead of precise grammar and punctuation.
But it helps...this isn't the lounge after all.

Anyway, to the OP, get your SO's lazy arse to go visit you for a while and that'll sort things out.
Bob is offline  
Old Jul 8th 2009, 5:08 am
  #10  
Arrogant ****
 
dbj1000's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 4,323
dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bordering on ridiculos

Originally Posted by malj View Post
Don't mean to sound rude, but... you're a lawyer? With that sort of grammar and syntax?
If you're going to be rude, have the balls to be rude without a pathetic "don't mean to be rude" cop-out.

Folinsky's one of the most constructive, useful, helpful and intelligent people posting on these boards. He's helped countless people with complex immigration issues.

What's your contribution, other than Grammar Police?
dbj1000 is offline  
Old Jul 8th 2009, 5:11 am
  #11  
Arrogant ****
 
dbj1000's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 4,323
dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bordering on ridiculos

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
But it helps...this isn't the lounge after all.

Anyway, to the OP, get your SO's lazy arse to go visit you for a while and that'll sort things out.
LMFAO! Bob, you talking about grammar, spelling and punctuation?!?

dbj1000 is offline  
Old Jul 8th 2009, 6:38 am
  #12  
Forum Regular
 
malj's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 68
malj has a spectacular aura aboutmalj has a spectacular aura aboutmalj has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Bordering on ridiculos

The OP said they were a lawyer. Nothing to do with F.
malj is offline  
Old Jul 8th 2009, 12:59 pm
  #13  
Arrogant ****
 
dbj1000's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 4,323
dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bordering on ridiculos

Originally Posted by malj View Post
The OP said they were a lawyer. Nothing to do with F.
BBC: Monkey's can spot Bad Grammar
dbj1000 is offline  
Old Jul 8th 2009, 2:34 pm
  #14  
Bob
BE Site Lead
 
Bob's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: MA, USA
Posts: 92,113
Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bordering on ridiculos

Originally Posted by dbj1000 View Post
LMFAO! Bob, you talking about grammar, spelling and punctuation?!?

Like I said, this isn't the lounge where it doesn't matter.

Coherent block of text helps when you've got a serious issue.
Bob is offline  
Old Jul 8th 2009, 3:01 pm
  #15  
crg
American Expat
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 7,598
crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bordering on ridiculos

It's possible they think the OP is over doing legal work. The "I'd just get a TN" doesn't really convince them because you would need a firm/employer to get a TN. Canadian attorney's have been ordered removed for practicing law in the US without authorization or representing their own clients in addition to the ones they were assigned to by their authorized employer.

Did they let you in last time? Do you continuously update your proof of ties? Sometimes inspections can take two hours. They don't have a set time limit on how long it will take. It's not Burger King (Your way, right away).
crg is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.