British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   B2 Visa for cycling? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/b2-visa-cycling-727590/)

domslade Aug 5th 2011 6:19 pm

B2 Visa for cycling?

I am planning to cycle from Seattle to Jacksonville, so I am considering applying for a B2 visa as the 90 VWP really wont give me enough time to do the trip properly. I know the B2 is difficult to come by, but does anyone know if doing a long trip like this constitutes acceptable circumstances for the extended stay?

Obviously I have enough money to support myself, and will not be looking to stay there. It is just simply for the challenge and experience.

Thanks

Orangepants Aug 5th 2011 6:21 pm

Re: B2 Visa for cycling?

Peddle really, really fast and do it in 89! :p

DavidLemon Aug 5th 2011 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by Orangepants (Post 9540124)
Peddle really, really fast and do it in 89! :p

Actually not a bad idea lol

According to google maps i have found the following results.

If you are referencing Jacksonville Florida then the unrealistic non stop journey is calculated to take the following

Route US-2 E
3,137 mi, 11 days 10 hours

If you are referencing Jacksonville North Carolina, then the unrealistic non stop journey is calculated to take the following

Route US-2 E
3,103 mi, 11 days 7 hours

This would actually give you plenty of time to try out the cycle between both Jacksonvilles which has the unrealistic but very coastal non stop journey of

Route US-17
508 mi, 1 day 19 hours

So in effect 90 days is plenty of time to actually achieve the challenge as long as you step it up a notch.

Point to note, as seen on many posts. If you apply for a B2 and are denied then you have to declare this on any future esta applications. This could hinder future travel plans going forward.

domslade Aug 5th 2011 6:53 pm

OK, well it is obviously physically possible to cycle to Jacksonville, Fl in 90 days. I could probably do it in 6 weeks if i really really wanted to. My point really, i guess, refers to another post I've ready about VWP, which says they don't want to issue the 6 month visa for general tourism, because you could do all you wanted in 90 days. If I am on a bicycle I couldnt do all I wanted in 90 days, but could in 6 months.

Also if youre saying 'just crank it up a notch', youve clearly never spent a few weeks cycling up mountains.

Apfelkuchen Aug 5th 2011 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by DavidLemon (Post 9540139)
Point to note, as seen on many posts. If you apply for a B2 and are denied then you have to declare this on any future esta applications. This could hinder future travel plans going forward.

Admittedly I am pretty risk averse, but it seems like a big chance to take, especially as 90 days is plenty of time to cover that distance. And yes, I do say that as an experienced cyclist. (I am assuming the OP is a decent cyclist and in good shape.)

A few friends of mine did Seattle to Boston in approximately 65 days and even that wasn't flat out, with about 10 rest days and around 65-85 miles on the days they were riding. The terrain you are planning to cover might be more mountainous, but I guess the route must also be a fair bit shorter, and you could take 3 weeks longer. So you would have plenty of time for sightseeing etc., although perhaps not for everything you want to do.

That said, perhaps the consular official won't think about the logistics in much detail and decide that you have a legitimate reason for a B-2.

P.s. Thanks, by the way, this has given me the PERFECT idea of what to do when I end up unemployed for months on a K-1 visa :D:D:D.

Apfelkuchen Aug 5th 2011 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by domslade (Post 9540166)
Also if youre saying 'just crank it up a notch', youve clearly never spent a few weeks cycling up mountains.

I suspect that *may* have been a joke. I doubt he actually expects you to make it in 11 days :p.

domslade Aug 5th 2011 7:18 pm

All of this is of course true. But ideally I would want to take longer. As its a pretty big once in a life time trip, I would prefer to take my time, take in the sites, and enjoy myself. Instead of slogging every day so I can make it in 90 days.

All I want to know is if anyone has any idea if these circumstances would be seen as acceptable for getting the B-2 visa. If not, then I will just have to do it in 90 days and not do everything I wanted to do. I wasnt planning a direct route between the two, because there are things I would like to see that are out of the way.

So its not about whether it can be done in 90 days. Yes it can, I would just like to take a bit longer.

DavidLemon Aug 5th 2011 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by Apfelkuchen (Post 9540190)
I suspect that *may* have been a joke. I doubt he actually expects you to make it in 11 days :p.

It was a joke indeed, but you may have noted that i did state UNREALISTIC times in my original response.

