Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

B2 Visa - No Strong UK Ties - HELP PLEASE

B2 Visa - No Strong UK Ties - HELP PLEASE

Old Feb 17th 2013, 10:03 am
Just Joined

RyanEdwards4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default B2 Visa - No Strong UK Ties - HELP PLEASE

Hi All, I would really appreciate some advice if you have the time,

About & Visit to US
Im 21 from the UK. Planning to visit Family & Friends in the US.(Aunt & Uncle, 2 x cousins & 2 x second cousins)

I have applied for a B2 Visa
Because I'm planning to stay with family for a month or so then travel all the way up the West coast then into Canada visiting friends along the way, this trip will most likely take longer than 90 days. My visa appointment is this Friday. I have been to the US 6 times before on family holidays.

I'm now panicing and feel sick because I think I've made a huge mistake, I dont think I have strong enough ties in the UK.

Ties:
Work
I have been working for the BBC as a camera assistant on about 4 short term 3 week contracts since last april. Doing work experience in the time between. I haven't asked but I highly doubt they can provide me a letter saying about future work as a tie because its all freelance style work with no guarantees of future work.

Property
None, I live at home with my parents. My Car is under my mums name.

Family
Both parents, a sister and a twin brother - I'm close with all. My parents own 2 proprieties if that helps?

What to do?
I've been planning this trip for months, now at the final hurdle it looks like I've completely ruined my chances.

If I cancel my visa appointment this friday then my visa gets denied?
Then I can't apply for the VWP? Should I postpone my appointment?

Should I call the embassy in london tomorrow and explain my mistake and see if it can change from B-2 to the VWP?

Is there anything I can do?

---

Thank you so much in advance,
Ryan

Last edited by RyanEdwards4; Feb 17th 2013 at 10:10 am.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: B2 Visa - No Strong UK Ties - HELP PLEASE

Based on what we see on this board, standard policy seems to be to deny B2 visas to applicants who are VWP-eligible, except in particular circumstances (e.g. retired folks, applicants with criminal convictions). Based on what you have written, I'd say it's unlikely that you'll be granted the visa - but you may be lucky. If denied, try applying for a new ESTA. If it comes back as not authorised, then the usual suggestion is to try again in 6 months. Good luck.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 10:24 am
Just Joined

Thank you for that Marocco,

Would it be possible to call the embassy in london tomorrow and explain my mistake in applying for a B2 and see if I can change to the VWP?

Are there any other Ties I could use?
Could I say all my networking and professional relationships are here in the UK?

Thank you in advance, I'm really panicing about this...
Old Feb 17th 2013, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RyanEdwards4
Would it be possible to call the embassy in london tomorrow and explain my mistake in applying for a B2 and see if I can change to the VWP?
Unfortunately, you can't. Once an application for a visa is made, it's automatically logged as denied, unless approved within 24 hours. So right now you have a denied visa. If your application is eventually approved, this will no longer be the case. Your best bet is to attend the interview and hope that the ConOff will be sympathetic.

Are there any other Ties I could use?
Could I say all my networking and professional relationships are here in the UK?
I don't think those would count as strong ties.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 10:40 am
Just Joined

Thanks again Marocco.

If anyone else has any advice or links to resources, it would be fantastic to hear from you.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 12:34 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

If I cancel my visa appointment this friday then my visa gets denied?
As Marocco noted, there are only two possible outcomes from a visa application: approved or denied. There is nothing in between. Anything that isn't an approval, is a denial - including, unfortunately, your being eligible to travel on the VWP. There is nothing you can do now except go to the interview and hope for the best.

Then I can't apply for the VWP?
If the visa is denied, you must reapply for ESTA and declare the visa denial. This, in turn, will cause ESTA to be denied from between 6-12 months.

Should I postpone my appointment?
No, because it will only delay what will likely come to pass.

Should I call the embassy in london tomorrow and explain my mistake and see if it can change from B-2 to the VWP?
No. Sadly, wanting to stay in the US for more than 90 days is not usually a sufficient reason. There is nothing you can do to change the situation at this point in time. Go to the interview.

Is there anything I can do?
Yes, but you're going to have a busy week. You must try to demonstrate that you actually do need more than 90 days for your trip. That means you'll need to create a detailed itinerary of your travel... day by day (and perhaps hour by hour) for as long as you plan to be in the US. By detailed, I mean it's got to be more than "visiting with Uncle Fred for 2 days". The more detailed you can be, the better your chances.

Ian
Old Feb 17th 2013, 1:23 pm
Just Joined

Thank you ian-mstm.

Even if I made a detailed itinerary of my travel. I guess my UK Ties wouldn't be enough?

What would happen if I went to the interview explain my mistake upfront and that I didn't research the B2 visa enough and I should have applied for the VWP?

