B2 Visa information required

Old Jan 24th 2019, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

topcat1972 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default B2 Visa information required

Dear All

I have a family member who is looking to get a B2 visa to visit her partner who will be on a working visa in the USA. I understand that this is only for a maximum of 6 months and she will need to show funds of at least £3,000 to support herself whilst staying. My question is, after the 6 months validity will she have to leave the country and if she wanted to return is there a period of time you have to stay out of the country before trying to return or are you able to extend or re-apply for a further B2 visa to stay an additional 6 months. They understand you are not allowed to work on a B2 but we are just trying to dot the i's and cross the t's before sorting out the application. Has anyone done this and what where the fees/timescales for applying for this visa. I have looked on various search engines but seem to get conflicting information.

TIA

Old Jan 24th 2019, 12:12 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: B2 Visa information required

If she applies as a "cohabiting domestic partner" she can stay pretty much on the same terms as the person she is cohabiting with, but on entry to the US she should be careful to ensure she is "stamped in" as a cohabiting domestic partner, not just a visitor with a maximum stay of six months. If she applies for a conventional visitor's B1/B2 then, assuming she is otherwise eligible for ESTA/VWP then she will probably be denied.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 24th 2019 at 12:40 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2019, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

topcat1972 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your response
Old Jan 24th 2019, 12:42 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

$15 a day?

Typo?
Old Jan 24th 2019, 12:44 pm
Banned

Jef65 is an unknown quantity at this point

I wouldn't apply for "cohabiting domestic partner" while still out of the country, I'd go with the B2 which can be extended when Inside the US. Failing to extend or apply for a different visa with in the time period will render the person illegal and banned for 5 years from returning. Good luck
Old Jan 24th 2019, 1:18 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jef65
I wouldn't apply for "cohabiting domestic partner" while still out of the country, I'd go with the B2 which can be extended when Inside the US. Failing to extend or apply for a different visa with in the time period will render the person illegal and banned for 5 years from returning. Good luck
It's bad advice to say "go directly for the B-2", because unless they were living together in the UK, a plain B-2 visa will most likely be denied. Assuming she is otherwise eligible for the VWP.

OP, were they living together in the UK? If so, then B-2 cohabitating visa is the way to go. If they were not living together in the UK, then she should travel on the VWP for 90 days at a time. Stay outside the USA longer than inside.

The problem with applying for a B-2 visa, unless they were cohabitating before, is that if the B-2 gets denied, the ESTA will also get denied for about 6 to 12 months after the B-2 denial. Which makes her ineligible to even visit the USA for around a year. So be very careful with this application.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Jan 24th 2019 at 2:25 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2019, 2:07 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

"Out of the country" is invariably the appropriate time to apply for a visa, as a visa is designed to facilitate entry to country. ….. In fact there is nowhere inside the US that you can obtain a visa, and even renewals require you to leave the US to visit a US embassy to get the actual visa.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 24th 2019 at 2:38 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2019, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

What kind of visa is her partner getting? How will she support herself during 6 months in the US. Getting married would be a better option.
Old Jan 25th 2019, 10:41 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

What a completely nonsensical first post.

They have no option but to apply for a B2 in this case if they wish to enter for more than the VWP validity.

You can't apply for a B2 from inside the US since a visa is a travel document which which you can apply for entry to a country.
Old Jan 25th 2019, 3:31 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
What a completely nonsensical first post.
Looks like he might have now left the building!