Best way to renew my US Visa

Old Jan 20th 2021, 6:49 pm
Just Joined

MattH987 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best way to renew my US Visa

Hey all,

So I applied for a visa a few years back and got 1 which meant I have been able to have a few holidays to the US but it runs out in 2022. Now, my passport runs out in 2025 so I am thinking I will renew that first but I thought I read on here somehwere that it was best to reapply for my US visa whilst the current one was still valid? I could be wrong on this.

So if I was to renew my UK Passport now would they transfer over the US visa inside it? Then once that was done I could apply for a new visa before it ran out.

Thanks for any help in advance.
Old Jan 20th 2021, 7:27 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best way to renew my US Visa

Originally Posted by MattH987
Hey all,

So I applied for a visa a few years back and got 1 which meant I have been able to have a few holidays to the US but it runs out in 2022. Now, my passport runs out in 2025 so I am thinking I will renew that first but I thought I read on here somehwere that it was best to reapply for my US visa whilst the current one was still valid? I could be wrong on this.

So if I was to renew my UK Passport now would they transfer over the US visa inside it? Then once that was done I could apply for a new visa before it ran out.

When you have a visa in an old passport, you carry both old and new when you travel. The visa does not expire with the passport.
Old Jan 21st 2021, 1:55 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

B Visa?

Seems they are only accepting exceptional reasons to get one currently.
Old Jan 21st 2021, 3:01 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MattH987
Hey all,

There is no procedure to transfer a visa to a new passport. That said, an unexpired visa in an expired passport remains valid. The law does NOT require that the new passport contain the visa. Practice is to present both passports. Any admission stamp in the new passport will be endorsed “VIOPP” (visa in other passport).

Note that both passports must be from the same country. This comes up when a person naturalized.