British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/)
-   -   B2 visa for America (https://britishexpats.com/forum/us-immigration-citizenship-visas-34/b2-visa-america-881229/)

Stillwell14 Jul 31st 2016 6:38 pm

B2 visa for America

Hello,

I have recently started planning a RTW trip! My first destination will hopefully be America!

I'm not planning to go for another 2 years but I'm already stressing about my visa application!

I plan on being there for up to 3 months. I'm not able to apply for the visa waiver programme due to a police caution I received a few years back. It was a very minor offence but am now finding it may cause me huge problems!

My concern is that the best time for me to book flights is approx 9-11 months before and from what I have researched you only have 6 months to enter the usa after the visa has been approved? Unless it is a multiple entry visa?

I'm finding all the info a bit of a minefield but want to get things in order now as when I think about it 2 years isn't really that long!! So I have a couple of questions if anyone would kindly give any advice!

1. What is the earliest I can apply for the visa before travelling?

2. Is there a way you can specify you would like a multiple entry visa? (I would like to go back and see more of the country at a later date)

3. Is travelling onto south America enough evidence that you have intentions to leave the country? I will be planning to then travel to Asia and australia!

The reason I plan to go in 2 years is to allow plenty of time to save up! And I'm currently estimating my stay in the USA to cost me between 6-8k which I will have and more to find the rest of my trip.

Sorry this is so long I just wanted to provide as much info as possible!!

Thanks

Lucy

Jerseygirl Jul 31st 2016 6:44 pm

Re: B2 visa for America

Welcome to BE.

What and when was the minor offence?

Stillwell14 Jul 31st 2016 6:45 pm

Hello,

I'm 24 now, it was 3 years ago for common assault.

Thanks!

ian-mstm Jul 31st 2016 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by Stillwell14 (Post 12016544)
... from what I have researched you only have 6 months to enter the usa after the visa has been approved?

Generally, this is true only for immigrant visas. You're applying for a non-immigrant visa, so you can enter the US any time up to the expiry date on the visa.

1. What is the earliest I can apply for the visa before travelling?
It sounds as though you're expecting to need a waiver of ineligibility... which is highly unlikely, since common assault isn't a CIMT. Just apply for the visa, you likely won't need a waiver - in which case the visa will be issued that day. If it is issued, it'll likely be valid for 10 years with multiple entries. That's quite common.

2. Is there a way you can specify you would like a multiple entry visa? (I would like to go back and see more of the country at a later date)
When a waiver isn't required, multiple entry is the default. You don't need to specify it.

3. Is travelling onto south America enough evidence that you have intentions to leave the country?
Yes... but so is your onward plane ticket!

I appreciate that you're planning well in advance, but I don't think it's necessary. Common assault isn't a CIMT, and you usually need a waiver only for a CIMT. I don't think you'll have the problems that you're anticipating. Go ahead and apply for the visa now... and put the worry behind you.

Ian

Stillwell14 Jul 31st 2016 8:23 pm

Thank you for all your responses!

Has put my mind at ease a bit! I've just read so much conflicting information online and couldn't seem to find the answers I needed. This is my trip of a lifetime and just want it to be as well planned as it can be before going to avoid any disappointment!

I suppose you're right, I have nothing to loose by applying for the visa now!

Thank you!

Jerseygirl Jul 31st 2016 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by Stillwell14 (Post 12016599)
Thank you for all your responses!

Has put my mind at ease a bit! I've just read so much conflicting information online and couldn't seem to find the answers I needed. This is my trip of a lifetime and just want it to be as well planned as it can be before going to avoid any disappointment!

I suppose you're right, I have nothing to loose by applying for the visa now!

Thank you!

Good luck...but it doesn't sound like you need it. ;)

bruceba Aug 1st 2016 9:38 pm

Just apply for the ESTA now. Give yourself peace of mind and then apply again in two years. Small price to pay.

Stillwell14 Aug 2nd 2016 5:40 am

Originally Posted by bruceba (Post 12017484)
Just apply for the ESTA now. Give yourself peace of mind and then apply again in two years. Small price to pay.

I can't apply for esta as I have a police caution, thats what I understand anyway!!