Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

best way to back to back visa waiver entry

best way to back to back visa waiver entry

Old Sep 22nd 2010, 3:39 pm
Professional Drama Queen

Songbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: best way to back to back visa waiver entry

<snip> what Noorah said
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

Lissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really niceLissbovavd is just really nice

I might be wrong of course, but the way I see things here, judging by the OP´s information, is that it´s highly unlikely that he will be able to realize his plans as indicated.
Coming back so soon to the US after a stay of 90 days is most certainly not a good idea and would almost certainly be frowned upon by the CBP agent at the US POE.
People have been turned around at the POE for much less....
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

scoobysteve is an unknown quantity at this point
Default B2 chances for entended road trip

Coming from another thread it seems that I might have to go for a B2 to cater for my needs, I live in Portugal and I am a UK citizen along with my wife. What are the chances of obtaining a B2 visa to travel to the US for a massive road trip of the entire country. We have our own business here in portugal and financial commitments and property here as well, we can show all this if required, we can also show funds available for the trip. We can also mention that we have in fact just retruned froma 1 month raod trip across Canada and we wish to now see all of America where possible. Do you think this is a valid enough reason to apply for a B2.

Kind Regards
Steve
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 4:38 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Approaching your scenario from the ConOff's or POE Agent's point of view:
Originally Posted by scoobysteve
Firstly I own a Real Estate company in Portugal and this has been in opperation for 7 years, more recently we have been approached by numerous investers that have stated that they wish to buy in both Portugal (where I live & opperate my business) and the US. We decided to open a sister company in Florida to cater for these clients and potential revenue under the L1 scheme.
OK, coming on the VWP to check out investment property is fine. You can do that within 90 days.

But we dont want to start this porcess just yet as we need to be in the US for various reasons that will keep us there for over 3 months, firstly a wedding in Nevada, then we are spending Xmas & New year in Phoenix until Feb when the VWP runs out, but in April I turn 50 and I have a 2 week harley road trip organised for my birthday with 9 other riders all booked and paid for. We retrun from this early May.
OK, these are all "wants", not "needs". Might be a better idea to attend the wedding in Nevada for a few days, maybe a week....then leave the USA until you want to return in April and do your 2-week road trip. Skip the Xmas & New Year in Phoenix. That way, you're putting more space between your VWP visits.

Plus, the New Year holiday ends on Jan 2 (not Feb as you mention). But your bike trip doesn't start until April. What is keeping you in the USA from January to April?

Thats the real reason but we would say that we have a extensive road trip organised that would need more than the 90 days, we have in fact just got back from a month in Canada driving across it and we would say that we now want to see as much of the US as we can but 90 days would not give us enough time to see it all...
OK, so you intend to lie (or at best tell half-truths) at the POE. Definitely not a good idea.

.. we could show itins and funds available this is not a problem we even have a website for this trip.
This is good, it works in your favor to have the necessary funds availble and a plan for the trip in April. However, it won't do much good to show a plan for April if you're trying to enter in November.

I have financial commitments in Portugal and the company as well we have staff that run the company when we are not there which is why I can take this time off.
Having financial commitments might work for you or not. If they are the type of financial commitments that can be paid from abroad, or someone else can pay for you, it doesn't help. Also having a company where you personally do not need to be there does not help your case. The ConOff and POE officer will want to see that YOU need to physically be back home by a certain date.

I think you need to re-organize and find a way to break up your activies into two separate 90-day VWP visits, with at least 3 months in between visits.

Rene
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 4:41 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: B2 chances for entended road trip

Coming from another thread it seems that I might have to go for a B2 to cater for my needs, I live in Portugal and I am a UK citizen along with my wife. What are the chances of obtaining a B2 visa to travel to the US for a massive road trip of the entire country. We have our own business here in portugal and financial commitments and property here as well, we can show all this if required, we can also show funds available for the trip. We can also mention that we have in fact just retruned froma 1 month raod trip across Canada and we wish to now see all of America where possible. Do you think this is a valid enough reason to apply for a B2.

Kind Regards
Steve
In your other thread, you said the road trip was only 2 weeks long?

...in April I turn 50 and I have a 2 week harley road trip organised for my birthday with 9 other riders all booked and paid for. We retrun from this early May.

Rene
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you think this is a valid enough reason to apply for a B2.
No.
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 4:44 pm

Do you think this is a valid enough reason to apply for a B2.
It might be a valid enough reason to apply; whether it's a valid enough reason to be approved, only the ConOff can tell you.

Usually folks who are eligible to use the VWP have a very difficult time obtaining a B2.

Rene
Old Sep 22nd 2010, 5:06 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Coming from another thread it seems that I might have to go for a B2 to cater for my needs,
I have merged your threads; the discussion is the same.
In fact, it looks like the same discussion you have had here several times already. You might want to go back and read your previous threads (you can find them in your profile here) because you're going over the same territory, and there have been no changes in immigration law since you started your discussion.

I think, based on previous threads from at least 2 other couples with very, very similar circumstances, that the odds of getting a B visa are very low.

You are also describing different types of activities, some that might be B-1, some that might be B-2. Since you are looking at a longer term move to the US, you should really consult with an immigration attorney now, before you make some DIY errors that cost you the bigger prize.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 8:40 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

This might help:

OK we are fortunate to own a few properties in Florida and think we would like to live there. We dont quite know yet how, but we were thinking EB5, BUT before investing in 500,000 Dollars we would like to know if in fact we would be able to live there. having many holidays there is not enough to know if its what you really want, we live in Portugal and it took about 9 months before we knew it felt like a place we could live in. So we thought that we would be honest when applying for our B1/B2 that would say that we wanted to invest into a EB5 project BUT wanted to experience living in the US for what would seem like a long enough time to know if life experiences were tolerable, we would have 150,000 Dollars in our bank account to show as collateral for the duration and would probably wish to extend the B!/B2 to the maximum of 1 year, enough time for us to decide if we wanted to invest all our money and therefore commit ourselves to living in the US. This to me does not sound unreasonable. Why would anyone uplift themselves throw all their money into a country and then find out 15 months down the road that they cant stand aspects of the way of life there, something they could not experience in 3 month on a VWP.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 2:44 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

does a 'new business' L1 visa have the same residence requirement as a company transfer L1 - ie the applicant must have been out of the USA for 365 days beforehand? (in total and not necc. consecutive)?