British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   B2 visa following ESTA overstay (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/b2-visa-following-esta-overstay-696592/)

Mav42 Dec 10th 2010 11:35 pm

B2 visa following ESTA overstay

Hi,

I overstayed on the VWP by 4 days in the summer.

If I apply for a B2 visa for 90 days, providing evidence of a return flight, a short travel itinerary for while I am there, evidence of who I am visiting and my connection with them (my girlfriend) and evidence of how I am to support myself (online work), is it likely that I will be approved?

Would you advise any other evidence, if not?

Thanks for any help.

Marocco Dec 11th 2010 12:40 am

Re: B2 visa following ESTA overstay

A B2 visa does not allow you to work - even online.

Mav42 Dec 11th 2010 12:42 am

Originally Posted by Marocco (Post 9034586)
A B2 visa does not allow you to work - even online.

This is an online job I already do for a UK based company.

Marocco Dec 11th 2010 12:45 am

Originally Posted by Mav42 (Post 9034591)
This is an online job I already do for a UK based company.

Irrelevant.

fatbrit Dec 11th 2010 12:50 am

Originally Posted by Mav42 (Post 9034514)
Hi,

I overstayed on the VWP by 4 days in the summer.

If I apply for a B2 visa for 90 days, providing evidence of a return flight, a short travel itinerary for while I am there, evidence of who I am visiting and my connection with them (my girlfriend) and evidence of how I am to support myself (online work), is it likely that I will be approved?

Would you advise any other evidence, if not?

Thanks for any help.

Negative factors:
Very recent VWP overstay
US-based gf
Intention to work in US

Positive factors:
None listed

The first negative is probably enough to knock you out unless you were attached to tubes in an IC bed and couldn't leave. The other two are just the icing on the cake.

Try applying in 5 years or so.

Mav42 Dec 11th 2010 12:53 am

Originally Posted by Marocco (Post 9034595)
Irrelevant.

Really? I thought you were supposed to provide evidence of how you're going to support yourself during your visit?

It's really illegal to do ANY work whatsoever while travelling on a B2 visa?

Marocco Dec 11th 2010 12:56 am

Originally Posted by Mav42 (Post 9034609)
It's really illegal to do ANY work whatsoever while travelling on a B2 visa?

Yes. Some limited working activity is allowed under B1 (see "B1 in lieu of H1B") but not B2.

Mav42 Dec 11th 2010 12:56 am

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 9034603)
Negative factors:
Very recent VWP overstay
US-based gf
Intention to work in US

Positive factors:
None listed

The first negative is probably enough to knock you out unless you were attached to tubes in an IC bed and couldn't leave. The other two are just the icing on the cake.

Try applying in 5 years or so.

I went back in Sept after having overstayed and the officer at the border gave me a waiver for 90 days, allowed me entry into the US and said I should apply for the B2 for future visits.

My girlfriend is my reason for visiting, though. Surely this is common? It's a vacation to see her. We plan to travel across some states as she is auditioning for ballet companies, I can provide a list of these dates and their locations.

I've no intention to work in the US during my visit.

5 years? Surely there is some hope?

Mav42 Dec 11th 2010 1:00 am

Another quick question - is there any possibility of being able to travel under the VWP again?

Considering that it was just a 4 day overstay, can I appeal?

fatbrit Dec 11th 2010 1:02 am

Originally Posted by Mav42 (Post 9034616)
I went back in Sept after having overstayed and the officer at the border gave me a waiver for 90 days, allowed me entry into the US and said I should apply for the B2 for future visits.

My girlfriend is my reason for visiting, though. Surely this is common? It's a vacation to see her. We plan to travel across some states as she is auditioning for ballet companies, I can provide a list of these dates and their locations.

I've no intention to work in the US during my visit.

5 years? Surely there is some hope?

So you can add
* already red-flagged at border
to the other 3 negatives.

IMO, five years is about right for the time to try your first B2 application without just totally throwing your money away.

Marocco Dec 11th 2010 1:04 am

My girlfriend is my reason for visiting, though. Surely this is common? It's a vacation to see her.

Sure, it is common. I visited my US girlfriend several times before we got married. However, most people in this situation don't overstay the VWP.

We plan to travel across some states as she is auditioning for ballet companies, I can provide a list of these dates and their locations.

I suggest that you change your plans. Your B2 application is most unlikely to be approved under the circumstances you describe.

Mav42 Dec 11th 2010 1:04 am

Originally Posted by fatbrit (Post 9034627)
So you can add
* already red-flagged at border
to the other 3 negatives.

He seemed a little more casual than that at the time... I've a sheet of paper verifying that I was ok to enter.

Mav42 Dec 11th 2010 1:06 am

Originally Posted by Marocco (Post 9034630)
I suggest that you change your plans. Your B2 application is most unlikely to be approved under the circumstances you describe.

Then I'm at a loss, and distraught.

ANY way I can get into the country to see her? She can visit me briefly but is doing her university finals and will need to be in the US the majority of the next 6 months.

Perhaps a fiance visa, and then apply for a B2 while it's pending?

Marocco Dec 11th 2010 1:18 am

Originally Posted by Mav42 (Post 9034633)

ANY way I can get into the country to see her? She can visit me briefly but is doing her university finals and will need to be in the US the majority of the next 6 months.

You would have the same problems. Among the other things fatbrit mentioned, how would you support yourself while in the US?

None of these issues would matter, however, if you decided to marry your fiancee and move to the US.

fatbrit Dec 11th 2010 1:21 am

Originally Posted by Mav42 (Post 9034633)

F1 or M1 for an educational course. It's going to cost you, though.