Best visa for me?

Old May 8th 2019, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

SammyWoodthorpe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Best visa for me?

Hi all, recently come across this forum and found a lot of resourceful information. I’m 23 year old male currently living with my parents and training (in work training) to become a lift engineer with my level 3 NVQ course.

Have visted the USA a fair few times when I was younger with my family and a few times since I was 18.

Have wanted to live / work since I come for the first time, just love the way they live life over here.

I work for a small company which is only based in the UK do a transferable VISA would not be a choice for me with this company.

My girlfriend who I have been with for a while now was originally born in Dublin but holds a UK passport. From what I have read online Dublin is not a part of the UK and she could enter the green card lottery? (Not sure if I have this mixed up?) would she need to apply for a Irish passport before doing so? She has been in the UK since the age of 4 and not been back since, could anyone shed some light?

Would it be better for me to pass my course (nvq3, not a degree) and change company’s to a bigger international company such a KONE and try get transferred with them? I’m aware you need to work for them for a minimum of 1 year.

Would it be better for me to try get a h1b visa (or another) while I still don’t have my qualifications? Not sure if would work better in my favour coming over as a trainee with experience in the field rather than fully qualified

also how would this any of these visas work with my spouse would we have to be married or could she come on a separate visa with me?

Tia
Old May 8th 2019, 6:46 pm
Just Joined

TR1721 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Best visa for me?

The diversity visa (green card lottery) is based on an applicant's place of birth, and not her residence or current nationality. She would not need to first obtain an Irish passport.

You would not be likely to succeed in securing an H1B prior to finishing your course. Even after, as you point out, the course does not grant a degree and you would need to establish degree equivalency. As this is a more complicated application, you should consider retaining an attorney should you attempt that option.

If you change employers to a multinational corporation and work for a year, and convince them to relocate you to the US and sponsor you for an L1 visa, there is no degree requirement.

Each of the above visas has an accompanying spousal/dependent visa (H4 and L2) which you could apply for. Not all H4 holders are eligible for work authorization, however.
Old May 8th 2019, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by TR1721
The diversity visa (green card lottery) is based on an applicant's place of birth, and not her residence or current nationality. She would not need to first obtain an Irish passport.

You would not be likely to succeed in securing an H1B prior to finishing your course. Even after, as you point out, the course does not grant a degree and you would need to establish degree equivalency. As this is a more complicated application, you should consider retaining an attorney should you attempt that option.

If you change employers to a multinational corporation and work for a year, and convince them to relocate you to the US and sponsor you for an L1 visa, there is no degree requirement.

Each of the above visas has an accompanying spousal/dependent visa (H4 and L2) which you could apply for. Not all H4 holders are eligible for work authorization, however.

Thanks for the reply! I may have to look into another firm then, on the other hand am I right in saying if my spouse was born in Dublin she will be valid for the lottery?
Old May 8th 2019, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

TR1721 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, individuals born in Ireland are eligible.
Old May 8th 2019, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SammyWoodthorpe

Thanks for the reply! I may have to look into another firm then, on the other hand am I right in saying if my spouse was born in Dublin she will be valid for the lottery?
Correct, but she would need to be your spouse, not your girlfriend, for you to benefit from this if she entered and won.
Old May 8th 2019, 8:01 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

If married, you could each apply separately for the DV lottery. As her spouse, you can apply via cross-chargeability. If one of you wins, you both get to go.

Rene
Old May 8th 2019, 9:29 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

If one of you wins, you both get to go.
And this is likely to be your only viable route to the US, your current work/training situation is not going to lead to a visa.
Old May 9th 2019, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all the replies, been reading up on the DV lottery and think it’s the best option. Getting abit confused as on Wikipedia it says UK is not eligible (excluding n. Ireland). So could someone tell me would my spouse have to have been born in Dublin or Belfast to be elgiable? Also will school grades come into play when applying?

Tia
Old May 9th 2019, 2:52 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Either would give her eligibility, since NI is not excluded.

You have to have a high school level of education to apply I believe.
Old May 9th 2019, 3:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SammyWoodthorpe
Getting abit confused as on Wikipedia it says UK is not eligible (excluding n. Ireland). So could someone tell me would my spouse have to have been born in Dublin or Belfast to be elgiable?
One consequence of the Good Friday Agreement is that anyone born in Northern Ireland is able to assert their right to British Nationality, Irish Nationality or both as they see fit.

So whilst Northern Ireland is part of the UK and the UK is excluded from the DV lottery, anyone born in Northern Ireland is still eligible for the DV lottery as a consequence of their de-facto Irish Nationality (whether or not they choose for formally assert it).
Old May 9th 2019, 3:04 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the quick reply! Will have to apply at the ends of this year and keep my fingers crossed
Old May 9th 2019, 3:08 pm
Often not so civil...

Just for the record, the changes of success in the DV lottery are 0.003%

In 2018, there were 14.6 million primary entries (not including derivatives such as yourself from your wife) for 50,000 visas.

In total, including derivatives, the total was 23.08 million. Leading to a success rate of 0.0022%

Just showing you that you shouldn't get your hopes up. Not to mention that the DV lottery is a primary target for ending by this administration.

Last edited by civilservant; May 9th 2019 at 3:12 pm. Reason: Added depressing figures
Old May 9th 2019, 5:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

If we relied on odds, gambling wouldn't exist! - "so you are saying there's a chance?"

If you have the patience, NVQ3 is multiple A Level I think, so you could go on to degree level education and have a path in the future through employment - but we'd be talking years (even allowing for potential work/Uni courses that allow for credits based on work experience).
Old May 9th 2019, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TexanScot
One consequence of the Good Friday Agreement is that anyone born in Northern Ireland is able to assert their right to British Nationality, Irish Nationality or both as they see fit.

So whilst Northern Ireland is part of the UK and the UK is excluded from the DV lottery, anyone born in Northern Ireland is still eligible for the DV lottery as a consequence of their de-facto Irish Nationality (whether or not they choose for formally assert it).
No, it's nothing to do with the GFA or Irish nationality per se, as the rules pertaining to what is, and isn't Ireland or Great Britain for the DV were in place before the GFA, and the DV is purely by place of birth, not citizenship. The peculiarity is that because of the Irish-American lobby, "Ireland" is defined as the whole island of Ireland, and "Great Britain" (rather than the UK) is treated as a country for DV purposes. "Ireland" currently qualifies for DVs, but "Great Britain" does not. The eligibility is based on how many people born in the countries in question have immigrated to the US in the previous five years: more than 50,000 over the previous five years makes a country ineligible. "Great Britain" has never gone below the threshold.
Old May 10th 2019, 3:49 am
Forum Regular

vespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond reputevespucci has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Just for the record, the changes of success in the DV lottery are 0.003%

In 2018, there were 14.6 million primary entries (not including derivatives such as yourself from your wife) for 50,000 visas.

In total, including derivatives, the total was 23.08 million. Leading to a success rate of 0.0022%

Just showing you that you shouldn't get your hopes up. Not to mention that the DV lottery is a primary target for ending by this administration.

The odds are not as bad as this- check the Maths, also Europeans' chances are likely better because of fewer applicants/quota.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.