Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

BIG NEWS - UK Citizens eligible for DV 2025 Lottery.

BIG NEWS - UK Citizens eligible for DV 2025 Lottery.

Old Sep 30th 2023, 1:12 am
LT1
Forum Regular

LT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default BIG NEWS - UK Citizens eligible for DV 2025 Lottery.

For the first time in many (many) years, UK citizens will be eligible to apply for the DV Lottery this year! Countries who's birth citizens that have received 50,000+ Green Cards in the last five years are excluded, but in the last five years, UK was just under the limit with 49,272. This is unusual and unlikely to happen again.

Of course, the chances of winning the lottery are slim, but it's free to register and nothing to lose if moving to the US is a desire. Details are on the State department website here, and full DV2025 instructions and FAQs PDF is here.

Registration period is October 4th 1200 (EST) to November 7th 1200 (EST) at https://dvprogram.state.gov/.
Old Sep 30th 2023, 1:26 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BIG NEWS - UK Citizens eligible for DV 2025 Lottery.

Originally Posted by LT1
For the first time in many (many) years, UK citizens will be eligible to apply for the DV Lottery this year! Countries who's birth citizens that have received 50,000+ Green Cards in the last five years are excluded, but in the last five years, UK was just under the limit with 49,272. This is unusual and unlikely to happen again.

Of course, the chances of winning the lottery are slim, but it's free to register and nothing to lose if moving to the US is a desire. Details are on the State department website here, and full DV2025 instructions and FAQs PDF is here.

Registration period is October 4th 1200 (EST) to November 7th 1200 (EST) at https://dvprogram.state.gov/.
This is good/big news if true. But the link provided is not helpful!
Old Sep 30th 2023, 1:28 am
LT1
Forum Regular

LT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond reputeLT1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
This is good/big news if true. But the link provided is not helpful!
See the bottom of page 1 of the PDF.
Old Sep 30th 2023, 1:45 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LT1
I looked, but I dont care much. Why dont you explain why/who can benefit from this unusual circumstance.
Old Sep 30th 2023, 1:47 am
BE Enthusiast

postbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LT1
With the exception of the United Kingdom and its dependent territories, which are now eligible for DV-2025, there were no changes in eligibility from the previous fiscal year.
I assume this means that whomever wins from the UK will likely push us back over the 50k limit for next year?
I am nearly at my EB-3 journey's end (i485 filing next week) - any benefit of signing up?
Old Sep 30th 2023, 1:50 am
LT1
Forum Regular

Why dont you explain why/who can benefit from this unusual circumstance.
Anybody born in the UK who has high school education (or has two years of work experience within the past five years in an occupation that requires at least two years of training or experience) will be able to apply for a Green Card in the lottery. No need to marry a US citizen, no need for employer sponsorship, just a lottery ticket chance of winning a Green Card.

Basically, anybody born in the UK who's ever had a dream of moving to the US now has a simple chance to make it happen, albeit with low odds of winning the lottery.
Old Sep 30th 2023, 1:53 am
LT1
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by postbox134
I assume this means that whomever wins from the UK will likely push us back over the 50k limit for next year?
Not for next year, as this is the 2025 lottery which will have GCs issued from Oct 1 2025 to Sep 30 2024. I'd assume the dip was due to COVID years and UK will come off the list again within two to three years max.

I am nearly at my EB-3 journey's end (i485 filing next week) - any benefit of signing up?
Nothing to lose in signing up as a backup, but sounds like you should have your GC well before Oct 2025.
Old Sep 30th 2023, 2:08 am
BE Irregular

Originally Posted by LT1
Anybody born in the UK who has high school education (or has two years of work experience within the past five years in an occupation that requires at least two years of training or experience) will be able to apply for a Green Card in the lottery. No need to marry a US citizen, no need for employer sponsorship, just a lottery ticket chance of winning a Green Card.

Basically, anybody born in the UK who's ever had a dream of moving to the US now has a simple chance to make it happen, albeit with low odds of winning the lottery.
That seems like a fair assessment. So how many lottery places are there vs traditional marriage/job visas?
Old Sep 30th 2023, 2:13 am
BE Enthusiast

postbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond repute

That seems like a fair assessment. So how many lottery places are there vs traditional marriage/job visas?
Somewhere around 0.5% chance for one year in Europe. It's 55,000/6 = 9,167 for Europe as whole. Additionally, each country can't take more than 3850 each. So I'd imagine the UK would be similar to somewhere like France in terms of likelihood.

Considering H-1B is 10% or so these days - even with sponsorship it's worth trying.
Old Sep 30th 2023, 3:21 am
BE Irregular

Somewhere around 0.5% chance for one year in Europe. It's 55,000/6 = 9,167 for Europe as whole. Additionally, each country can't take more than 3850 each. So I'd imagine the UK would be similar to somewhere like France in terms of likelihood.

Considering H-1B is 10% or so these days - even with sponsorship it's worth trying.
I may be mis informed, but I understand there is a fixed number of lottery visas, as well as an (average number ) of family/job visas. So my question is, how many lottery places are there? , not the odds of success?

Old Sep 30th 2023, 3:47 am
LT1
Forum Regular

I may be mis informed, but I understand there is a fixed number of lottery visas, as well as an (average number ) of family/job visas. So my question is, how many lottery places are there? , not the odds of success?
55,000 DV Green Cards per fiscal year.
Old Sep 30th 2023, 3:58 am
BE Irregular

Originally Posted by LT1
55,000 DV Green Cards per fiscal year.
Of which, how many are UK specific? Is my point getting through?
Old Sep 30th 2023, 10:09 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Slots are allocated by region, not country.
Old Sep 30th 2023, 1:01 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Slots are allocated by region, not country.
From my recollection when applying it’s complicated than that, with per country maximums (without regard to population size, leading to a lot of variance in odds of being choosen), at one point I calculated Germany was a 1:200, NZ was closer to 1:20 and there were some pacific islands that looked like they were basically anyone who entered. Vs countries in Africa where it was like buying a lottery ticket… now I could be off by an order of magnitude, but there is (was when I was looking 15-20 years ago) more to it than a simple region cap.
Old Sep 30th 2023, 2:17 pm
LT1
Forum Regular

No, your point is not getting through at all. postbox134 has already provided the exact region calculations above.

I'm surprised by your reaction to this post. The odds of winning are low, but it's a chance, and that's more of a chance than many people will ever have had or might get.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.