At the beginning ...

Old Jul 24th 2020, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: At the beginning ...

Originally Posted by civilservant
US paramedics are, in very great proportion, ex military. That's because they are usually employed at local county level and they pretty much all have pro-military veteran hiring policies similiar to Police Departments. A good number of paramedics are biding time until they can come before full fledged (read: full time) firefighters.

They are not well paid at all.
Our local firefighters and EMS aren't paid at all! They're volunteers.
Old Aug 5th 2020, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

Rose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by matticus
Hello, sorry to ask such basic questions. I have looked through previous posts but can’t find any that match my queries.

My wife and I have decided that we’d like to move to Florida, US. We’re both British.

I am a Registered Paramedic here in the UK and my wife is a Project Manager.

From what I have seen; Paramedic is not on the list of needed skills, meaning that this will not help me in gaining a visa. Although I am enquiring about potential conversion courses that might allow me to register as a Paramedic in the US (this is likely to take 1-2 years at least to achieve).

This has led me to thinking that our best chance of gaining entry to US would be via the Green Card Lottery. Which is still a shot in the dark from what I can as see.

As an added complication, I was refused a Holiday Visa (?) around 11 years ago as I made an error on my application. I have since visited US on holiday on an ESTA without problem.

Are you able to offer any advice as to the best way to go about immigrating or are our chances so minimal that we’re better off not getting our hopes up?

Thanks for your time
I don't know if you're still reading replies as it seems you've had some issues with some of the posts, but what I will say is to focus on the advice here and ignore the tone if that helps you. US immigration officials are humourless and rude, for the entirety of the process, and will make you feel as though your presence in their country - even though totally legal - is a huge burden to them. A bit of snarkiness online is nothing in comparison, honestly. But, like I said, just read for the information and try to take the tone of the comments on the nose. Also please be aware that a lot of people ask very general questions, and it can be a bit fatiguing.

All, right, that's out of the way. To your specific question: to make immigration to the US work, you need to be very open to different paths in order to get here. For example, don't focus on a particular state. If what you like about Florida is the weather and the beaches, look at Alabama and Georgia for example. If you want to be a large, warm weather city, consider Houston and New Orleans. Wherever you first live is not where you have to stay, if you can become a permanent resident down the line. Maybe you start out in South Dakota, who knows.

Be open to changing your field of work. Would you consider getting a degree or other certification in the US? Most people balk at the cost without even considering the funding that's available to most people who are studying at the postgraduate level. This is a big research task in and of itself, but again, you've got to be open minded. Or you could change your jobs UK side to work for companies that have a US presence, which sounds easier for your partner than for you perhaps. You might have to be willing to take a step back in terms of status, income, and lifestyle.

UK citizens can and do make it to the US, but if you ask how they did it, you tend to hear the same few routes over and over again: marriage, company transfer, or work visa following a US-based degree. Try to come up with ways to make the jigsaw pieces fit together. Good luck.
Old Aug 5th 2020, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

sarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond repute

Hi matticus, I’m a registered nurse living and working in Texas, an option for you may be to train as a nurse the only snag being that you would have to ensure you had sufficient hours in paediatrics, psychiatry, obstetrics and med surg to satisfy the state board of nursing. Being an RN gives you the ability to obtain a green card for you and your family. Good luck with your journey as previously mentioned the USA is one of the hardest countries to immigrate to.
Old Aug 9th 2020, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Matticus, not meaning to complicate your intended path but I believe that firefighters/EMT paramedics in Florida need to be USC's.
Old Aug 10th 2020, 2:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Please keep in mind this forum is to discuss immigration only. Off topic posts re firefighters has been moved to the TP forum.

https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-i...-forum-934252/