Becoming a citizen?

Old Aug 21st 2015, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Becoming a citizen?

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Your location states that you are living in the UK -- is this relevant to you because you are planning on moving back to the US at some point? If not, citizenship would seem to be moot if you haven't taken the step already.
It's about the ability to go back and forth, leave possibility of permanent return open. US Citizenship is a step taken by many Brits at exactly the time when they decide to spend more/most time in the UK. I have felt uncomfortable about this for many reasons, including the oath, as we have been discussing.

And maybe you are saying I have been away too long to do it now anyway??

I haven't looked at that recently, so have been forgetting about that during this discussion. Anyway I have just been trying to explain why I haven't taken the step. It may well be moot now.
Old Aug 21st 2015, 3:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by between two worlds
US Citizenship is a step taken by many Brits at exactly the time when they decide to spend more/most time in the UK.
Umm what? My understanding is that quite a lot of Brits apply for citizenship as soon as they are eligible. They view it purely as a paperwork exercise in order to secure their status in the US.
Old Aug 21st 2015, 3:54 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

And maybe you are saying I have been away too long to do it now anyway??
You have to be resident in the US. Time outside the country re-sets the clock.
Old Aug 21st 2015, 5:14 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

And maybe you are saying I have been away too long to do it now anyway?
Your green card is only a valid travel document for one year. Further, if you're outside the US for more than one year, the citizenship clock automatically resets and you must then requalify - unless you filed an I-131 travel permit prior to leaving the US... and even then you're only somewhat protected.

Ian
Old Aug 21st 2015, 5:16 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Umm what? My understanding is that quite a lot of Brits apply for citizenship as soon as they are eligible. They view it purely as a paperwork exercise in order to secure their status in the US.
This, ..... and to avoid the recurring renewal of green cards.
Old Aug 21st 2015, 5:26 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
You have to be resident in the US. Time outside the country re-sets the clock.
Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Your green card is only a valid travel document for one year. Further, if you're outside the US for more than one year, the citizenship clock automatically resets and you must then requalify - unless you filed an I-131 travel permit prior to leaving the US... and even then you're only somewhat protected.

Ian
Per the notes in the left hand margin under her name, it looks like she has been living outside the US for over three years, so it is quite possible her green card is no longer valid anyway.
Old Aug 21st 2015, 7:43 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Per the notes in the left hand margin under her name, it looks like she has been living outside the US for over three years, so it is quite possible her green card is no longer valid anyway.
Per post #19 she said she already did renew it "I just renewed with great difficulty, time, and expense"
Old Aug 21st 2015, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
US Citizenship is a step taken by many Brits at exactly the time when they decide to spend more/most time in the UK.
Yes but you're both right. These are not mutually exclusive scenarios.

As you say, many people apply to become USCs because they they want to stay in the US and want to secure their future there.

However, there are also other people who decide to live quite happily in the US as GC holders without considering becoming a USC right up until the point they start to think about leaving the US. Then many apply to become USCs before leaving the country. They do this simply to secure the ability to return to the US later.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Aug 21st 2015 at 8:35 pm.
Old Aug 21st 2015, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by tht
Per post #19 she said she already did renew it "I just renewed with great difficulty, time, and expense"
I can image it would be "difficult" if she left the US four years ago and now lives overseas. I believe the intention of the green card regulations is that such shenanigans are impossible.
Old Aug 24th 2015, 7:05 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I can image it would be "difficult" if she left the US four years ago and now lives overseas. I believe the intention of the green card regulations is that such shenanigans are impossible.
I have no experience renewing one as I have only had mine 4 years, but since she said she she had a USC husband and adult children living here, if she visited often enough to not have an immigration officer ask questions, I assume she just came back and applied to renew it and stayed till she got it. Do they ask how many days you have been here for a renewal? I though that was only to get US Citizenship?
Old Aug 24th 2015, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by tht
I have no experience renewing one as I have only had mine 4 years, but since she said she she had a USC husband and adult children living here, if she visited often enough to not have an immigration officer ask questions, I assume she just came back and applied to renew it and stayed till she got it. .....
I dunno. The OP said she experienced "difficulty", so unless she explains it we'll never know.
Old Aug 24th 2015, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Ha well I'll explain as you're all speculatng….

I have been in and out of the US in the last four years, while maintaining a residence in US. Yes, as my profile says, base is now Gloucestershire, but ties to US remain strong--USC spouse, house here, adult child here, some banking here, frequent visits etc etc. USC spouse was working overseas during these four years and we came back at least twice a year to US, so immigration officers were ok with that--expat assignment explained my residency overseas, and I was never away more than a year between visits.

I do know you have to come back to US at least once a year to maintain residency (unless you get a re-entry permit), and I am fine with that, and with staying a while each time, and may stay months at a time, in the future.

The green card renewal was difficult just for practical reasons, because it did entail journeys back and forth to US, more than one because of fingerprint glitch. But no problem bureaucratically.

Maryland Ned is right that there are sort of two groups of UK expats who take US citizenship, the ones who plan to stay for ever, and the ones who decide to go back to UK but want to keep doors open to possible return, especially if they have family here.

I am not the OP but I have rather hijacked that person's thread--sorry, DK007!

I was just responding to the hesitation DK007 was feeling about citizenship, even tho s/he seems to be planning to stay. I was trying to explain my own hesitation. And wondering if anyone else could relate.

Anyway, I am unlikely to take the step now--but I have appreciated the discussion!

Let's go back to DK007--has this discussion helped?

I should add that in your situation, planning to throw in your lot 100% with USA and not go back to UK, I probably would have become a citizen.

So I hope I haven't put you off--if it would be the best thing for you, and you have no qualms about the oath because you're happy to renounce your allegiance to UK, do it! Don't listen to my wofflings on the subject!

Last edited by between two worlds; Aug 24th 2015 at 10:00 pm. Reason: clarity
Old Aug 24th 2015, 10:09 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... frequent visits etc...
Umm - you can't actually visit your permanent residence!

I do know you have to come back to US at least once a year to maintain residency...
With respect, that's a myth - and has been one for countless years.

But no problem bureaucratically.
It should have been a bureaucratic nightmare for you - and it easily could have been. You were lucky... nothing more than that!

Ian
Old Aug 24th 2015, 10:20 pm

Ha well I'll explain as you're all speculatng….

I have been in and out of the US in the last four years, while maintaining a residence in US. Yes, as my profile says, base is now Gloucestershire, but ties to US remain strong--USC spouse, house here, adult child here, some banking here, frequent visits etc etc. USC spouse was working overseas during these four years and we came back at least twice a year to US, so immigration officers were ok with that--expat assignment explained my residency overseas, and I was never away more than a year between visits.

I do know you have to come back to US at least once a year to maintain residency (unless you get a re-entry permit), and I am fine with that, and with staying a while each time, and may stay months at a time, in the future.

The green card renewal was difficult just for practical reasons, because it did entail journeys back and forth to US, more than one because of fingerprint glitch. But no problem bureaucratically. .....
As Ian said, you are skating on much thinner ice than you realise.
Old Aug 25th 2015, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes, Ian and Pulaski, you are probably right….thanks anyway for all this discussion.

Again, I'm feeling sorry about hi-jacking the OP's thread, so let's go back there…..

DK007 I hope this was of some use to you in sorting your thoughts.

As I said, it makes sense for you to become a citizen, as has been amply shown here.