Originally Posted by domslade (Post 9540166)

You are indeed correct, never even spent a few seconds cycling up a mountain :)

I was simply just trying to point out that logistically if you are wanting to cycle from point a to point b that there is in fact plenty of time to achieve this on the VWP.
It only took me a few minutes to get the info i did off Google, and i have no idea about the geography of the US. If you apply for a B2 and use the example from the original post, they may or may not come up with the same conclusion. 90 days does seem to be a pretty adequate time frame to complete the journey and then they may or may not grant you the visa you so desire. 6 Months would be nice i agree. If the officials in the US believe that 90 days is more realistic for your vacation plans, then the possibility for denial is far more a likely an outcome than acceptance.

I just reckon that it is a big risk to take. being denied the B2 now does not only stop the 6 month journey from happening, but could result in the 90 day journey not taking place when hoped as your esta may not be granted when you answer the question have you ever been denied a visa. This at present im assuming is no, but could very easily (and judging from the numerous posts i have read here) can become a yes.

Orangepants Aug 5th 2011 7:28 pm

You may believe I am being pedantic but "cyling" is but a mode of transportation not a circumstance and hence you are coming to the US for sightseeing and vacationing which, according to many posts on here, Embassy officials dont consider reason enough to issue a B2. Unless you are retired of course?

sir_eccles Aug 5th 2011 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by domslade (Post 9540201)
All of this is of course true. But ideally I would want to take longer. As its a pretty big once in a life time trip, I would prefer to take my time, take in the sites, and enjoy myself. Instead of slogging every day so I can make it in 90 days.

All I want to know is if anyone has any idea if these circumstances would be seen as acceptable for getting the B-2 visa. If not, then I will just have to do it in 90 days and not do everything I wanted to do. I wasnt planning a direct route between the two, because there are things I would like to see that are out of the way.

So its not about whether it can be done in 90 days. Yes it can, I would just like to take a bit longer.

I doubt a B2 would be granted. Plan a 90 day trip perhaps a shorter distance if you are worried about rushing.

One other thing, get really really good travel/health insurance that specifically covers cycling as an activity.

Noorah101 Aug 5th 2011 7:32 pm

In general, simply *wanting* to stay in the USA longer than 90 days is *not* a valid reason for issuing a B-2 visa, unless you are of retirement age, which I assume you are not.

Personally I wouldn't bother with the B-2. I'd break up the journey into 2 parts. Do the Western USA in one VWP trip, then the following year do the Eastern USA in another VWP trip. Much safer that way.

Rene

domslade Aug 5th 2011 7:37 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I was pretty sure it would be difficult to get the B2 visa, but you never know. A friend of mine is currently trying to get a B1/2 visa because he got a job on a yacht that sometimes goes into american waters, and they just wont give it to him. No reasons, just no. So im sure my plans for a little bike ride will be treated the same.

I think the answer to this next question is no, but is there anyone you can talk to before making a formal application to discus your options? I know visa lawyers is are an option, but they are expensive. Im sure the embassy doesnt just reply to speculative letters or emails.

Its a shame because I had a great route planned, but nevermind.

Just out of interest. What are legitimate reasons for getting a 6 month visa? Surely no one actually needs 6 months of tourism.

If I was a millionaire would they give it to me? I'm not, but I've bought my euromillions ticket for tonight

Apfelkuchen Aug 5th 2011 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by domslade (Post 9540201)
All I want to know is if anyone has any idea if these circumstances would be seen as acceptable for getting the B-2 visa.

[...]

The two issues are not unrelated. Only a few days ago someone posted a thread about being refused a B-2 when she wanted to go travelling in the US for five months. Although you will be on a bike, your situation isn't really different to hers. She could have chosen to do less travelling and stick to the 90 days. Similarly, you could choose to do a shorter/faster route and stick to 90 days. The fact that you want to do more won't in itself make them give you a visa. She wanted to do more and they didn't give her one. You might get lucky, but you might not and then your chances of getting refused ESTA (and thus being able to do nothing at all) will be higher.

domslade Aug 5th 2011 7:44 pm

One thing I havent mentioned is that I used to have US residence. I was a child, and my dad was working over there for a few years. Would this be an advantage, disadvantage, or irrelevant?

crg Aug 5th 2011 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by domslade (Post 9540253)
One thing I havent mentioned is that I used to have US residence. I was a child, and my dad was working over there for a few years. Would this be an advantage, disadvantage, or irrelevant?

The decision is made on the totality of circumstances as seen by an individual consular officer. It's not easy to answer such questions with any accuracy. It could be an advantage because you complied with the terms of a previous admission and then went home. It could be a negative because they may be concerned that you still have some ties there.

Be aware that they may be quite reluctant to issue a 10 year multiple entry visa for you to take a bike ride. Many people try to spend the entire 10 years of the visa inside the US or use the whole bike tour claim as a rouse to get in the US while they start a business and then send off sketchy E visa applications, extension requests, appeals, work under the table etc.