Bank Balance for I20

Old Sep 29th 2009, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

vr4indian is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Bank Balance for I20

Hello Friends

Can I know how much balance we need to show to get I20 along with other necessary documents.

Say my college's first year fees (incuding everything) is 34000 US$, so will it be okay if i show 35000$ in my bank balance? or i do need to show 5 to 10k more than estimated fees?

how will university look at this kind of application?
1: student is able to meet minimum criteria of fees, so lets issue i20
2: studnet has required but not enough money in his bank? so lets not issue i20
3: though we put 34k in our brochure, we are giving i20 to only those who have min. 40000 in his bank balance, as its average balance of applying student, though we need 34k only.

can you guys help here? will 35k will be okay or i should apply only after having 40k in my account?

Thanks
Old Sep 29th 2009, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

sudha is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bank Balance for I20

As far as I know Universities dont put much emphasis on the bank statement, its just the scores that they look at and the how close you are to their requirements academically. If you have min required amount that should be more than enough.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 10:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sudha
As far as I know Universities dont put much emphasis on the bank statement, its just the scores that they look at and the how close you are to their requirements academically. If you have min required amount that should be more than enough.
Yes they do for international students...you need to show that you can pay the uni fees and support yourself.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

vr4indian is an unknown quantity at this point

my question is how much balance i need to show..
Old Sep 29th 2009, 10:59 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vr4indian
my question is how much balance i need to show..
Have you asked the uni? I'm not sure if the amount will differ depending on what uni you are attending.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

sudha is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Yes they do for international students...you need to show that you can pay the uni fees and support yourself.
Yes I agree with you, the Uni will look for the bank statement, My opinion is "they will be satisfied with the min required amount" shown on the statement as per the requirement.

It wont make any difference if you have a lot more in bank than needed, but you should have atleast the min required.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

elliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud ofelliep has much to be proud of

Most universities require a letter from your bank stating that you have the minimum required amount for 1 years worth of tuition, normally around $27000 (this does not include accommodation/food etc) and will ask for this to be stated in a letter including when the account was opened, the currency it is in on top of stating that the funds are sufficient for 1 year tuition.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

The university or college that you are applying to will have an international student advisor - you should ask them in advance exactly how much you need to show as available assets in order to meet the requirements for the particular courses that you will be taking.

The amount that they will want to see is usually the fees for your courses plus living expenses. They should be able to give you an exact number.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 9:28 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vr4indian
Say my college's first year fees (incuding everything) is 34000 US$, so will it be okay if i show 35000$ in my bank balance? or i do need to show 5 to 10k more than estimated fees?
What did the university say when you asked them?

Ian
Old Sep 29th 2009, 9:52 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sudha
The university isn't the main concern. The consulate also wants to know that the person can pay and have enough to live on before they issue the visa....

I don't see why this is really relevant. What if they want to see more than you have? Will the OP just print some more money and deposit it?
Old Sep 30th 2009, 2:48 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crg
I don't see why this is really relevant. What if they want to see more than you have? Will the OP just print some more money and deposit it?
It seems to be a very reasonable question to me - although one that would be better asked of (and more accurately answered by) the international student advisor of the college or university in question.

If the OP is able to discover in advance that they do not have sufficient funds in their account they have the option of finding a sponsor who is willing to provide the additional funds and give them an affidavit of support - not quite as good as "printing money" but still effective.

... and while I agree that the university isn't the "main" concern they are, at least, one of the initial concerns because they won't even give the OP and I-20 unless they are satisfied that they have the necessary funds available. Without the I-20 the F-1 visa application can't happen and the OP will never even get as far as the interview at the consulate ...

Last edited by md95065; Sep 30th 2009 at 2:51 am.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 3:50 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
It seems to be a very reasonable question to me - although one that would be better asked of (and more accurately answered by) the international student advisor of the college or university in question.

If the OP is able to discover in advance that they do not have sufficient funds in their account they have the option of finding a sponsor who is willing to provide the additional funds and give them an affidavit of support - not quite as good as "printing money" but still effective.

... and while I agree that the university isn't the "main" concern they are, at least, one of the initial concerns because they won't even give the OP and I-20 unless they are satisfied that they have the necessary funds available. Without the I-20 the F-1 visa application can't happen and the OP will never even get as far as the interview at the consulate ...
An affidavit of support for an F-1???
Old Sep 30th 2009, 4:06 am
Just Joined

Rebecca80 is an unknown quantity at this point

In my case I was told how much I needed to have by the international student's admissions officer, and I had to provide her a bank statement showing the funds (around $25000) in order to get an acceptance letter.

I would say all universities are different because all tuitions are different - you then need living costs. As suggested above, just ask your university's admissions office - they will give you an exact figure.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 4:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by crg
An affidavit of support for an F-1???
Yes

Many US educational institutions have their own "affidavit of support" forms which they require the financial sponsors of potential international students to complete.

When I sponsored an F-1 visa applicant last year I just completed an I-134 since the school in question did not have a form of their own. Both the school and the consulate seemed to find this perfectly satisfactory, the visa was issued, and the person in question is now studying in the US.
Old Sep 30th 2009, 2:50 pm
crg
American Expat

Thanks for the lmgtfy link. I had absolutely no idea what Google was, or how to use it, and I know absolutely nothing about immigration law. Thank you so much for your helpfulness and insight.

BTW: Just because the consulate issued the visa, doesn't mean that using the official form was a factor in the consulates decision. That's like saying that you gave the affidavit to the bank as part of a car loan application and it worked like a charm.

Last edited by crg; Sep 30th 2009 at 3:23 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.