Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

A Border Tale or the Importance of keeping quiet

Wikiposts

A Border Tale or the Importance of keeping quiet

Old Mar 24th 2010, 3:52 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Border Tale or the Importance of keeping quiet

Originally Posted by Boiler
I googled his name.
Boiler neocon gives us 53,100 hits
Boiler communist gives us 705,000 hits
Boiler liberal only gives us 535,000 hits.

QED -- you're a communist!

Last edited by fatbrit; Mar 24th 2010 at 3:55 am.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 3:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Boiler neocon gives us 53,100 hits
Boiler communist gives us 705,000 hits
Boiler liberal only gives us 535,000 hits.

QED -- you're a communist!
And I never knew....

Thanks.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 3:58 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
And I never knew....

Thanks.
Google knows you better than you know yourself.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

wordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to beholdwordfool is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by crg
The jury agreed. It's funny how the blogosphere thinks they know more than a jury.
Oh I don't know... the juries I've served on had some staggeringly ignorant and stupid members.

But I agree with your observation. It seems this guy was typical of the sort of people who yell "police brutality" when they ignore police instructions, break the law and are then forcibly restrained and arrested.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 5:03 am
Forum Regular

Lissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really nice

Originally Posted by wordfool
Oh I don't know... the juries I've served on had some staggeringly ignorant and stupid members.

But I agree with your observation. It seems this guy was typical of the sort of people who yell "police brutality" when they ignore police instructions, break the law and are then forcibly restrained and arrested.
Why do you, and quite a few others, automatically presume that Mr Watts broke any law(s).
You were not there, I was not there. None of us were there.
It is just a rather interesting observation that surprisingly many people seem inclined to unquestioningly side with the CBP agents here.
I keep wondering why this is....
Old Mar 25th 2010, 5:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lissbovavd
Why do you, and quite a few others, automatically presume that Mr Watts broke any law(s).
It is just a rather interesting observation that surprisingly many people seem inclined to unquestioningly side with the CBP agents here.
I was going on the basis he was found guilty in a court of law.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 6:33 am
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

He was found guilty by a jury in a court of law wasn't he?
That is correct.

I don't know about that, suggesting that it's a good idea to to comply with what an armed officer tells you to do, is not the same as taking the side of the officer. It's just common sense. There is always the option to sue afterwards.

Honestly though, I don't get what your point is.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 6:52 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't presume anything until the case was decided by a jury. None of us were there, so the way such things are sorted out is by a jury trial. He broke the law. 12 people agreed on that topic. All it took was one of the 12 to prevent the finding of guilt at that trial. The prosecution proved its case to 12 people beyond a reasonable doubt. Once that took place, we had our answer.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 6:58 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

I don't presume anything. In fact, until the jury returns, Mr. Watts was an "alleged" lawbreaker. In fact, due to libel laws, the press will always used the word "alleged" once formal charges have been filed. The jury has returned a verdict -- that becomes a legal FACT. That said, it should be said that the conviction is not "final" while it is on direct appeal -- although it is not uncommon for the defendant to be remanded to custody while on appeal.
Old Mar 25th 2010, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
It's a he said; they said case and it would appear that a jury found for the agent and not the writer.
And so often in such cases the jury tends to side with the authorities. Not saying that's right or wrong but seems to be the way it is. Of course we don't know all the facts, just looking in from outside.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 4:38 am
Forum Regular

Lissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really nice

Having researched this case as far as possible, my reluctant conclusion would have to be that passing through any US POE nowadays would seem to be tantamount to running a number of not insignificant risks.
Any visiting "alien" in fact relinquishes practically all human and legal rights when passing through the legally grey zone of the POE while at the mercy of the CBP.

I love the US for its wonderful people and the amazing sights and stunning nature, but a story such as this has regrettably put me off returning for quite some time.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 5:03 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry that you won't be availing yourself of the nice things you like about the US simply because of one man's problem at a POE. Regardless of how much research you did about this case, you were not there, you do not have access to first hand witness and have only news reports and a jury decision to rely upon for facts.

While you base your decision on the consequences of one man's issue at a POE, you are discounting the thousands of others that day that did not have an issue.

Are the border agent's less forgiving and less casual then their counterparts prior to 9/11/2001? You're darn right they are and they have good reason for it IMHO. Getting into must countries these days is not a sure thing or without peril.

If you are willing to adhere to the guidelines at entry, then what might be your problem?
Old Mar 26th 2010, 5:31 am
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

I think the underlying issue is that he can not obtain a Burger King visa.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 6:36 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I love the US for its wonderful people and the amazing sights and stunning nature, but a story such as this has regrettably put me off returning for quite some time.
You'd already decided you were put off from returning for quite some time. In fact, you are convinced that you are unable to return for quite some time.

Seems a bit of hyperbole to credit this case with your decision.
Old Mar 26th 2010, 8:34 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
You'd already decided you were put off from returning for quite some time. In fact, you are convinced that you are unable to return for quite some time.

Seems a bit of hyperbole to credit this case with your decision.
The OP's ax is very, very sharp by now...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.