Best strategy for an artist

Old Sep 9th 2002, 5:30 am
Tempgal

Default Best strategy for an artist

I know there's no easy answer for this but would might be a workable strategy to
assist an artist who wishes to be able to legally work in the U.S. on an
intermittent basis?

He has a studio in Italy. His works are known in Europe and the Far East and copies
of magazine and newspaper articles and awards are available to support that. On
occasion, Americans who see his work abroad want to commission him to paint something
directly onto some wall or ceiling in their house or create something that is
permanently affixed to their property. Unless some different arrangement is
structured, he would ordinarily be paid his commission directly as a self-employed
person. When he is finished, he goes back to his family and work in Italy.

Not sure how he is doing this now but my guess is that he is here on either a B2 or a
visa waiver and is in the situation of being a houseguest who gets paid.

Any suggestions for making such an arrangement legal ? (I didn't make this up,
honest! ... It's a real situation.)

Thanks.

Old Sep 9th 2002, 11:33 am
Steggy

Default Re: Best strategy for an artist

tempgal wrote:
    > I know there's no easy answer for this but would might be a workable strategy to
    > assist an artist who wishes to be able to legally work in the U.S. on an
    > intermittent basis?
    > He has a studio in Italy. His works are known in Europe and the Far East and
    > copies of magazine and newspaper articles and awards are available to support
    > that. On occasion, Americans who see his work abroad want to commission him to
    > paint something directly onto some wall or ceiling in their house or create
    > something that is permanently affixed to their property. Unless some different
    > arrangement is structured, he would ordinarily be paid his commission directly as
    > a self-employed person. When he is finished, he goes back to his family and work
    > in Italy.
    > Not sure how he is doing this now but my guess is that he is here on either a B2 or
    > a visa waiver and is in the situation of being a houseguest who gets paid.
    > Any suggestions for making such an arrangement legal ? (I didn't make this up,
    > honest! ... It's a real situation.)
    > Thanks.

Maybe:

http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/lpBin/lpex-
t.dll/inserts/slb/slb-1/slb-21/slb-456?f=templates&fn=document-frame.htm#slb-act101-
a15qi

Look under (O).
--
steg