B2 Visa-Update With Question

Old May 20th 2012, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

JSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: B2 Visa-Update With Question

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Your initial assumption is incorrect. The primary purpose of the B2 visa is NOT so you can spend longer in the US. The B2 visa primarily exists for those who are not eligible for the VWP.

Originally Posted by JSL8610
Ah, an excellent point. Well said, Sir.
I was originally being sarcastic, but I see my response holds true for your completed post too.

Last edited by JSL8610; May 20th 2012 at 9:53 pm.
Old May 20th 2012, 9:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

English Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glo
Eccles: Although your point is partially true, there is the other side to it. That being that it does allow for tourism. To add credence to this notion of it being for tourism there is also the option to extend it for a further 6 months for the purpose of tourism. So yes, you're partially correct, but the B2 is also for those who do genuinely want to go for tourist purposes.
Yes, but the B2 visa is predominantly a tourist visa for people not eligible to use the VWP. You are.
Old May 20th 2012, 9:55 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glo
Material: Well I put my leaving date as June. Three months, 90 days, from that point would be September/October. However, I put December on the DS-160. Why would have I put December if I was solely applying for the B2 on the basis that I thought I was inelgible for the vwp? There would have to be a different reason for me applying.
You are assuming waaaaay too much. The address and travel dates you provide on the DS-160 are just estimates.

Don't forget that your very first post in this forum said that you applied for the visa because you'd understood the guidance to mean that any arrest or conviction made you ineligible for the VWP. The website of the US Embassy in London actually states that.

You didn't apply for the visa because you wanted a six month trip. If they ask you about the dates on the DS-160, think of a good excuse.
Old May 20th 2012, 9:56 pm
glo
Just Joined

glo is an unknown quantity at this point

Ian: As I stated earlier, I agree with the points you make ( in the sense that another person posted the same basis for the argument you present). It is plausible for me to walk away from both. The only evidence I can provide to the contrary is that I have the job contract (albeit not the actual contract but a statement from the company to that effect) and letters from professionals stating that my career choice is that of academia, hence the post-graduate course is neccessary. Plausibly through the CO could think that in the next year I might have a huge change of life choice and thus not go back.

You're again right in your second point. The CO is not obliged. However, obliged, dependant on the definition, does not mean I can be stopped from showing my evidence.

As such, I am well within my rights at any point to produce documentation as evidence of my reasons for the B2 visa. And the CO is well within his rights to ask me to put them away and he does not want to see them. There is however nothing saying that I should, that I am obliged not to, put these documents forward.
Old May 20th 2012, 10:00 pm
glo
Just Joined

EnglishMuffin: Yes, I know I am. But originally, because of the advice given on the embassy website, I thought I wasn't eligible. I now realise I was mistaken.

Material: Better to over-assume than not. Imagine if you were the CO officer. What would you accept as an excuse as to why I put those dates?
Old May 20th 2012, 10:01 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glo
Ian: As I stated earlier, I agree with the points you make ( in the sense that another person posted the same basis for the argument you present). It is plausible for me to walk away from both. The only evidence I can provide to the contrary is that I have the job contract (albeit not the actual contract but a statement from the company to that effect) and letters from professionals stating that my career choice is that of academia, hence the post-graduate course is neccessary. Plausibly through the CO could think that in the next year I might have a huge change of life choice and thus not go back.

You're again right in your second point. The CO is not obliged. However, obliged, dependant on the definition, does not mean I can be stopped from showing my evidence.

As such, I am well within my rights at any point to produce documentation as evidence of my reasons for the B2 visa. And the CO is well within his rights to ask me to put them away and he does not want to see them. There is however nothing saying that I should, that I am obliged not to, put these documents forward.
glo, I've got a B visa because I have numerous criminal offences. And I was told very firmly in my interview that none of my documentary evidence was required. The con-off just wasn't interested in it.
Old May 20th 2012, 10:07 pm
glo
Just Joined

Material: It seems we've reached an impasse. Thank you for your responses though
Old May 20th 2012, 10:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

JSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by glo
Material: It seems we've reached an impasse. Thank you for your responses though
I think we've been at one for a while. You have all the evidence you can get so all that's left to do is go for it as best you can. I'm afraid we can't really advise you on your chance of success.

Good luck, and please do let us know how it goes.

James
Old May 20th 2012, 10:17 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by glo
Well OK. But one last thing. You mentioned an excuse as to why you needed longer than 90 days (and therefore a justification for the dates on the DS-160).

You mentioned earlier that there are academics and institutions you would like to visit. Well put together an itinerary, including specific dates and travel plans, for these seminars and use that as a basis. Emphasise that far more than the tourism side of things and show how it relates to your course back in the UK.

Lastly a bit of advice about the interview. You will be on your own so make sure you prepare and rehearse the best case possible before going in there. You need to be adaptable and able to think on your feet if the con-off throws you a curveball. It's quite easy to dig yourself into a hole, but there's nobody else in there to help dig you out of it if things go tits up.

Very best of luck.
Old May 20th 2012, 10:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glo

3. I have bank account statements totalling my funds for my travel to America to be over £3500.
To last six months??...maybe 2 months at most .. would last me about 2 weeks
Old May 20th 2012, 11:19 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glo
Quite frankly 90 days is inadequate. As I'm sure you're aware the U.S is massive and I would love to see all the constiuent parts. 5/6 months is the amount of time to get see everything.

As I've said. I finish university soon. I have 6 months to explore the world. I would love to explore every aspect of the U.S that the country has to offer.
Quite frankly, 5/6 months is inadequate.
Old May 20th 2012, 11:58 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glo
I am well within my rights at any point...
I'm going to step away from this thread now... but just so you fully understand: you are not a US citizen, you are not currently on US soil, and you are seeking a US immigration benefit from a US officer. What makes you think you have any rights with respect to US immigration?

Ian
Old May 21st 2012, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glo
Quite frankly 90 days is inadequate. As I'm sure you're aware the U.S is massive and I would love to see all the constiuent parts. 5/6 months is the amount of time to get see everything.
In that case your best bet is obviously to explain to the CO at your visa interview that the reason why you must be given a B2 visa is because the VIsa Waiver Program is clearly inadequate for your needs.

Good luck with that one ...
Old May 21st 2012, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

Hillsforest. is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by glo
Hillforest: Why would being rich make one more eligible?

Englishmuffin: What more evidence do you think I could provide?

Material: I'm not jollying around. I have specific areas and tourist destinations that I am incredibly interested in visiting. Further, there are various academics in the U.S, working specifically with the science of consciousness, that I would love to visit and talk to. These various academic departments are also hosting talks while, b2 visa permitted of course, I'm there.

As I've said. I finish university soon. I have 6 months to explore the world. I would love to explore every aspect of the U.S that the country has to offer.
going by the guidelines it wouldn't but if you had a load of cash in the bank, my assumption would be that you would have significant business interests and a house/investments in the UK that would provide good ties to the UK at the very least.

good luck anyway, when is your interview?
Old May 22nd 2012, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

helpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
glo, I've got a B visa because I have numerous criminal offences. And I was told very firmly in my interview that none of my documentary evidence was required. The con-off just wasn't interested in it.
Agreed. The outcome will be based mainly on your answers to their questions and much less so on the documents you bring, so really think about the answers you're going to give to all possible questions. Be prepared for them to not look at any of your "evidence" at all.

Another thing, you mentioned in a post you're not a UK citizen.. where are you from and how long have you been in the UK? I believe this may be another sticking point for the con off...it is best to apply in the country in which you have the strongest ties which seems to be here at the moment but if you have a history of emigrating to new countries, why not the US.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.