I just applied because I knew you couldn't get a visa in the US and thought it would be nice if I could stay longer if I needed to. Even if I get the B2 I doubt I'd stay more than 4 months anyway as I want to be in the UK in late summer.

I can't believe I've done this.

How do people on gap years get B2 visas - they can't have really detailed plans or many UK Ties?

Is there any hope!?
Old Feb 17th 2013, 1:36 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Even if I made a detailed itinerary of my travel. I guess my UK Ties wouldn't be enough?
Probably not, but that's not always what the ConOff takes into consideration. Instead of thinking of it as "ties to the UK", think of it as "what can I do to prove I won't stay beyond my allotted time in the USA, and what can I do to prove I won't work illegally there?"

As Ian said, create a very detailed itinerary of your whole trip, which shows clearly why 90 days was not enough to do what you have planned. List where you'll be visiting, how long you'll be staying in each place, where you plan to stay in each place, what you plan to see there, show that you've looked into domestic flights in the USA to get from point A to point B (you don't have to buy a ticket, just show you've done your research). Show which hotels you've chosen to stay at in each location (if not with family). What touristy sights you'll see there.

Be prepared to show you have more than enough funds to cover your entire trip (this will help show you won't be working illegally in the USA to fund your trip as you go along).

What would happen if I went to the interview explain my mistake upfront and that I didn't research the B2 visa enough and I should have applied for the VWP?
Your B2 would be denied and you'll have to re-do ESTA, which will cause an ESTA denial for some time after the B2 denial.

I just applied because I knew you couldn't get a visa in the US and thought it would be nice if I could stay longer if I needed to. Even if I get the B2 I doubt I'd stay more than 4 months anyway as I want to be in the UK in late summer.
OK, so 4 months is still longer than 90 days, so you must have had a plan for the 4 months you want to be there, right? Get that itinerary going.

How do people on gap years get B2 visas - they can't have really detailed plans or many UK Ties?
They probably don't. They make VWP trips. If the gap is 1 year long, they might be able to do 2 VWP trips within the year, if they are lucky.

Rene
Old Feb 17th 2013, 3:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Gap year, Australia, not the US.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 3:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Strictly speaking if you have not paid the fee yet you can do nothing and the application will lapse, neither approved or denied.

However, if you have an interview appointment I assume you've paid it already.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

redlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to beholdredlobster is a splendid one to behold

Ok, so you say you have to ties !.

Do you have a phone contract ? That is a contractual tie and will show on your bank statement.

Re your work, show past contracts to date, you dont need to show future.
Just as long as you can show there has been consistent work { hopefully }

Don't push that you are visiting US FAMILY . In fact play down staying with family.

Re living with parents. That can be a positive not a negative. You say you have been working short term contracts since last April, is that because you where at Uni, or collage ? If so I'm sure you have student debts and can prove this .

Re "your car " When you say its in your mums name is she the registered owner ? or do you share the car ?? and you are on as additional driver

Do not ring the Embassy . Do not put words in there mouth. Wait for the questions to be asked and answer them . Don't give any other info unless asked.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, and asking for a B visa at your age was unnecessary

Also Ian,s advice about an itinerary is spot on and can be very beneficial.
A DATED return ticket is also a must

Last edited by redlobster; Feb 17th 2013 at 4:28 pm. Reason: Wanted to add something
Old Feb 17th 2013, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
he visa denial. This, in turn, will cause ESTA to be denied from between 6-12 months.
While it certainly appears to be quiet normal for ESTA to be denied if applied for immediately following a visa denial I am not sure that this is invariably the case.

I thought that I remembered a thread where someone in a similar situation had ESTA approved only a few weeks after their visa denial. Unfortunately I can't find that thread and, of course, have no way of knowing how accurate the information in it was.
Old Feb 17th 2013, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

Thank you very much Noorah101, Boiler, sir_eccles, redlobster & md95065.

I'll make a detailled itinerary.

Should get a Invitation letter from all my family & friends that I intend to visit?

What out side the box reasons do people use to prove they won't stay beyond my allotted time in the USA, if they, like me dont have a guaranteed job when they arrive home?

Hi redlobster - Buy a dated return ticket before I get my visa approved?
Old Feb 17th 2013, 4:58 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
While it certainly appears to be quiet normal for ESTA to be denied if applied for immediately following a visa denial I am not sure that this is invariably the case.
True, every now and again a person gets lucky. The vast majority, however, are unsuccessful for what seems to be an extended period of time... so, as advice, it remains valid.

Ian
Old Feb 17th 2013, 5:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

How do people on gap years get B2 visas
They don't. They either use the VWP and comply, use the VWP and overstay or use another visa which will allow an extended stay, like a J-1 for camp America/work America programs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.