B2 Visa-Update With Question

Old May 20th 2012, 9:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

English Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: B2 Visa-Update With Question

Originally Posted by glo
Englishmuffin: What more evidence do you think I could provide?
Home ownership, a job (a job offer is not the same), a wife and children awaiting your return...those kinds of things are 'strong' ties to the UK.

The CO will be looking for strong ties, not just ties.
Old May 20th 2012, 9:29 pm
glo
Just Joined

glo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JSL8610
I know it's obvious to you that you plan on returning to the UK. However, it is the job of the CO essentially to keep people out of the US. He will need very convincing evidence that you will return. Barring the highly unlikely event of your interviewing CO replying to this thread, nobody can tell you whether the evidence you have will satisfy him.

For instance, a job starting in Jan 2013 sounds good. Then he sees that you're starting a PG course 8 months later. He will think that you can't be very serious about that job if you already have plans to leave.

Alright, you say, but what about my course then? What detriment will it be to you if you simply don't show up? You can drop out of these things long before you lose any money. You see, while it's obvious to you that you plan on coming back for these things, they're also things that somebody who had no intention of returning could easily set up and later cancel / not show up.

I'm not saying that you plan to do that - I don't think you do. Convincing the CO though may well be very difficult.

James
I again see your point. My employer knows that I am intending to leave for the post-graduate course and has stated this on the letter that has been written for the embassy as my evidence.

Agreed with your second point though. And that does present a problem.The only reply I have to this is the letters from my academic tutors and lecturers stating that we have discussed in depth my intention of my career being along the lines of academia. To pursuit such a career I would HAVE to have a post graduate course. This I concede though only provides a small rebuttal to the argument of your second point of dropping out etc.
Old May 20th 2012, 9:32 pm
glo
Just Joined

EnglishMuffin: A wife and children won't be happening any time soon. And I should clarify, the letter regarding my job is a statement from my employer that I will be joining them as of January 2013. It's not a job offer as such. My employer, future employer, was not legally allowed to disclose the contract and thus has drafted the letter stating that I am joining them for the purpose of work in January 2013.
Old May 20th 2012, 9:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

JSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
That is correct, but with a caveat. Those published figures do not include those applicants with CIMTs/overstays/other inadmissibilities who required a waiver of ineligibility.

I believe the published figures only refer to people who were eligible for the VWP and subsequently applied for a B visa. People with multiple CIMT's for example won't have their cases included in the figures because they were never eligible for the VWP in the first place.
Ah, I thought those rates were simply for anybody who had applied for a B visa. The published adjusted rate then removed those who had successfully acquired a waiver of ineligibility after their B visa was denied (e.g. for those with CIMT) to give the adjusted refusal rate.

However, it's late and I don't feel like researching it fully so I will bow to your superior knowledge (... for now )

James

EDIT: Googled it anyway - you're quite right. Thanks!

Last edited by JSL8610; May 20th 2012 at 9:41 pm.
Old May 20th 2012, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

English Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glo
EnglishMuffin: A wife and children won't be happening any time soon. And I should clarify, the letter regarding my job is a statement from my employer that I will be joining them as of January 2013. It's not a job offer as such. My employer, future employer, was not legally allowed to disclose the contract and thus has drafted the letter stating that I am joining them for the purpose of work in January 2013.
But this is not the same as working for a company for X amount years and having a short sabbatical before returning.
Old May 20th 2012, 9:34 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glo
Hillforest: Why would being rich make one more eligible?

Englishmuffin: What more evidence do you think I could provide?

Material: I'm not jollying around. I have specific areas and tourist destinations that I am incredibly interested in visiting. Further, there are various academics in the U.S, working specifically with the science of consciousness, that I would love to visit and talk to. These various academic departments are also hosting talks while, b2 visa permitted of course, I'm there.

Quite frankly 90 days is inadequate. As I'm sure you're aware the U.S is massive and I would love to see all the constiuent parts. 5/6 months is the amount of time to get see everything.

As I've said. I finish university soon. I have 6 months to explore the world. I would love to explore every aspect of the U.S that the country has to offer.
Well you can do all of those things - if you get the visa that is.

You need to be thinking about the best way to achieve that. It's a bit like passing a driving test. You don't learn to drive, you learn to pass the test. A visa application can be thought of the same way. You have to tailor your approach to ensure the best chance of success.

Now you may well feel that the 90 day VWP is inadequate for what you want to do. But if you say that to the con-off in your visa interview I can almost certainly guarantee you'll be denied.

You don't want that to happen do you?

Which is why I suggested you try the other approach. But it's your call.
Old May 20th 2012, 9:40 pm
glo
Just Joined

EnglishMuffin: I see your point. And a good one it is. Hopefully the evidence I've provided will be enough to persuade though.We shall see

Material: I would go along with what you've said, however, I'm pretty sure on the DS-160 I put my intended leaving date at some point in Decemeber, which would be inconsistent with me telling the CO that I thought I had to apply for the B2 because of being ineligble for the vwp( which I now realise is not the case but I've already applied for the b2)
Old May 20th 2012, 9:41 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glo
EnglishMuffin: I see your point. And a good one it is. Hopefully the evidence I've provided will be enough to persuade though.We shall see

Material: I would go along with what you've said, however, I'm pretty sure on the DS-160 I put my intended leaving date at some point in Decemeber, which would be inconsistent with me telling the CO that I thought I had to apply for the B2 because of being ineligble for the vwp( which I now realise is not the case but I've already applied for the b2)
Why would it be inconsistent?
Old May 20th 2012, 9:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

I wish you the very best of luck glo.
Old May 20th 2012, 9:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Your initial assumption is incorrect. The primary purpose of the B2 visa is NOT so you can spend longer in the US. The B2 visa primarily exists for those who are not eligible for the VWP.

Last edited by sir_eccles; May 20th 2012 at 9:46 pm.
Old May 20th 2012, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

JSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
You
Ah, an excellent point. Well said, Sir.
Old May 20th 2012, 9:45 pm
glo
Just Joined

Material: Well I put my leaving date as June. Three months, 90 days, from that point would be September/October. However, I put December on the DS-160. Why would have I put December if I was solely applying for the B2 on the basis that I thought I was inelgible for the vwp? There would have to be a different reason for me applying.
Old May 20th 2012, 9:50 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glo
I think the evidence I'm providing shows strong ties.

You have a job starting in January next year and school starting September next year. It is so incredibly easy to walk away from (or not show up) for both, there’s no reason the officer should believe you. IOW, none of it demonstrates that you must return to the UK.

Me, personally... I believe you! However, I’m not the officer making the decision whether or not to approve the visa.

Here’s something else to consider… the officer isn’t obligated to let you show any documentation; nor is he obligated to even let you say anything in your defense should things start going badly for you.

Anyway... good luck to you!

Ian
Old May 20th 2012, 9:50 pm
glo
Just Joined

Eccles: Although your point is partially true, there is the other side to it. That being that it does allow for tourism. To add credence to this notion of it being for tourism there is also the option to extend it for a further 6 months for the purpose of tourism. So yes, you're partially correct, but the B2 is also for those who do genuinely want to go for tourist purposes.
Old May 20th 2012, 9:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JSL8610
Ah, an excellent point. Well said, Sir.
Thanks still getting used to typing on my kindle fire.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.