Baby's citizenship

Old Dec 29th 2004, 7:08 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Baby's citizenship

Originally Posted by fatbrit
On a quick Google (afraid your lazy researcher couldn't be bothered collecting URLs for citations).

You will hold Italian citizenship by being born there. You have to formally renounce it to get rid. There were prroblems with Italian and other citizenships -- these are no longer there!
A quick look at the Italian government websites gives no mention of any fact that people can get Italian citizenship purely by birth in Italy.

The various Italian government websites all suggest the principle of descent from an Italian parent generally applies, rather than birth in Italy.

This site is not official but gives a good overview:
http://www.geocities.com/robinicus91...an_citizen.htm

Jeremy
Old Dec 29th 2004, 7:11 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
A quick look at the Italian government websites gives no mention of any fact that people can get Italian citizenship purely by birth in Italy.

The various Italian government websites all suggest the principle of descent from an Italian parent generally applies, rather than birth in Italy.

This site is not official but gives a good overview:
http://www.geocities.com/robinicus91...an_citizen.htm

Jeremy
So that's what I get by being a lazy researcher. I'll go find the URL!
Old Dec 29th 2004, 7:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
But, they do have a pretty good footy team, so their chances of winning a world cup before England may sway my chances.
That's very true, and reason enough if the kids any good at footie to get some trophies...but straying away a bit here ain't we
Old Dec 29th 2004, 7:32 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I'll go find the URL!
http://www.italylink.com/dualcitforum/messages/232.html would seem to suggest that have to also live there till you're 18. However, credibility of source is low.
Old Dec 29th 2004, 7:37 pm
Septicity

I'll go find the URL!
Finally: http://www.coe.int/T/E/human%5Fright...asp#P108_11011

Source is good.
Old Dec 29th 2004, 7:53 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Source is good, and makes it clear that a child born to foreign parents in Italy is not automatically Italian at birth.

If one of the parents becomes an Italian citizen, or the child lives there until age 18, then it's a different story.

I am not aware of any European country which automatically grants nationality based on birth in the territory without additional requirements (which vary from country to country). The last one to do so is Ireland, but this is going to change from 1 January 2005.

Jeremy
Old Dec 30th 2004, 10:09 am
Joe Feise

JAJ wrote on 12/29/2004 21:53:
    >>Finally:rights/Ecri/1%2DECRI/2%2DCountry%2Dby%2Dcountry%5Fapproach/Italy/CBC2-
    >>Italy.asp#P108_11011
    >>Source is good.
    >
    >
    > Source is good, and makes it clear that a child born to foreign parents
    > in Italy is not automatically Italian at birth.
    >
    > If one of the parents becomes an Italian citizen, or the child lives
    > there until age 18, then it's a different story.
    >
    > I am not aware of any European country which automatically grants
    > nationality based on birth in the territory without additional
    > requirements (which vary from country to country).

France, I think (haven't verified that, though.)

-Joe

Old Dec 30th 2004, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

helendha is a jewel in the roughhelendha is a jewel in the roughhelendha is a jewel in the roughhelendha is a jewel in the rough

Thanks so much to everyone for your replies, they are greatly appreciated and have helped point us in the right direction...

Another stupid question: with regard to dual citizenship, how does that work? Does each country need to know about the other? Or could we (for example) simply apply for the baby to be a citizen of both the US and UK completely independently of one another?
Old Dec 30th 2004, 3:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helendha
Thanks so much to everyone for your replies, they are greatly appreciated and have helped point us in the right direction...

Another stupid question: with regard to dual citizenship, how does that work? Does each country need to know about the other? Or could we (for example) simply apply for the baby to be a citizen of both the US and UK completely independently of one another?
Don't need to let each country know as far as I know, well you might have to indicate on the passport forms, don't know, but only allowed to use that counry passport to enter and leave that country.
Old Dec 30th 2004, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

helendha is a jewel in the roughhelendha is a jewel in the roughhelendha is a jewel in the roughhelendha is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Bob
Don't need to let each country know as far as I know, well you might have to indicate on the passport forms, don't know, but only allowed to use that counry passport to enter and leave that country.
That's great, thanks. That is kinda what I understood from my online search but it just seemed a bit too easy - I was expecting lots of extra applications and approvals to be needed. Good news!
Old Dec 30th 2004, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

HunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond reputeHunterGreen has a reputation beyond repute

Helen,

Being how a lot of people currently serving in the military grew up as military brats themselves (travelling all-over), and since no-one mentioned this before, I just wanted to point you to the following with regard to the US citizenship of your child:

TRANSMITTING U.S. CITIZENSHIP

A child born outside the United States on or after November 14, 1986, of one American and one alien parent acquires U.S. citizenship at birth if the American parent has been physically present in the United States prior to the birth of the child for a minimum period of five years, at least two of which were after that parent's fourteenth birthday.

Elaine
Old Dec 30th 2004, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by HunterGreen
A child born outside the United States on or after November 14, 1986, of one American and one alien parent acquires U.S. citizenship at birth if the American parent has been physically present in the United States prior to the birth of the child for a minimum period of five years, at least two of which were after that parent's fourteenth birthday.
[/i]

Elaine
Thanks Elaine.....my dh has served overseas (outside US) for 15 years but I'm pretty sure does fulfill the '5 year' rule - especially if his military service is counted as US residence (which surely it must - but soemthing else for me to check!).
Old Dec 30th 2004, 6:10 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helendha

This is the premier DIY dual-cit FAQ:
http://www.richw.org/dualcit/
You might find some helpful guidelines on how to handle it in the future
Old Dec 31st 2004, 7:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

simon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the rough

If the birth is at a hospital on a US base, then isn't that considered US soil? If so then Italy might not even come into the equation
Old Dec 31st 2004, 7:57 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by simon bland
If the birth is at a hospital on a US base, then isn't that considered US soil? If so then Italy might not even come into the equation
It wouldn't anyway, as you don't get citizenship by being born there alone anyway, need to have a parent, or residence for whatever length of time etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.