Wikiposts

Biggie?

Old Feb 7th 2002, 5:51 am
Sally

Hi, Biggie,

I just found this message in the archives and wanted to ask you what you did first.

My husband and I both live in Hamburg. We are planning to stay here for now, but I
keep telling him he should check to see if his immunizations are up to date. Though
he is now a German citizen, he hasn't always been, and he is from a country where
immunizations were not so closely recorded. Thus, he has no record of his
immunizations. I was thinking we could kill two birds with one stone if he started
out by going to one of those doctors on the approved list so that when the time came,
we would already have that part taken care of.

Does that matter? I am a resident here (soon a "permanent" resident by the book) so
if/when we move, we will probably try a DCF.

Thanks for anything you can share,

Sally

Hi everyone,

Instead of having both my medical and my visa interview at the end of January I
decided to have my medical in Hamburg, so that one other stressful thing would be out
of the way. It was a perfect decision. I did not have to wait at all, everything was
over and done in 45 minutes. If anyone has any questions or is thinking about going
to Hamburg, too, let me know, I'll tell you about my experience.

Good luck to everyone!

Biggie

Old Feb 7th 2002, 7:34 am
Andy Platt

Just have him go to a regular doctor which will probably be much cheaper. Make sure
they give him a vaccination record after he's had them done. Alternatively he could
have them done when he has the immigration medical. That will work just as well
except that he will probably pay more.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

>
    >
    >
did
    >
    >
    >
now,
    >
to
    >
    >
    >
birds
    >
    >
    >
    >
the
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Feb 7th 2002, 7:53 am
Sally

I would think that his insurance would cover for it. Or maybe I am naive. I was
thinking that virtually all doctor's visits here were covered by insurance. I know
especially those privately insured (myself included) get very nice treatment when
going to the doctor. A friend went to the gynecologist and he ran 1000 DM worth of
hormone checks on her "just for fun." It was all covered. I would think vaccincations
would be covered under this. Is it dangerous to have too many vaccinations. What I
mean is, my husband has been in the country for almost 10 years and has since not had
any vaccinations. Any vaccinations before that are most likely not on file anywhere.
Can he just get them all over again? (okay, I know, this is a question for another
newsgroup!!!)

Thanks Andy! Sally

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > Hi, Biggie,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I just found this message in the archives and wanted to ask you what you[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > first.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > My husband and I both live in Hamburg. We are planning to stay here for[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > but I keep telling him he should check to see if his immunizations are[/usenetquote2]
up
    >
[usenetquote2]> > date. Though he is now a German citizen, he hasn't always been, and he[/usenetquote2]
is
[usenetquote2]> > from a country where immunizations were not so closely recorded. Thus,[/usenetquote2]
he
[usenetquote2]> > has no record of his immunizations. I was thinking we could kill two[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > with one stone if he started out by going to one of those doctors on the approved[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > list so that when the time came, we would already have that[/usenetquote2]
part
[usenetquote2]> > taken care of.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Does that matter? I am a resident here (soon a "permanent" resident by[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > book) so if/when we move, we will probably try a DCF.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Thanks for anything you can share,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Sally[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Hi everyone,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Instead of having both my medical and my visa interview at the end of January I[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > decided to have my medical in Hamburg, so that one other stressful thing would be[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > out of the way. It was a perfect decision. I did not have to wait at all,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > everything was over and done in 45 minutes. If anyone has any questions or is[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > thinking about going to Hamburg, too, let me know, I'll tell you about my[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > experience.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Good luck to everyone![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Biggie[/usenetquote2]

Old Feb 8th 2002, 1:08 am
Sally

>
    >
    >

Really?

So do physicals also not fall under insurance? All of my vaccinations and physicals I
have ever had have been paid by insurance (in the States) and the only thing here I
have had to pay for is birth control or the fee charged for the doctor to write a
prescription. I talked to one about having a physical/general checkup myself soon. I
guess I will soon find out and report back!

Take care,

Sally

Old Feb 8th 2002, 1:19 am
Andy Platt

Your insurance policy probably allows you to have a physical with your primary care
physician once a year. It will also allow you to have recommended vaccinations. What
it would almost certainly not allow is for you to have a physical with an
INS-specified doctor following an INS-specified checklist. And it may or may not
allow vaccinations that are not recommended - perhaps a vaccination you need for a
vacation for instance.

So, if MMR was not recommended for an adult (as a for instance) in a given country,
it's unlikely that insurance and/or the countrie's health service would pay for it.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

[usenetquote2]> > That depends. Usually insurance will not pick up vaccinations that are[/usenetquote2]
not
[usenetquote2]> > recommended by the doctor. AFAIK, nobody has ever got their insurance company to[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > pay for a medical for immigration purposes.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
out
    >
    >