Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Being made Redundant in US on H1-B

Wikiposts

Being made Redundant in US on H1-B

Old Jul 5th 2012, 9:47 am
Just Joined

display is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Being made Redundant in US on H1-B

Hi Guys

I recently got made redundant in NYC.
I'm on a H1-B Visa that was registered to that company and i'm told it can be transferred easily but the question is how long do i have ?

I know the company have notified their lawyers and they told be that after that happens, i have 2 weeks to find a new job otherwise i have to leave within 30 days, is this true ?

Anyone who knows anything would be greatly appreciated
Old Jul 5th 2012, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Being made Redundant in US on H1-B

Originally Posted by display
Hi Guys

I'm on a H1-B Visa that was registered to that company and i'm told it can be transferred easily but the question is how long do i have ?

I know the company have notified their lawyers and they told be that after that happens, i have 2 weeks to find a new job otherwise i have to leave within 30 days, is this true ?

Anyone who knows anything would be greatly appreciated
Not good news - sorry to hear that. When we faced this situation in Dec 2009, my husband did a change of status to a B1 to allow him time to find another employer. We submitted the application for the B1 about the third week of Jan and it was approved about 4 months later but once submitted he was legally allowed to be in the US. He ended up filing an O1 petition so I dont know about the transfer but I understand the transfer is quite straightforward. Another poster recently went through this.
Those times look about right that the lawyer advised.

Last edited by Orangepants; Jul 5th 2012 at 10:00 am.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 9:58 am
Just Joined

display is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks
Thing is i hava potential employer but hes askign me what he needs to do and how long i have left and i really have no idea

getting hold of anyone regarding my Visa in this country is a total nightmare too.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 9:59 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty much, yup. Once you no longer work for your H-1B sponsor, your visa becomes immediately invalid and you must leave the US. There is usually a 10-30 day grace period to wrap things up... but then you need to leave. If you can find another H-1B sponsor during that time, you can transfer to them once the application is accepted for processing... no need to wait for approval.

Ian
Old Jul 5th 2012, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Thing is i hava potential employer but hes askign me what he needs to do and how long i have left and i really have no idea

getting hold of anyone regarding my Visa in this country is a total nightmare too.
This thread should help you:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ansferring+H1b
Old Jul 5th 2012, 10:13 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thing is i hava potential employer but hes askign me what he needs to do...
As for "what he needs to do", he needs to consult with an Immigration Attorney to get the ball rolling on your petition. The sooner the better!

...and how long i have left and i really have no idea
Tell the future employer that you will continue to stay in status in the USA, and for him to proceed with submitting the petition for your transfer ASAP.

In the meantime, put in the request to change your status from H1B to B-1/B-2 so that you won't go out of status.

Rene
Old Jul 5th 2012, 10:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

He needs to appoint a Lawyer.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 3:55 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Not that you asked, but also pointing out that you only get the original length of time of the H1B, not a new length when you transfer it.

So if you've been working a couple of years and you're EB3 category, you might well time out before being able to get a greencard.
Old Jul 6th 2012, 5:24 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys

As soon as you lose the job, you are out-of-status and have to leave immediately. As I recall, it came up as an issue in a deportation hearing many years ago now and "immediately" was basically defined as "within a reasonable amount of time" which USCIS interprets as ten days. (The employer is supposed to notify USCIS of the layoff... doesn't seem to happen that often.)

The new employer has to file I-129, they check the "change of employer" box so there is no quota usage.

Last edited by Steve_; Jul 6th 2012 at 5:26 am.