Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

B2 Visa - No Strong UK Ties - HELP PLEASE

B2 Visa - No Strong UK Ties - HELP PLEASE

Old Feb 18th 2013, 2:19 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: B2 Visa - No Strong UK Ties - HELP PLEASE

Originally Posted by RyanEdwards4
Should get a Invitation letter from all my family & friends that I intend to visit?
I don't think that's necessary, unless they are providing financial help to you while you're in the USA that long.

What out side the box reasons do people use to prove they won't stay beyond my allotted time in the USA, if they, like me dont have a guaranteed job when they arrive home?
It totally depends on each person's own individual life. What one person might have, might not be something you have. The most common things to show are a job you must return to, school you must return to, or a spouse (and maybe child) you're leaving behind. Proof of enough funds to cover your entire stay in the USA is a must.

Buy a dated return ticket before I get my visa approved?
I suggest not purchasing a ticket until you get the visa in hand. You can show an itinerary at the interview. Or, you can go ahead and purchase the ticket if you don't mind paying a change fee if you don't get the visa.

Rene
Old Feb 18th 2013, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

redlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to behold

Thank you very much Noorah101, Boiler, sir_eccles, redlobster & md95065.

I'll make a detailled itinerary.

Should get a Invitation letter from all my family & friends that I intend to visit?

What out side the box reasons do people use to prove they won't stay beyond my allotted time in the USA, if they, like me dont have a guaranteed job when they arrive home?

Hi redlobster - Buy a dated return ticket before I get my visa approved?
You can show an itinerary as that shows what you plan on the visit. Show fun things, not to much family things, play that down. Crazy I know, but its how it is.
Do you have any dentist, Dr, Consultant, Course,s Work commitments due AFTER the holiday, if so take the info with you to interview.

One big question they will ask you is why a B visa when you could have done this on VW. You need to have a darn good reason why .

As for return ticket I can see you shouldn't buy this prior to the trip, but it also would show your commitment to the trip and your intention to return. A tough call and expensive.
If I where a gambler I would give it 50/50 depending on your answers at interview.
Play UP the family ties in the UK, and play DOWN the US side.
Also just a though, prove that you are taking just enough money to support you on this trip and nothing more.
that once this amazing adventure seeing America and friends is over you will
be looking forward to getting back to work and family. If there are any 50th/60th, silver/or golden wedding due mention the party,s

Good Luck.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

RyanEdwards4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks

As my chances sounded low, I called the London Embassy, cancelled my B2 interview - which they said was fine and didn't mean a visa denial as I had not had my interview yet and I'm know applying for the VWP. So its all good

When I do return to the UK I'll apply for a B2 straight away so next time I can stay longer if I wish, without any set plans or deadline it will be fine if I get denied then as I can just reply for B2 or VWP. At the moment I dont want to risk not being able to go for another month or whatever so going for VWP.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

F1toOPTtoH1BHopefully has a spectacular aura aboutF1toOPTtoH1BHopefully has a spectacular aura aboutF1toOPTtoH1BHopefully has a spectacular aura about

You know that the embassy staff are allowed to lie to you? Right?
Old Feb 18th 2013, 8:33 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by F1toOPTtoH1BHopefully
Not only that but the muppets who work in the call centre in Scotland have absolutely no idea about the intricacies of US immigration. Their "advice" should not be relied upon.
Old Feb 18th 2013, 8:40 pm
Just Joined

RyanEdwards4 is an unknown quantity at this point

I spoke to 2 people about so its all good - just very different to the advice I was given on here....
Old Feb 18th 2013, 8:46 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I spoke to 2 people about so its all good - just very different to the advice I was given on here....
.... and that should be a red flag for you.

Rene
Old Feb 18th 2013, 9:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
Not only that but the muppets who work in the call centre in Scotland have absolutely no idea about the intricacies of US immigration. Their "advice" should not be relied upon.
Good luck, keep us informed of how it all goes!
Old Feb 18th 2013, 11:37 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I called the London Embassy, cancelled my B2 interview...
Oh dear! Well... it's done now, so good luck to you!

I spoke to 2 people about so its all good - just very different to the advice I was given on here...
You likely spoke to people at the call center in Scotland. They are 3rd party contractors who read from a script and don't actually know the rules and regulations. They told you what you wanted to hear... whether it was correct or not. I can guarantee you, that none of them have ever been through the immigration process!

Ian
Old Feb 19th 2013, 7:56 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

They won't lie. No reason to. They may provide incorrect or misleading information, due to misunderstanding or miscommunication, but they won't lie.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by F1toOPTtoH1BHopefully
Old Feb 19th 2013, 8:23 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm coming to the thread late, but for your future benefit or the benefit of others who are contemplating a longer visit than the VWP allows, I'd like to emphasize a two points.
- Have a detailed itinerary, and have a reasonable time estimate for your visit that is consistent with it. In your case, planning to visit numerous family and friends, I believe that letters from those people could be beneficial as long as the information they provide is consistent. Don't leave extensive time gaps unexplained, don't be visiting multiple people in different locations at the same time.
- Be able to demonstrate that you can afford your trip. Going back to the people you will be visiting, their statements should clearly include whatever financial benefits they will be providing while you are visiting. Meals or housing, for example, so that the consular officer will not expect that you'll be paying for restaurants and hotels if you are not.

Regards, JEff

As my chances sounded low, I called the London Embassy, cancelled my B2 interview ...