Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Baby born in the US - Did you/are you teaching them what it is to be British?

Baby born in the US - Did you/are you teaching them what it is to be British?

Old Apr 16th 2013, 7:58 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Baby born in the US - Did you/are you teaching them what it is to be British?

I have found though that it's not just having an influence on children, my wife says word she never did before (Bugger for example) that she would never have said before she met me and hear me use them.

In return I've picked up the extremely irritating 'Uh Huh' from her

Last edited by civilservant; Apr 16th 2013 at 8:01 pm.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 7:58 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Baby born in the US - Did you/are you teaching them what it is to be British?

I hear you. See my reply to cindyabs, which I might better have written here had I not seen her post first.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by BubbleChog
My husband is bi-lingual Cantonese/american so I'm trying to get him to speak to her in canto so she learns canto and so that most of the English she hears is British English - at least to begin with. I'm aware I'm not going to "win" this one though

Lx
Old Apr 17th 2013, 10:16 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
So she did. So if her "Chinese-American" husband is not speaking American the child may pick up a Chinese accent?

My stepson, who immigrated at age 2-1/2 after he had been speaking his native language for a bit, has long since spoken perfect 'American' and sometimes frustrates his mother when he corrects her non-American pronunciation.

In an attempt to keep him bilingual she usually speaks to him in their native language. He can understand what she's saying, but he can reply only in English.

Regards, JEff
No argument from me. I did the same thing when living in NL, had a Dutch friend who didn't speak English, so she would speak Dutch to me. I understood what she was saying, but we didn't have unlimited time for me to reply in Dutch, , so it was always bi-lingual conversation.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
I understood what she was saying, but we didn't have unlimited time for me to reply in Dutch, , so it was always bi-lingual conversation.
I went to a lot of trouble once to learn the Dutch for "Can I have a room for two people please", which I thought I had off pat. So I tried it checking in at a hotel in Arnhem. "Heft U ein kamer fur dweeren persons", or somesuch.

"Certainly Sir", the receptionist replied , in unaccented English....
Old Apr 17th 2013, 12:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
I believe she said NOT talking to her in American, which considering they are here in the US, might not be entirely under her control. Kids sometimes become "bilingual"- whatever the custom of the country is at school and then whatever keeps the peace at home.
Well if you kept them locked in the basement, I found that helps.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 12:17 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
I have found though that it's not just having an influence on children, my wife says word she never did before (Bugger for example) .....
Yeah, Mrs P picked several British swear words from her time in the UK, though I rarely use(d) them around her, and never round little Miss P.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 2:36 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

little Manc is an American for all intents and purposes.
I doubt I shall try to preprogam him with anything.

apart from football.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 4:00 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc

apart from football.
Yorkshire pudding, cream teas and mushy peas make the world better!!! These are important things I'm thankful for!
Old Apr 17th 2013, 4:01 pm
Sursum corda

Originally Posted by Bob
Well if you kept them locked in the basement, I found that helps.
well yeah, that too.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

My wife and I were both Australian, and became British only relatively recently. Our son was born in England, spent the first year of his life travelling around in a Kombi van, and the next year living in England. He came here to Cayman at age two, and we always referred to him as British; we even sent him to an English boarding school and university. BUT - he always thought of himself as Caymanian. Now, aged 37 and with two Norwegian children, he probably regards himself as Norwegian for all intents and purposes.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 2:10 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
My wife and I were both Australian, and became British only relatively recently. Our son was born in England, spent the first year of his life travelling around in a Kombi van, and the next year living in England. He came here to Cayman at age two, and we always referred to him as British; we even sent him to an English boarding school and university. BUT - he always thought of himself as Caymanian. Now, aged 37 and with two Norwegian children, he probably regards himself as Norwegian for all intents and purposes.
Interesting tale. As I say elsewhere, there's a difference between heritage, ethnicity, nationality, etc. Some people can legitimately claim many backgrounds.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 3:04 am
Forum Regular

digbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to alldigbydog is a name known to all

Very interesting thread.

I am English and my wife is Argentinean. Our daughter was born in Spain before moving here. As my wife has dual nationality with Spain our daughter has automatic Spanish and Argentinean nationalities but she travels on a UK passport with her Green card. Shortly she can become a USC.

I always wonder where she will think she is "from" when she is older.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 4:48 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc

apart from football.
Oh I'm sure the little Manc would love to learn all about the paradise that is Wythenshawe
Old Apr 18th 2013, 5:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
Oh I'm sure the little Manc would love to learn all about the paradise that is Wythenshawe
Thought Manc was from Sale.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 7:58 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Thought Manc was from Sale.
born in wythenshawe though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.