B2 Visa-Update With Question

Old May 20th 2012, 7:19 pm
glo
Just Joined

glo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default B2 Visa-Update With Question

Hello Again

I posted before about getting a B2 visa with a U.K conviction of driving without insurance. The majority of comments related to not being able to prove strong ties back to the U.K.

Just to state again. I am looking to travel to America for the purpose of tourism from June-December. I applied for the B2 for two reasons 1. Because it's longer than the 90 days on the ESTA 2. Because I believed if one had any conviction,cautions etc they were not eligible for the ESTA (I now know this not to be the case).

My updated circumstances are the following:

1. I have a full time job to come back to in January 2013. I have evidence of this by way of a letter from my employer stating that it is there full intention to employ me and that I will be starting work with them in January 2013.

2. I have a post-graduate course to come back to starting in September 2013. Again I have confirmed evidence of this from the university in the United Kingdom from which I will be studying at.

3. I have bank account statements totalling my funds for my travel to America to be over £3500.

4. I have a planned itinary of the destinations and places I would like to visit along with how I am going to get to them.

5. I have a letter from my local hospital where my Grandad is who is currently very ill. Should anything untoward happen to him further I would return to the United Kingdom to see him.

6. I have a letter from the family friend who is providing free accommodation for one week for the first part of my trip. He lives in America of course.

Given the totality of this evidence is it likely that the B2 visa will be approved?

I've noticed that the majority of comments appear to be negative regarding such questions. The B2 visa is specifically, in part, designed for those who wish to be a tourist longer than the 90 days given by the ESTA. America is a huge place and thus easily merits 6 months worth of tourism.

Once again, given the totality of the evidence given, in your opinions, is it likely that the B2 visa would be approved?
Old May 20th 2012, 7:32 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: B2 Visa-Update With Question

Originally Posted by glo
I've noticed that the majority of comments appear to be negative regarding such questions. The B2 visa is specifically, in part, designed for those who wish to be a tourist longer than the 90 days given by the ESTA. America is a huge place and thus easily merits 6 months worth of tourism.

?
of course you are thinking as a Brit ...not an American
the average american get 2 weeks vacation a year if they are really lucky
most american do not have the luxury of extended vacation ...
my wife was fired once for wanting 3 weeks vacation all at once

its difficult for them to see how anybody could get a 90 day vacation let alone 6 months....

go for it at your own risk
Old May 20th 2012, 7:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

JSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of light

The reason most people here are negative about the B2 is because the vast majority of B2 cases that people post about are denied. I'm afraid I don't know how likely it is that you will get approved. Nobody here knows really, other than to report that lots get denied. If you do go for it, it would be very helpful for others if you could come back and let us know how you got on (especially if it gets approved).
Old May 20th 2012, 7:46 pm
glo
Just Joined

To Ray:

Your comments are fascicle. I can't remember exactly where I read but I do remember reading that all interviewees will be treated equally, with out regard to nationality. In relation to your statement, with out regard to me being an American or British citizen. Further, your argument runs along the lines of taking a vacation from a job. I am not taking a vacation from a job. I finish university in around 3 weeks. Therefore I have 6 months free until my full time job starts in January as stated.

JSL8610: I see your point. It seems the case that actually most people don't get denied. The legal stipulation being that the maximum number of refusals can only be 3%. It makes sense that those who are successful would'nt post because they have no need to, they have their visa, where as those who aren't successful will search for answers, pre-dominantly through posting on sites such as this
Old May 20th 2012, 7:54 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glo
The legal stipulation being that the maximum number of refusals can only be 3%. \
where did you get that nonsense fact
Old May 20th 2012, 7:55 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glo
Once again, given the totality of the evidence given, in your opinions, is it likely that the B2 visa would be approved?
In my layman's opinion, and from what I've seen posted on this forum over the past 9 years, unlikely.

Of course you can try, as long as you realize if the B-2 is denied, you then have to declare the denial on future ESTA applications, and if you apply for ESTA within 6 months or so of the B-2 denial, the ESTA will also be denied. So as long as you are aware that if the B-2 is denied, you probably won't be going to the USA for the next 6 - 12 months, you can give it a try.

Rene
Old May 20th 2012, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

JSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by glo
JSL8610: I see your point. It seems the case that actually most people don't get denied. The legal stipulation being that the maximum number of refusals can only be 3%.
Are you sure about this? Could you provide a link? I've never heard this and it doesn't make sense to me. I think for the UK the adjusted refusal rate is around 25-30%. The still means the majority are successful, but that's for all B visas. Personal circumstance is vitally important. I would guess the refusal rate for those of working age wanting to vacation for 6 months is much higher. Now, since you applied (partly) because you thought you were ineligible for the VWP, your chances might improve a little.

Originally Posted by glo
It makes sense that those who are successful would'nt post because they have no need to, they have their visa, where as those who aren't successful will search for answers, pre-dominantly through posting on sites such as this
This is true. That's why we encourage people to post follow ups as much as possible, whatever the outcome.

James
Old May 20th 2012, 8:01 pm
glo
Just Joined

"The criteria stress passport security and a very low nonimmigrant visa refusal rate: not more than 3% as specified in Section 217 (c)(2)(A) of the Immigration and Nationality Act, as well as ongoing compliance with the immigration law of the United States."

Noorah: Yes, you've seen a lot of denials because of the previous reasons stated. Those who are accepted wouldn't post, because they got accepted. Those who are rejected will seek out reasons as to why they were rejected.

Also, if I apply for ESTA within 6-12 months, if my B2 gets denied, it does not automatically mean my ESTA will get denied, it is however quite likely, but not a solid "No you will not get the esta"
Old May 20th 2012, 8:12 pm
Ray

214 relates to the visa waiver
Old May 20th 2012, 8:13 pm
glo
Just Joined

Good thing it was section 217 then.

Alas, back to my original question, thoughts bearing in mind my circumstances?
Old May 20th 2012, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

The subsection you quoted covers how a country may become a VWP Program Country (i.e. citizens of that country may become eligible for the VWP). While a low non-immigrant visa refusal rate is indeed a part of the requirement, that says nothing about how many B2 visas can legally be denied.

With regard to your circumstances, nobody here can say whether you'll be approved or not. The best we can say is "maybe, but most people in your situation are denied".

James
Old May 20th 2012, 8:23 pm
glo
Just Joined

James: You're indeed right. It doesn't specifically refer to how many B2 visas, but instead the totality of non-immigrant visas. A refusal rate of 3% therefoe provides me with hope. I do understand though that reasonably it could be a 100% denial of B2-visas but a 100% approval of B1 visas, as an example of course.

Thank you for your comment regarding my circumstances . I think the evidence I'm providing shows strong ties. Aside from having a mortgage there's nothing more I can show.
Old May 20th 2012, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

You can find the adjusted B visa refusal rate for each country. For GBR over the last three years the refusal rates were 27.3%, 25.5% and 27.8%.

Of course, that still doesn't tell us anything about your chances of success. It would be great if you could come back and let us know how you get on.

James
Old May 20th 2012, 8:50 pm
glo
Just Joined

I saw those statistics and thanks for posting them again. I'm confused though. I think my maths is wrong is stating then that roughly 75% of b2 visas are approved, but if we assume it's right, why is everyone on this forum so incredibly negative about people getting the visa's?
Old May 20th 2012, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Be careful extrapolating those numbers too much. That's for all B visas. People here are negative about the B2 for people of working age who are eligible for the VWP. That's because the vast majority of those specific cases we hear about are denied.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.