Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

best way to go from L1a visa to green card

best way to go from L1a visa to green card

Old Feb 8th 2021, 6:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: best way to go from L1a visa to green card

Originally Posted by robtuck
I moved from L1A to EB1-C last year. It is indeed an "investment" by the company and comes with the risk that you can take other employment but you have suggested your employer was OK with the process, just not the financials. I'd suggest talking to them about signing a contract to reimburse their fees at a reducing rate over time as an incentive for you to remain with them, which is what I have done. Essentially I have committed to repaying up to 100% of their fees, down to zero after two years from the date of issuance of the Green Card. That should remove any fears, and they'll be spending some more money to extend the L1A to 7 years I think.
I doubt the employer’s reluctance is cost-related ($700 to file I-140 in EB-1C). Nonetheless, an EB-1C candidate surely adds more value to the firm than any green card-related cost. Finally, employers should know better than this. They ought to retain talent based on value delivered (and reward them accordingly), and not by forcibly keeping (otherwise qualified) employees in a non-immigrant status.
Old Feb 8th 2021, 7:13 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by destone
I doubt the employer’s reluctance is cost-related ($700 to file I-140 in EB-1C). Nonetheless, an EB-1C candidate surely adds more value to the firm than any green card-related cost. Finally, employers should know better than this. They ought to retain talent based on value delivered (and reward them accordingly), and not by forcibly keeping (otherwise qualified) employees in a non-immigrant status.
Whike that might be the filing fee if a firm does DIY, in reality they use a lawyer and there are other forms to file, so your really looking at $5k+ in my experience going through it myself and engaging lawyers for other employees.

Also the repayment of fees only really works for employees to whom it is more material... in reality you would move and have the new employer pay you a signing bonus to cover the net cost to you.

I do agree with you that employers should retain talent by paying market rate. I doubt this is a really an issue with L1a’s, but more likely with H1b’s where they are basically mostly used to bring in cheap labor from India, so they are likely to bail ASAP.

Old Feb 9th 2021, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

My personal case set the company back just over $10k for my wife, me and two kids. Small fry to some, but I can see a legal firm working for the company raising to said company that the $10k investment isn't necessary when the L1A will suffice, especially if there wasn't a really hard commitment to the individual and role being in the USA long term. Some quick discussion with the employer, showing commitment, and assuming it comes on top of being able to show value to the business, should easily overcome any fears.
Old Feb 10th 2021, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robtuck
My personal case set the company back just over $10k for my wife, me and two kids. Small fry to some, but I can see a legal firm working for the company raising to said company that the $10k investment isn't necessary when the L1A will suffice, especially if there wasn't a really hard commitment to the individual and role being in the USA long term. Some quick discussion with the employer, showing commitment, and assuming it comes on top of being able to show value to the business, should easily overcome any fears.
Most attorneys charge $5k for filing the I-140 (plus $700 filing fee), and employers can recoup this from the beneficiary if necessary.

So again, this whole saga doesn’t come down to cost but rather a cunning way for the employer to keep control for over the employee.

Needless to say that this is a short-sighted vision on the part of the employer.

My personal advice to all future L-1A applicants: do have it in writing that your employer will sponsor you for GC prior to any move abroad.