Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

A big thank you and one more (hopefully my last ever) question.

A big thank you and one more (hopefully my last ever) question.

Old Dec 18th 2009, 2:39 am

special ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to all
Default A big thank you and one more (hopefully my last ever) question.

Had my N400 interview this week - everything went swimmingly and my oath ceremony is Monday. Yipeee! Have not been a prolific poster here but have always found this to be the most reliable source of information so my thanks to anyone who's ever responded to my questions. One last one; I gather that taking US citizenship does not affect my UK citizenship in any way. Is there anything I need to do to formally declare dual citizenship - anything I have to fill out or is it just automatically conferred when I become as US citizen. Thanks in advance and good luck to everyone still in the process.

PS I think there's supposed to be a thread I can post my application timeline on? Couldn't find it, could someone post a link for me? Thank you

Last edited by special ed; Dec 18th 2009 at 2:42 am.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 3:12 am
Pedantic Moron

Michelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A big thank you and one more (hopefully my last ever) question.

You will have dual citizenship as soon as you take the oath, you do not have to do anything. Technically you will renounce all others during you oath [just keep your fingers crossed for that section]

Dual citizenship is not actually recognized, but from the UK's point of view, unless you formally renounce it in writing, they don't care what oath you took to another country. Once a UK citizen, always a UK citizen.

Get a US passport afterwards and use your UK one when you enter and leave UK soil and your US when you enter and leave US soil. So when you go back to the UK, leave showing your US passport and show your UK passport when you arrive at the other end.

Last edited by Michelmas; Dec 18th 2009 at 3:13 am. Reason: typo
Old Dec 18th 2009, 3:14 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by special ed
Had my N400 interview this week - everything went swimmingly and my oath ceremony is Monday. Yipeee! Have not been a prolific poster here but have always found this to be the most reliable source of information so my thanks to anyone who's ever responded to my questions. One last one; I gather that taking US citizenship does not affect my UK citizenship in any way. Is there anything I need to do to formally declare dual citizenship - anything I have to fill out or is it just automatically conferred when I become as US citizen. Thanks in advance and good luck to everyone still in the process.

PS I think there's supposed to be a thread I can post my application timeline on? Couldn't find it, could someone post a link for me? Thank you
Absolutely nothing you need to do. During the oath ceremony you will renounce all other citizenships, but as far as the UK is concerned, that renunciation is not valid: it needs to be formally done in front of a government official to be valid. So, you get dual citz just by virtue of becoming a USC.

Congrats: it WILL feel unbelievably good...
Old Dec 18th 2009, 3:36 am

special ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to allspecial ed is a name known to all

Congrats: it WILL feel unbelievably good...
Thanks!
Old Dec 18th 2009, 4:32 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nettlebed
During the oath ceremony you will renounce all other citizenships...
Just to correct what you and Michelmas have written... when you take the US Oath of Allegiance, you do *not* renounce all other citizenships. You renounce your allegiance... but that's all. You are never asked to renounce your other citizenships.

Ian
Old Dec 18th 2009, 5:28 pm
Pedantic Moron

Michelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond reputeMichelmas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Just to correct what you and Michelmas have written... when you take the US Oath of Allegiance, you do *not* renounce all other citizenships. You renounce your allegiance... but that's all. You are never asked to renounce your other citizenships.

Ian
Just to clarify, I never said you renounce your citizenship. I have never taken the oath of Allegiance personally and couldn't be bothered to google it for the specific wording, but knew you had to renounce something.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 5:40 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michelmas
Just to clarify, I never said you renounce your citizenship.
That's exactly what you said!
Old Dec 18th 2009, 10:32 pm
Pedantic Moron

Originally Posted by fatbrit
That's exactly what you said!
I said and I quote, you renounce all others. While it is an oath of allegiance, it is therefore the allegiance to others that you renounce. That is what Ian correctly clarified

Do you really get so much enjoyment from trying to prove me wrong and failing dismally? It's sad really
Old Dec 18th 2009, 11:27 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michelmas
I said and I quote, you renounce all others. While it is an oath of allegiance, it is therefore the allegiance to others that you renounce. That is what Ian correctly clarified
Renounce all others is an ellipsis whereby all others refers to citizenships. As Ian correctly pointed out, you renounce allegiance rather than citizenships.
Old Dec 19th 2009, 10:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ginblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond repute

So, conversely if a USC takes the UK citizenship test, do they renounce their US citizenship? Im curious.....
Old Dec 19th 2009, 11:02 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ginblossom
So, conversely if a USC takes the UK citizenship test, do they renounce their US citizenship? Im curious.....
No.

Ian
Old Dec 20th 2009, 10:48 am
BritChickUS

kwilson will become famous soon enoughkwilson will become famous soon enough

For anyone reading who is interested, the complete Oath of Allegiance sworn at a Naturalization Ceremony is;

"I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God"

Old Dec 20th 2009, 12:32 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by kwilson
... absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen...
I'll also add here, that each country decides for itself who is or who is not a citizen of that country. HM Liz says, "you're a citizen of the UK until I say you aren't." Besides... any Oath taken in the US is not binding on any other country.

Ian