British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   Been done to death but very confused. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/been-done-death-but-very-confused-747753/)

keepyourpeace Feb 7th 2012 7:47 pm

Been done to death but very confused.

Okay as I understand it, British citizens can travel to the US under the visa waiver programme? So dont have to apply for a visa. However I at the age of 17 was arrested and given a reprimand for posession of a very small amount of cannabis.

I thought at first Id never be let into the US again but Ive been doing some research and based on this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...ted_Violations
and this

An alien who is convicted of or who admits to having committed or who
admits committing acts which constitute the essential elements of a minor
drug offense(s) relating to simple possession or use of controlled
substances, i.e., offenses other than those involving trafficking,
importing/exporting, or manufacturing (18 U.S.C.), shall not be considered
ineligible for any visa based solely upon any such conviction or admission if
the acts which are the subject of the conviction or admission occurred while
the alien was under the age of eighteen. Specifically excluded from such U.S. Department of State Foreign Affairs Manual Volume 9 - Visas
9 FAM 40.21(b) Notes Page 2 of 8
treatment, however, are convictions or admissions relating to drug
trafficking, importing/exporting, and manufacturing

So Im confused. Does this mean I have to apply for a visa or can travel under the VWP?

Noorah101 Feb 7th 2012 7:51 pm

Re: Been done to death but very confused.

Originally Posted by keepyourpeace (Post 9889325)
Okay as I understand it, British citizens can travel to the US under the visa waiver programme? So dont have to apply for a visa. However I at the age of 17 was arrested and given a reprimand for posession of a very small amount of cannabis.

How long ago was that?
How much exactly was "a very small amount"?

Rene

fatbrit Feb 7th 2012 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101 (Post 9889329)
How long ago was that?
How much exactly was "a very small amount"?

Rene

I think it's irrelevant. The answer to the crime question on ESTA is yes, and this will automatically deny the ESTA. OP needs a B-2 visa application if s/he wishes to visit the US.

paulpur Feb 7th 2012 8:04 pm

id say that you have to apply for a visa, but may be recommended for a waiver if it was below a certain amount, but since you were arrested for drugs means you are not eligible for vwp

keepyourpeace Feb 7th 2012 8:10 pm

Hi-

Itll be 3 years ago this summer. And very small is about 1 gram under the 30g of cannabis as specified on the Wikipedia page I linked to.

I thought the ESTA thing was about CIMT which the actual answer is no (Ive read this on various threads on here and on the links given on them!). So would ESTA still be denied?

So given all this, especially as I read somewhere if the crime was committed between ages of 15 and 18 the US don't see it as committing a crime, my ESTA would be denied and I couldn't travel under the VWP so would have to apply for a Visa?

paulpur Feb 7th 2012 8:15 pm

yeah but the thing is, the question asks about cimt OR controlled substances arrests or convictions

keepyourpeace Feb 7th 2012 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by paulpur (Post 9889372)
yeah but the thing is, the question asks about cimt OR controlled substances arrests or convictions

Sorry if it seems like im arguing, just from what Ive read, the single posession of a small amount of cannabis doesnt count? Or am I mistaken?

fatbrit Feb 7th 2012 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by keepyourpeace (Post 9889375)
Sorry if it seems like im arguing, just from what Ive read, the single posession of a small amount of cannabis doesnt count? Or am I mistaken?

Have you ever been arrested for drugs?
The answer is yes.
You need a B-2.

Will you get a B2 if the offence is only 3 years old?
I doubt it. But you can try.

keepyourpeace Feb 7th 2012 8:30 pm

Still confused, because ive read (check the wiki page) that single posession offence is allowable (cant find other links to where I read it). Should I phone the embassy and ask?

fatbrit Feb 7th 2012 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by keepyourpeace (Post 9889404)
Still confused, because ive read (check the wiki page) that single posession offence is allowable (cant find other links to where I read it). Should I phone the embassy and ask?

If you really, really want to go to the US, you should follow the instructions on the embassy's website for applying for a B2 w.r.t. a criminal offence. Be prepared to spend a few hundred squid or more, and don't be surprised if they send you for a medical with a drug screen. If it gets denied, wait 5 years and try again.

Or chose another place in this great world for your vacation.

materialcontroller Feb 7th 2012 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by keepyourpeace (Post 9889404)

Even if the single petty offense exception applied in this case, and I'm not sure it does, it isn't something you can adjudicate for yourself. You have to answer the ESTA question truthfully and, if not authorised, apply for a B2 visa; during which process the US authorities will decide whether or not to apply the provisions of the petty offense exception.

keepyourpeace Feb 7th 2012 8:54 pm

Okay- so if I ring up the embassy they could say, you were 17 (a juvenile in the US's eyes), it was a very small amount, you can travel under VWP.
Or see what ESTA says.
And then apply for a visa?

materialcontroller Feb 7th 2012 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by keepyourpeace (Post 9889463)
Okay- so if I ring up the embassy they could say, you were 17 (a juvenile in the US's eyes), it was a very small amount, you can travel under VWP.
Or see what ESTA says.

I can already tell you what the embassy hotline staff will say... "You need to apply for a visa". Why spend £1.23 a min to be told that?

The ESTA question says:

"Have you ever been arrested or convicted for an offense or crime involving moral turpitude or a violation related to a controlled substance; or have been arrested or convicted for two or more offenses for which the aggregate sentence to confinement was five years or more; or have been a controlled substance trafficker; or are you seeking entry to engage in criminal or immoral activities?"

Given what you've told us so far, you need to answer YES to this question. Which more than likely will result in your ESTA not being authorised, and you'll need to apply for a visa.

katiekat Feb 7th 2012 9:01 pm

The individuals at the embassy are under no obligation to give you factual or accurate information. You can try it and take their advice but you have no guarantee that they're telling you the truth.

Noorah101 Feb 7th 2012 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by keepyourpeace (Post 9889463)
Or see what ESTA says.

Don't call the embassy. They are not the ones who can help you with this. If you need a professional opinion, ONLY consult with a qualified immigration attorney. Why? Because it's not the embassy's job to tell you anything ahead of time, until you are face to face with them at your visa interview. Even if they DO talk to you ahead of time, and they give you the wrong information, and you act on it, THEY are not the ones held responsible, and you will pay the price for it.

If you want to try ESTA, go for it. Check "yes" to the "have you ever been arrested for a controlled substance", and see what happens. If ESTA is denied, then you can apply for a B-2.

Rene