Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

A beginner's question re: Green Card through marriage

A beginner's question re: Green Card through marriage

Old Aug 23rd 2009, 6:15 am
Just Joined

flairon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A beginner's question re: Green Card through marriage

Basically, the advise would appear to be correct. Bottom line is that so long as he entered legally, and did not intend to get married and stay at the point of entering the U.S. you can get married and apply for permanent residence.

However, if you were to get married within the 90 days it may suggest that he misrepresented his intentions at the point of entry.

Ultimately if one enters legally, but then overstays their period of admission, they can successfully apply to adjust status if they marry a U.S. citizen and meets other qualifying criteria. This remains the case, even if they over stay by several years.
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 6:29 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flairon
However, if you were to get married within the 90 days it may suggest that he misrepresented his intentions at the point of entry.
Is this good advice for the ninth?
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 7:18 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Is this good advice for the ninth?
?????

I note they have decided not to appply for aos at this time. That being the case, I would agree that the I-129F would be the correct and proper way to go. So long as you submit enough evidence as to the validity of your relationship and the fact that you have actually met, it is not as tedious as some suggest (save of course the time factor). Pictures, airline tickets, emails, cards, letters, affidavits etc....

I know a few that went down this path with little to no problems.
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 7:40 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

?????

I note they have decided not to appply for aos at this time. That being the case, I would agree that the I-129F would be the correct and proper way to go. So long as you submit enough evidence as to the validity of your relationship and the fact that you have actually met, it is not as tedious as some suggest (save of course the time factor). Pictures, airline tickets, emails, cards, letters, affidavits etc....

I know a few that went down this path with little to no problems.
I'm wondering about the waiting more than 90 days in the ninth.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 9:59 am
Just Joined

I'm wondering about the waiting more than 90 days in the ninth.
Not sure what you mean by the ninth? Do you mean appying for employment authorization or simply waitibng to apply to adjust status once he enters the U.S.? If the latter, it should not be an issue if he enters on the fiancee visa. In that case, they cdan get married and apply to adjust status straight away.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 12:09 pm
Septicity

Not sure what you mean by the ninth? Do you mean appying for employment authorization or simply waitibng to apply to adjust status once he enters the U.S.? If the latter, it should not be an issue if he enters on the fiancee visa. In that case, they cdan get married and apply to adjust status straight away.
Perhaps I should have written the Ninth? I'm asking if your advice to adjust status after the elapse of the I-94W holds good if the beneficiary lives within the area covered by the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 1:10 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps I should have written the Ninth? I'm asking if your advice to adjust status after the elapse of the I-94W holds good if the beneficiary lives within the area covered by the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.

Even writing Ninth wouldn't have done it. It didn't for me and I'm sure taht newbies won't have a clue about the Ninth District Court and their arbitrary rulings.

In fact, as I'm not Meauxna, Meaxie thanks her lucky stars, I don't even know what jurisdiction is the Ninth. Just know that Folinsky goes on about it from time to time.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

Wenchy is just really niceWenchy is just really niceWenchy is just really niceWenchy is just really niceWenchy is just really niceWenchy is just really niceWenchy is just really niceWenchy is just really nice

Hi all...many thanks again for all the replies.

So it seems we are still leaning towards doing the K-1. So long as he can visit me while it's all in the approval process, that's what we want to do for sure. It seems the best way to go. The information I have received here just tells me that's the best way for us.

Are there any rules about my boyfriend having to be in the US/not allowed in the US when I start the I-129f?
Old Aug 25th 2009, 2:16 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by Rete
Even writing Ninth wouldn't have done it. It didn't for me and I'm sure taht newbies won't have a clue about the Ninth District Court and their arbitrary rulings.
I was being obtuse. Do you think we can ignore the ruling now?
Old Aug 25th 2009, 2:17 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by Wenchy
Are there any rules about my boyfriend having to be in the US/not allowed in the US when I start the I-129f?
Nope. File away.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 2:25 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

W,

The same rules that apply to any other wanna-be visitor.

Regaards, JEff

Old Aug 25th 2009, 2:29 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I was being obtuse. Do you think we can ignore the ruling now?

Thought you were just a little overweight.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

WARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond reputeWARPed has a reputation beyond repute

No rules. You may find it easier to prep all the paperwork and arrange the I129-F packet while he is around. That way you can both go get your pics taken together, he can fill/sign his forms, you can fill yours, then you can check each others for problems/mistakes. It puts the responsibility on both of your shoulders and therefore takes some of the strain off you.

Again it isn't a difficult process. Just time consuming so an extra pair of eyes and hands will help.

Good luck.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

Wenchy is just really niceWenchy is just really niceWenchy is just really niceWenchy is just really niceWenchy is just really niceWenchy is just really niceWenchy is just really niceWenchy is just really nice

Originally Posted by WARPed
No rules. You may find it easier to prep all the paperwork and arrange the I129-F packet while he is around. That way you can both go get your pics taken together, he can fill/sign his forms, you can fill yours, then you can check each others for problems/mistakes. It puts the responsibility on both of your shoulders and therefore takes some of the strain off you.

Again it isn't a difficult process. Just time consuming so an extra pair of eyes and hands will help.

Good luck.

That's great, thank you!