Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Biometrics for I751...and advise for anyone with name change!

Biometrics for I751...and advise for anyone with name change!

Old Jun 2nd 2011, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

welshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud of
Default Biometrics for I751...and advise for anyone with name change!

Just an update that today I had my biometrics appointment, for 10am in Alexandria.

Hubby and I left at 8am, and arrived at the USCIS building at 9.45am. We walked in with just the letter sent to me, and my ID. First and only hiccup of the day...for my original PR card I applied in my maiden name. It was always the intention that I would add hubby's last name for the new card, so I applied for it as _______ B__-D___ (if that makes sense?!)

So when I get up to the counter and the 'guard' says "where's your ID with your full name on" to which I reply "this is my married name, all of my documents still say my maiden name. He then insists that he has to have a piece of ID with the name on the letter on it. I say that I have only just applied for this, and that I am waiting for this new card with the hyphenated name before I change my other cards, IDs, etc.

He then says "Well I need to see your marriage certificate", to which I, despite being pretty annoyed, reply calmly that I do not carry my marriage certificate, and the letter did not ask me to bring it.

SO the advise is that if you are changing your name you might want to take your marriage certificate along with you just in case

Mr guard then goes into a ramble about how he supposes he will let me in, but that I should be warned that they probably wouldn't enter it into the system under the 'new' name, and that when I go to interview, because according to him I most likely will get an interview, I will have to request the name change then.

Ugh.

So he hands me a form to complete, very simple, name, telephone #, etc, which I hand into the receptionist (nice quiet lady, didn't mention the name issue), who handed me #319.

I step over to the waiting area and *JOY* they are just calling 318. So I wait about a minute...not even time to open my magazine...and up I get called.

The lady (another very quiet lady) walks me to her little booth, where I check the information she has inputted on the screen...which includes my hyphenated name - take THAT Mr Guard - and other bits and bobs, before she took all of my fingerprints and took a quick photo of me.

With that, she handed me a booklet 'Learn about the United States - quick civic lessons for the naturalization test', and I was on my way, back in the car before 10am!

So apart from the guard at the start, a very easy process!
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

iray is just really niceiray is just really niceiray is just really niceiray is just really niceiray is just really niceiray is just really niceiray is just really niceiray is just really nice
Default Re: Biometrics for I751...and advise for anyone with name change!

Most of the employees at the ASCs aren't USCIS employees - they're Northrop Grumman contracted staff I believe. The security guards probably aren't even NG staff, but contracted by a security firm to provide services for NG.

In short, they shouldn't be commenting on the likelihood of success of your application!
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 10:26 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by welshgirl1
With that, she handed me a booklet 'Learn about the United States - quick civic lessons for the naturalization test', and I was on my way, back in the car before 10am!
Interesting that she gave you that booklet, when your appointment was for an I-751.

Rene
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

welshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud ofwelshgirl1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by iray
In short, they shouldn't be commenting on the likelihood of success of your application!
I didn't think so either!!
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Interesting that she gave you that booklet, when your appointment was for an I-751.

Rene
Perhaps I look like I need a year to study! Which upon reading th book, I might have to agree!