Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Baby born in the US - Did you/are you teaching them what it is to be British?

Baby born in the US - Did you/are you teaching them what it is to be British?

Old Apr 18th 2013, 9:15 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Baby born in the US - Did you/are you teaching them what it is to be British?

Originally Posted by Manc
born in wythenshawe though.
I've lived in Fallowfield and Moss Side, right next to Maine Road. It was an experience.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 9:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Baby born in the US - Did you/are you teaching them what it is to be British?

Originally Posted by Manc
born in wythenshawe though.
Yeah but, no but...you can't help where you were born.
Old Apr 19th 2013, 11:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

tuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
I went to a lot of trouble once to learn the Dutch for "Can I have a room for two people please", which I thought I had off pat. So I tried it checking in at a hotel in Arnhem. "Heft U ein kamer fur dweeren persons", or somesuch.

"Certainly Sir", the receptionist replied , in unaccented English....
I read a review of Pimsleur Dutch once he said the most helpful part was learning to ask if they spoke English that everyone did.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 1:47 am
Banned

nateusa will become famous soon enoughnateusa will become famous soon enough

why would you not teach your kids about their rich heritage?

it is an advantage.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 6:13 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Because unlike (most) Americans we know it isn't the only country on the planet; not do many consider it the best. Attempting to foist an idea on children hardly ever works.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 10:58 am
Banned

Originally Posted by civilservant
Because unlike (most) Americans we know it isn't the only country on the planet; not do many consider it the best. Attempting to foist an idea on children hardly ever works.
i'm talking about britain or where ever the child is originally from.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 11:06 am
Banned

i thought it was the only country in the world.

that is why i lived most of my life away from it.

Last edited by nateusa; Apr 20th 2013 at 11:09 am.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 2:05 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

I have to smile, we can't win-either we consider the US "the only country" in the world, or we are fascinated with "our heritage from the other side of the pond."
Old Apr 20th 2013, 2:10 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Good point, well made
Old Apr 20th 2013, 2:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Yeah, Mrs P picked several British swear words from her time in the UK, though I rarely use(d) them around her, and never round little Miss P.
Ah yes... Bloody hell this, bloody hell that and bugger everything else!! But when I'm really bringing out the big guns, I go for FFS!!!!
Old Apr 20th 2013, 3:04 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Good point, well made
Interesting to me, the brothers Tsarnaev were referred to as ethnic Chechans, even though according to their uncle, they NEVER lived there but were raised in a nearby region. They were still in their minority when they came here to the USA and then became citizens.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 3:22 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by cindyabs
I have to smile, we can't win-either we consider the US "the only country" in the world, or we are fascinated with "our heritage from the other side of the pond."
it is for your kids though, innit?

if it is your kids' heritage and of their parents is british yes teach them their heritage as they are half british.

what the op was referring to was americans who've never been to britain laying a claim to the history of britain, and obsessing over royal family etc. which is naff.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 3:26 pm
Sursum corda

Originally Posted by nateusa

if it is your kids' heritage and of their parents is british yes teach them their heritage as they are half british.

what the op was referring to was americans who've never been to britain laying a claim to the history of britain, and obsessing over royal family etc. which is naff.
I er, got it nateusa.........thanks.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

optomisticgirl is just really niceoptomisticgirl is just really niceoptomisticgirl is just really niceoptomisticgirl is just really niceoptomisticgirl is just really niceoptomisticgirl is just really niceoptomisticgirl is just really niceoptomisticgirl is just really niceoptomisticgirl is just really niceoptomisticgirl is just really niceoptomisticgirl is just really nice

Originally Posted by nateusa

Actually the OP - my husband - was referring to me telling him I wanted to surround our children with just as much British culture as possible as we do their American culture.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

optomisticgirl is just really niceoptomisticgirl is just really niceoptomisticgirl is just really niceoptomisticgirl is just really niceoptomisticgirl is just really niceoptomisticgirl is just really niceoptomisticgirl is just really niceoptomisticgirl is just really niceoptomisticgirl is just really niceoptomisticgirl is just really niceoptomisticgirl is just really nice

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Ah yes... Bloody hell this, bloody hell that and bugger everything else!! But when I'm really bringing out the big guns, I go for FFS!!!!
I've picked FFS up from hubby as well on the rare occasion he uses it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.