Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Baby born in the US - Did you/are you teaching them what it is to be British?

Baby born in the US - Did you/are you teaching them what it is to be British?

Old Apr 14th 2013, 10:01 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Baby born in the US - Did you/are you teaching them what it is to be British?

Originally Posted by civilservant
I have no problem with someone knowing where they come from, it's the *nationality*/american statement that gets on my nerves. If I was born in the UK but my great-great-grandparents lived in the Arctic am I an Eskimo?

I had this conversation with some Americans and they just cant understand it. Perhaps I need to lighten up!
I think their is a general conflation in some people's minds of "nationality", "citizenship", "ethnicity" and "heritage". They can be very different things.
Old Apr 14th 2013, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

optomisticgirl is just really niceoptomisticgirl is just really niceoptomisticgirl is just really niceoptomisticgirl is just really niceoptomisticgirl is just really niceoptomisticgirl is just really niceoptomisticgirl is just really niceoptomisticgirl is just really niceoptomisticgirl is just really niceoptomisticgirl is just really niceoptomisticgirl is just really nice
Default Re: Baby born in the US - Did you/are you teaching them what it is to be British?

I personally believe we as Americans say 'I'm Irish' or 'I'm British' to connect us with a country that is much older than our own. Compared to the rest of the world we are but a child. It's also due to the fact America was and is the great melting pot. To simply say I'm American, for me, only denotes were I was born, not were my heritage lies (although I do have Native American heritage).

Ultimately I think that's why it rubs some Brits wrong when they hear someone say 'He's Korean' when the person they are talking about was not born in Korea nor have they ever been there. The Brits are literal. If he was the child of a Korean immigrant than he would be Korean-American but not just Korean. However to us Americans we would view and even say he was Korean because for us it's not just about were you were born or were your citizenship lies, it's were your heritage comes from.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 12:20 am
BE Enthusiast

BubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond repute

Babychog is only 5 weeks old but I have already vetoed my Chinese American husband from talking to her in American (veto has not been totally successful) in the hope she will get a "cute" British accent at least until she starts school.

For me its quite important she gets a feel for her britishness as well as the chinese and american parts

Lx
Old Apr 16th 2013, 5:25 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

How will "talking to her in American" result in her getting a British accent?

Regards, JEff
Old Apr 16th 2013, 6:53 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy

Regards, JEff
I believe she said NOT talking to her in American, which considering they are here in the US, might not be entirely under her control. Kids sometimes become "bilingual"- whatever the custom of the country is at school and then whatever keeps the peace at home.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 6:57 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
I believe she said NOT talking to her in American, which considering they are here in the US, might not be entirely under her control. Kids sometimes become "bilingual"- whatever the custom of the country is at school and then whatever keeps the peace at home.
It's pretty much impossible to not expose a child to American accents, unless they are a complete shut-in anyway.

I've discovered that the exposure to the local accent, and to mine, has given my daughter an interesting, almost Canadian/UP Michigan accent because my inflections have made her more rhotic than the locals tend to be. Sometimes she sounds English as well, though. That's just from normal day to day talking with us at home, her daycare teachers and her wee friends.

Sadly, she has picked up a bit of Wisconsin 'whine' from somewhere as well
Old Apr 16th 2013, 6:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

BubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy

Regards, JEff
My husband is bi-lingual Cantonese/american so I'm trying to get him to speak to her in canto so she learns canto and so that most of the English she hears is British English - at least to begin with. I'm aware I'm not going to "win" this one though

Lx
Old Apr 16th 2013, 7:03 pm
Mions' a point.

MostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond reputeMostlyYank has a reputation beyond repute

Practice now - 'all yaalls, all yaalls'

Pete
Old Apr 16th 2013, 7:04 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
It's pretty much impossible to not expose a child to American accents, unless they are a complete shut-in anyway.

I've discovered that the exposure to the local accent, and to mine, has given my daughter an interesting, almost Canadian/UP Michigan accent because my inflections have made her more rhotic than the locals tend to be. Sometimes she sounds English as well, though. That's just from normal day to day talking with us at home, her daycare teachers and her wee friends.

Sadly, she has picked up a bit of Wisconsin 'whine' from somewhere as well
I like the Wisconsin/Minnesoda accent! It's perky like Zydeco!
Old Apr 16th 2013, 7:05 pm
Sursum corda

Originally Posted by MostlyYank

Pete
Pfft, I've been here in Ga for 20 years and I am sure the natives would laugh themselves silly if I said y'all.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 7:05 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MostlyYank

Pete
Now, I'll admit I've been guilty of giving you Yanks a hard time over your speech (in jest and in the spirit of fun, mostly) but I really can't stand that particular one

I like the Wisconsin/Minnesoda accent! It's perky like Zydeco!
It's fine until it gets too nasal. But I dislike nasal speech in any accent.

I'll take a Wisconsin accent over a Chicago one any day though.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 7:28 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Pfft, I've been here in Ga for 20 years and I am sure the natives would laugh themselves silly if I said y'all.
I use "y'all", it's just too useful a word not to, .... it's just that it comes out in a muted Sheffield/ south Yorkshire accent!
Old Apr 16th 2013, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

We hear "y'all" quite a lot down here in Cayman, and use it from time to time ourselves. It's a useful word. "All y'all", not so much. A friend of mine in North Carolina told me once that the locals there use "you-uns" as the plural form.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 7:54 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
We hear "y'all" quite a lot down here in Cayman, and use it from time to time ourselves. It's a useful word. "All y'all", not so much. A friend of mine in North Carolina told me once that the locals there use "you-uns" as the plural form.
Sounds like your friend might be a transplant from Pennsylvania, or perhaps his parents are. A colleague from PA, now hear in NC, introduced me to."you-uns", and told me that it ubiquitous in western Pennsylvania (and perhaps other areas?). In more than 10 years I've been living in NC, he is the only person I've heard use it.
Old Apr 16th 2013, 7:56 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

So she did. So if her "Chinese-American" husband is not speaking American the child may pick up a Chinese accent?

My stepson, who immigrated at age 2-1/2 after he had been speaking his native language for a bit, has long since spoken perfect 'American' and sometimes frustrates his mother when he corrects her non-American pronunciation.

In an attempt to keep him bilingual she usually speaks to him in their native language. He can understand what she's saying, but he can reply only in English.

Regards, JEff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.