Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

A Border Tale or the Importance of keeping quiet

Wikiposts

A Border Tale or the Importance of keeping quiet

Old Mar 23rd 2010, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Border Tale or the Importance of keeping quiet

Originally Posted by crg
It seems to me that when someone who is wearing a badge and a gun tells you to remain in the car, you should probably do it.
Agreed. My brother in law is a retired cop, and we have discussed traffic stops many times. Traffic stops is considered one of the more dangerous tasks a police officer can perform, since he/she does not know what they are walking into - and the officer will be on edge. Best thing to do is to remain seated in the car, roll down the window, and keep your hands where the officer can see them - which for the driver would be on the steering wheel. This will usually calm everyone's nerves.

Getting out of the car when not instructed to do so, is considered a potentially hostile act, and will not defuse an already tense situation.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 12:43 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crg
I've been following this news story. It seems to me that when someone who is wearing a badge and a gun tells you to remain in the car, you should probably do it. This guy allegedly thought he could pile out of the car to ask some questions after being told not to, and then refused to lie on the ground after the scuffle. He thinks that should be legal.

What if everyone was allowed to do that? What if in the middle of the night on a deserted road a cop pulls over a car and all five occupants decide to exercise their legal right to pile out of the car, approach the cop and ask some questions? That doesn't sound too safe to me.

Cops aren't super human. One good sucker punch and they could find themselves shot dead with their own gun. They have a good reason to keep people at a distance and under control while conducting their official duties. It's a crime not to comply and it should be.

The jury agreed. It's funny how the blogosphere thinks they know more than a jury.
Everything you say is eminently reasonable -- based on the premise that America is a police state, which of course it is.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 1:05 am
A I
not even a fake TV lawyer

A I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud ofA I has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by robin1234
Everything you say is eminently reasonable -- based on the premise that America is a police state, which of course it is.

Police state or not... If you get out and approach an Armed Man ordering you to stay in the car, you are an idiot for trusting your life that he will be "reasonable" and let you complain about the treatment without getting shot.

My 2 cents
Old Mar 24th 2010, 1:08 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by A I
Police state or not... If you get out and approach an Armed Man ordering you to stay in the car, you are an idiot for trusting your life that he will be "reasonable" and let you complain about the treatment without getting shot.

My 2 cents
Obviously, I agree 100%. In a police state you definitely obey the police, any other course would be madness.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 1:20 am
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously, I agree 100%. In a police state you definitely obey the police, any other course would be madness.
Sure, in a police state you comply with the man with the gun, no questions asked.

In the US on the other hand, you comply with the man with the gun and sue him and his department afterwards if you feel you have been abused or violated. That's what the courts are for.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 1:54 am
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

As mentioned above, the UK, Canada and the US have trial by jury. Personally, I think that is antithetical to a "police state."
Old Mar 24th 2010, 3:03 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Every profession has their share of bad apples. Name one that doesn't. However, that is no reason to disparage an entire group of people or just take the word of some fiction author who claims he was wronged.

I have family members who are police officers. If you pay attention to media reports you'll see that it is a dangerous job filled with split second decisions and no shortage of people willing to chime in about how the police handled it wrong.

If some intruder ever breaks into your home with the intention to harm you or someone you love, feel free skip the call to 911 and offer them hugs and a magic unicorn that toots rainbows and poops skittles. See how that works out for you.

Last edited by crg; Mar 24th 2010 at 3:08 am.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 3:06 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
As mentioned above, the UK, Canada and the US have trial by jury. Personally, I think that is antithetical to a "police state."
British folks find it weird that every cops believes you're out to kill him or her. It's a cultural difference.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 3:09 am
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by crg
Every profession has their share of bad apples. Name one that doesn't. However, that is no reason to disparage an entire group of people.

I have family members who are police officers. If you pay attention to media reports you'll see that it is a dangerous job filled with split second decisions and no shortage of people willing to chime in about how the police handled it wrong.

If some intruder ever breaks into your home with the intention to harm you or someone you love, feel free skip the call to 911 and offer them hugs and a magic unicorn that poops rainbows and skittles. See how that works out for you.
Sure, I know several police officers here too; local police, sheriff's deputies, border patrol & state troopers. They are all good people and I always get on well with them and their colleagues. I'm not sure where your coming from in your last paragraph, of course I'd dial 911 if I needed police help...?
Old Mar 24th 2010, 3:25 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Sure, I know several police officers here too; local police, sheriff's deputies, border patrol & state troopers. They are all good people and I always get on well with them and their colleagues. I'm not sure where your coming from in your last paragraph, of course I'd dial 911 if I needed police help...?
Maybe I misunderstood. You seemed to hold them in such low regard as an apparatchik of the police state. I thought you would be too fearful or distrustful to call them.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 3:28 am
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by crg
Maybe I misunderstood. You seemed to hold them in such low regard as an apparatchik of the police state. I thought you would be too fearful or distrustful to call them.
I hold individual officers in high regard, but tend to distrust the police state they have to work for..
Old Mar 24th 2010, 3:31 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like this guy considers himself one of the liberal elite, the same rules do not apply to him as they do to the little people.

Nice to see he got his comeuppance.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 3:41 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Sounds like this guy considers himself one of the liberal elite, the same rules do not apply to him as they do to the little people.
And we're basing this label on what?
Old Mar 24th 2010, 3:44 am
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by Boiler

Nice to see he got his comeuppance.
What "liberal elite"? What "little people"? Talk about class hatred.
Old Mar 24th 2010, 3:49 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fatbrit
And we're basing this label on what?
I googled his name.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.