Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Baby born in the US - Did you/are you teaching them what it is to be British?

Baby born in the US - Did you/are you teaching them what it is to be British?

Old Apr 20th 2013, 4:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Baby born in the US - Did you/are you teaching them what it is to be British?

Originally Posted by optomisticgirl
I've picked FFS up from hubby as well on the rare occasion he uses it.
Actually it wasn't hub that I picked it up from, just living in the UK! lol But it's a term I find sums things up when I'm super annoyed! Hubby doesn't like when I use it...
Old Apr 20th 2013, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

Lbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Baby born in the US - Did you/are you teaching them what it is to be British?

We teach our little ones to use a knife and fork properly, and the younger one has taken a liking to tea with milk and sugar. Both are partial to a little Cadburys.

The older one didn't speak a word of English when we arrived but now speaks only English, with a kind of American but not quite accent. The younger one was born here and doesn't really speak enough to have an accent yet.

I'd say the only really British thing we're teaching them is politeness, and perhaps a sense of social justice that I don't feel is particularly prevalent here.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

BellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond reputeBellaE has a reputation beyond repute

I taught my three (now grown) to eat Cadbury's and (with partial success) to say please and thank you. Also to appreciate the Beatles, Python, and Dr. Who. Apart from that, they are Yanks though and through.
(Any rhyming in this post is completely accidental.)
Old Apr 20th 2013, 4:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BellaE
I taught my three (now grown) to eat Cadbury's and (with partial success) to say please and thank you. Also to appreciate the Beatles, Python, and Dr. Who. Apart from that, they are Yanks though and through.
(Any rhyming in this post is completely accidental.)
I was taught to say please and thank you and I've taught my children the same. Don't think that's a British thing.... Being impolite seems to be a common factor everywhere these days. Really a shame....
Old Apr 20th 2013, 4:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lbjen
We teach our little ones to use a knife and fork properly, and the younger one has taken a liking to tea with milk and sugar. Both are partial to a little Cadburys.

The older one didn't speak a word of English when we arrived but now speaks only English, with a kind of American but not quite accent. The younger one was born here and doesn't really speak enough to have an accent yet.

I'd say the only really British thing we're teaching them is politeness, and perhaps a sense of social justice that I don't feel is particularly prevalent here.
I am confused by your last statement. I found all my daughter's American friends to be extremely polite.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 5:09 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I was taught to say please and thank you and I've taught my children the same. Don't think that's a British thing.... Being impolite seems to be a common factor everywhere these days. Really a shame....
I agree. It seems the majority of kids these days - of whatever nationality - have no manners and are not grateful for anything.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 5:21 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer
I agree. It seems the majority of kids these days - of whatever nationality - have no manners and are not grateful for anything.
Yup. Bunch of self important wee shites, the world over.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 6:00 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I was thinking the same thing.....................
Old Apr 20th 2013, 6:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lbjen
We teach our little ones to use a knife and fork properly, ...
By 'properly' I presume you mean the awkward practice of holding the knife throughout the entire meal whether needed or not, and holding the fork 'tines down' at all times? That is just as ridiculous as the American practice of swapping the fork from hand to hand. I pick up the knife when needed, and use the fork with my left hand at all times (I'm left handed). Perpetuating a silly practice doesn't help anyone ...
Old Apr 20th 2013, 6:27 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
By 'properly' I presume you mean the awkward practice of holding the knife throughout the entire meal whether needed or not, and holding the fork 'tines down' at all times? That is just as ridiculous as the American practice of swapping the fork from hand to hand. I pick up the knife when needed, and use the fork with my left hand at all times (I'm left handed). Perpetuating a silly practice doesn't help anyone ...
So, cutting the whole meal up, allowing it to get cold, so you can be lazy and swap your fork to your other hand, makes sense, does it? Or cutting (or attempting to cut) with a fork, instead of the implement designed for the task?
Old Apr 21st 2013, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light

I was just back in the UK a couple of weeks ago and picked up a bunch of toys with British accents. The baby got her first taste of real bacon, first cornish pasty and first hollands pie.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 4:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer
So, cutting the whole meal up, allowing it to get cold, so you can be lazy and swap your fork to your other hand, makes sense, does it? Or cutting (or attempting to cut) with a fork, instead of the implement designed for the task?
Uncle Eb - I said "That is just as ridiculous as the American practice of swapping the fork from hand to hand. I pick up the knife when needed, and use the fork with my left hand at all times " So I'm not advocating the US practice either. Just because the US practice is lame doesn't mean the British one is any better ...
Old Apr 21st 2013, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

optomisticgirl is just really niceoptomisticgirl is just really niceoptomisticgirl is just really niceoptomisticgirl is just really niceoptomisticgirl is just really niceoptomisticgirl is just really niceoptomisticgirl is just really niceoptomisticgirl is just really niceoptomisticgirl is just really niceoptomisticgirl is just really niceoptomisticgirl is just really nice

What is considered polite also differs. I was born and raised in the South, it was ingrained in me for as long as I can remember to say 'yes ma'm and no sir'. Not to do so ia rude and disrespectful. Even as an adult I do this. To my British husband it's extreme, a simple yes and no suffices.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 5:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
.... So I'm not advocating the US practice either. Just because the US practice is lame doesn't mean the British one is any better ...
So what do you suggest as a more logical alternative? .... Eat directly from a bowl, with your snout, like a pig?

Oh, and BTW, my knife is in almost continuous use, helping the fork by moving food around, especially sauces, rice, peas, beans etc., or by acting as a stop for the fork to push against. And that is how little Miss P is being taught - the knife is a helper.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 21st 2013 at 5:46 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 5:36 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
So what do you suggest as a more logical alternative? .... Eat directly from a bowl, with your snout, like a pig?
Ooh that sounds fun!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.