British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Biometrics for citizenship...change location? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/biometrics-citizenship-change-location-871223/)

lisa67 Jan 24th 2016 4:12 pm

Biometrics for citizenship...change location?

Howdy Y'all, it's been a while and a lot has changed since I was on here.
So.....my son has applied for citizenship. He is a student at Michigan State but our home address is Fort Worth TX.
His biometrics appointment has been set up for Fort Worth and of course we would rather not fly him home just for fingerprints etc.
Anyone successfully got this changed....and how...USCIS office is closed right now so I thought I'd ask on here first :-)
Thanks

ian-mstm Jan 24th 2016 5:00 pm

Re: Biometrics for citizenship...change location?

Originally Posted by lisa67 (Post 11846710)
His biometrics appointment has been set up for Fort Worth and of course we would rather not fly him home just for fingerprints etc.

For naturalization, you would generally attend the ASC closest to where you live. I was living in Kentucky, but my closest ASC was in West Virginia... so that's where I went. That said, he may ultimately have no choice but to return to TX for the appointment since he doesn't actually live in MI. I suggest he contact his closest ASC and ask them... they'll probably accommodate - but y'never know.

Ian

Noorah101 Jan 24th 2016 5:58 pm

He can certainly TRY to do a walk-in at his local ASC, and explain the situation. They may or may not accommodate. He'll need the original biometrics appointment letter. If they don't do it there, he would need to come back to TX for the original appointment.

Rene

sir_eccles Jan 24th 2016 10:10 pm

One might question if he is being processed in the right district. If he is considered resident in Michigan he should have said so on the forms. The location of his interview may be inconvenient too.

lisa67 Jan 25th 2016 12:15 am

Thanks guys.
He will graduate in May so we decided to put hi TX address down as his permanent address.
I'll call USCIS tomorrow and see if I can get a definitive answer :rofl:
If not I'll suggest to him that he tries a walk in.

ian-mstm Jan 25th 2016 12:48 am

Originally Posted by lisa67 (Post 11847058)
I'll call USCIS tomorrow and see if I can get a definitive answer

That'll be a waste of time. It's not their job to help you... US citizens have no need for immigration services except as it pertains to some non-US citizen - and they don't much care about them!

Ian

Noorah101 Jan 25th 2016 12:55 am

Don't bother calling USCIS. They won't be able to give you a definitive answer.

Rene