Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Best way to buy a business to get a visa into Florida

Best way to buy a business to get a visa into Florida

Old Feb 18th 2018, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

Cjcrash32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best way to buy a business to get a visa into Florida

Hi, my partner and I would like to relocate out family (3children) and ourselves to Florida, perhaps Fort Myers. We won’t be able to get in any other way apart from investing in an established business. We are thinking of either a salon which with our research is a cheaper company to buy and visa ready which is obviously paramount!! Or a Auto repair garage. All I would like to know is if anyone has used the same process and has any reliable contacts or steps of the process etc. I’m thinking of seeing a immigration lawyer for legal advice, but for now recommendations will be handy to get us off on the right foot.
Thanks for taking the time to read and hopefully reply. :-)
Old Feb 18th 2018, 7:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best way to buy a business to get a visa into Florida

Have a look through the immigration forums, look out for posts talking about E2 visa's.

They're not a very good visa though, especially for people with kids, especially if you have plans to stay in the US long term, but it would get you there.
Old Feb 18th 2018, 9:05 pm
Yorkshire man in Florida

barnsleylad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cjcrash32
Hi, my partner and I would like to relocate out family (3children) and ourselves to Florida, perhaps Fort Myers. We won’t be able to get in any other way apart from investing in an established business. We are thinking of either a salon which with our research is a cheaper company to buy and visa ready which is obviously paramount!! Or a Auto repair garage. All I would like to know is if anyone has used the same process and has any reliable contacts or steps of the process etc. I’m thinking of seeing a immigration lawyer for legal advice, but for now recommendations will be handy to get us off on the right foot.
Thanks for taking the time to read and hopefully reply. :-)
I did it 6 years ago and are living in ft myers areas. If you need some help .
Old Feb 18th 2018, 11:21 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

You say partner. Are you married?
Old Feb 19th 2018, 10:40 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by barnsleylad
I did it 6 years ago and are living in ft myers areas. If you need some help .
Omg yes please :-) any info down to your full story would be amazing lol thank you 😊
Old Feb 19th 2018, 10:41 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dorothy
You say partner. Are you married?
No not married yet. Would it matter a great deal?
Old Feb 19th 2018, 10:43 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

No not married yet. Would it matter a great deal?
Yes. If you want your partner to come with you then she's going to have to either be your wife or go on a B2 visa which means she's going to have to leave every 6 months and won't be able to work. At all.

I hear wedding bells
Old Feb 19th 2018, 11:05 am
Just Joined

Yes. If you want your partner to come with you then she's going to have to either be your wife or go on a B2 visa which means she's going to have to leave every 6 months and won't be able to work. At all.

I hear wedding bells
Hehe I’m the potential wife! He is the one that needs to ask! Haha 3kids later and still no rock!
I know he really wants to go so if this was preventing us then I know he would ask, not great feeling as he’s then being forced to! Lol
Would he not get the visa too if we bought the business together. Like a partnership?
Old Feb 19th 2018, 11:19 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Would he not get the visa too if we bought the business together. Like a partnership?
No, it doesn’t work like that. You would need to be married to be able to move together.
Old Feb 19th 2018, 11:23 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
No, it doesn’t work like that. You would need to be married to be able to move together.
Well looks like if we do find a business etc then we will be getting married! Lol :-)

Thank you all so much it’s reasons like this that I came on here, it’s things I didn’t even think about. :-)
Old Feb 19th 2018, 12:04 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

The "right sort of business" is one you have experience of, so saying that a sandwich shop or a karate school is the best sort of business to buy is pointless if you know nothing about such businesses, and more importantly the licenses and permits you might require to operate such businesses and work in them.

The US states are very strict on many regulations with zoning requirements for certain types of business, annual business permit registration for businesses, inspections for food prep and salon businesses, and qualification and licensing for individuals in a bewildering array of occupations including anyone providing services in a salon who will require some sort of cosmetologist license. You will also need to learn about US employment law, or pay someone to advise you on a full array of employment law and payroll issues.

Also bear in mind that in many sectors, notably including car repair and service businesses and hair salons, if you buy an independent business you will be competing head-to-head with national chains and franchises offering the same services, offering weekly deals and specials, and with national advertising budgets.

Personally I would consider entering the US on an E-2 visa to be a reckless gamble unless you have actual experience of running a similar business in the UK, and even with such experience, transferring that knowledge might be seriously hard work.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 19th 2018 at 12:06 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2018, 12:53 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

To coin the BE chestnut - Why Florida?

Did you visit the House of Mouse and 'love it there'? To follow on from Pulaski above, even if you were experienced in the industry you propose to buy (which it doesn't sound like) it would behove you to research the market and see what is out there.

I don't think anyone above mentioned that the E2 visa has to be renewed ever 2 years, and if they deny your renewal (because you aren't employing enough US Citizens, or because they don't feel that the business is anything other than subsistence) then you have to pack up and leave!.

An E2 with 3 children, who will all age-out at 21 if you have not got Green Cards, is somewhat risky.
Old Feb 19th 2018, 1:01 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

I hear wedding bells
General comment - an unmarried couple can be business partners. This was quite common for unmarried gay couples in the past.
Old Feb 19th 2018, 1:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Stable E2 is every 5 years.

I think a solid Franchise would be the best bet, something with a solid record and clear management and operational structures.