Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

B2 Visa, Administrative Processing, Traveling under VWP etc

B2 Visa, Administrative Processing, Traveling under VWP etc

Old Jan 31st 2013, 3:26 pm
Just Joined

rayzay28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: B2 Visa, Administrative Processing, Traveling under VWP etc

Originally Posted by marbella-james
ou can actually check on the status of your AP by calling the state dept. in Washington. +1-202-663-1225 option 1/3/9/0 you will be asked for your file number or passport number.
I called up the phone number and gave my passport number. The lady I spoke with just told me "I can see they are doing what they should be doing". I asked her if she may have any more information about where I am in the AP process in terms of correspondence between agencies or if my application has been cleared at any stage and she told me she couldn't say anything besides that everyone was doing what they should be doing and my application had been sent off from the embassy. I would imagine that last part meant I am still in the early stage if the embassy has only just sent my application to whichever agencies it needs to go to for the all-clear. Did you have a different experience at all?

I was also wondering if there was anyone who had their AP completed in just a few weeks. Feel like in all my research I've read of people waiting months or years but haven't come across some people who have had theirs clear quickly. So is this even a possibility? Or do we really all have to wait a couple of months?

Thanks again everyone
Old Jan 31st 2013, 3:40 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rayzay28
I...my application had been sent off from the embassy. I would imagine that last part meant I am still in the early stage if the embassy has only just sent my application to whichever agencies it needs to go to for the all-clear. Did you have a different experience at all?
I wouldn't think she meant they *just* sent it away. It could have been away for a while now. All she said was that the application had been sent from the embassy...she couldn't tell you how long ago.

I was also wondering if there was anyone who had their AP completed in just a few weeks. Feel like in all my research I've read of people waiting months or years but haven't come across some people who have had theirs clear quickly. So is this even a possibility?
I'm sure anything is a possiblity. But like you, I usually see people reporting at least a few months, rather than a few weeks.

Or do we really all have to wait a couple of months?
There's just no way of knowing. Everyone's case is different, too, so even if you find someone who only waited a few weeks, yours could still be a few months or however long.

Rene
Old Feb 1st 2013, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

marbella-james is an unknown quantity at this point

+1 Rene - Mine has taken months but yours could be different; everyone's situation is different.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

Hi All,

It's now been 2.5 months since I've been on AP and my status still reads 'pending'. I need to travel to the US in the next month and my current ESTA expires on the 29th of April. I was wondering when I should re-apply for my ESTA, given that I am currently on administrative processing. I've come across mixed results in doing a search but I was wondering if anyone had any clear info or general idea on whether an ESTA will be denied if you are currently undergoing administrative processing (even if you state that as the reason for visa denial on your application)? What is the more likely outcome?

Also, can you re-apply for an ESTA while in the US on your current ESTA? If so, I would rather already be there when re-applying than be in London and risk not being there at all.

Thanks for the feedback
Old Mar 29th 2013, 11:22 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... my current ESTA expires on the 29th of April.
Will you be entering the US prior to April 29? If so, then use your current ESTA.

Also, can you re-apply for an ESTA while in the US on your current ESTA?
AFAIK, you can apply from anywhere in the world. If you're approved, great; if not, then you'll have your answer.

Ian
Old Mar 30th 2013, 12:37 am
Just Joined

Ian - Thanks for the reply

Does my ESTA need to be valid during the entire length of my stay? Or can I enter before it expires and continue up till hypothetically 90 days?
Old Mar 30th 2013, 6:52 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

It only needs to be valid on entry.
Old Mar 30th 2013, 12:41 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Does my ESTA need to be valid during the entire length of my stay?
No. It need only be valid the day you enter.

... can I enter before it expires and continue up till hypothetically 90 days?
Yes.

Ian
Old Apr 1st 2013, 3:15 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Or, like a visa, does it only need to be valid the day one departs for uninterrupted travel to the USA?

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
No. It need only be valid the day you enter.
Does my ESTA need to be valid during the entire length of my stay?
Old Jul 21st 2013, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

Malcolmans is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello All,

Have been looking through these forums for the past few days trying to get some conclusive answers to queries I had regarding the visa application process. I have read up on most of the general info however was wondering for some help with a few questions.

Does the wait time for AP at all depend on what type of visa you apply for? I've applied for a B2 visa and would imagine since it is just a 6 month approval, it could take less time than someone applying for say an H1-B.

Is there any sure answer of whether traveling to the US under VWP resets your AP process? Can you travel to other countries?

I know this is a DC problem not an Embassy problem so are there avenues of following up with any particular agencies which could help speed up this process? I have heard mixed things

Full disclosure: I am a British Citizen of Pakistani origin (and have a Pakistani name). I pursued higher education at a prestigious US university (graduating in 2011) and wanted to visit the US to assess a potential angel investment opportunity. The realm of activities I would be doing while in the US were also covered under the VWP however, there was a possibility I would have to be in the US for longer than 90 days so I applied for a B2 visa to be safe. I was thinking I could travel to the US for now and return in a month or two if the process is still ongoing but am scared to do so if it will reset my AP. I had my interview with the US Embassy in London on the 14th of January. The lady who interviewed me only asked the reason of my visit and then told me she would approve my visa but it could take "a few weeks". I wasn't sure if this was just generic terminology she says to everyone who undergoes AP (even those who have to wait months or years), or if she actually meant my case.

Thoughts?

Would really appreciate constructive and helpful comments. Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this.

Best,
R

I wonder what happened to the OP. Did you fly using VWP? Or did you have to wait for visa to be granted?
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 6:31 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Malcolmans
I wonder what happened to the OP. Did you fly using VWP? Or did you have to wait for visa to be granted?
Hi Malcolmans -

I did fly on the VWP as I did have some time left on my ESTA. I was given no hassle at all at the border and wasn't even asked any extra questions. Saying that, the visa I did apply for is still pending (it's now been 5.5 months). It is hard to say if this has any relation to the fact that I traveled while under AP.

As I understand from your PM, you had applied for the ESTA while also under AP citing a visa denial in your application. How long did you have to wait for between the time you applied for and received ESTA approval as it seems I may have to fly to the US again soon and can't wait on my visa coming through.

Thanks
Old Sep 6th 2013, 3:38 pm
Just Joined

Hi All -

After waiting for 7.5 months, I received an email from the US Embassy in London yesterday asking me to submit my passport. My status online still reads as pending and the email itself also states that I could be put on administrative processing again. Does anyone have experience of this occurring? As they have now collected my passport, I can't imagine they can hold it for a considerably long time. I recently applied for and received an approved ESTA application so I could travel to the US on the Visa-Waiver Program and this further devalues the prospect of waiting. However, I understand if I don't take this B2 visa, it will ultimately count as a visa refusal and could hurt my prospects for securing a US visa in the future.

My other query is as follows; I had originally applied for the B2 to be a stop-gap visa for me to use till I applied for and received my H1B. I am still waiting on receiving the H1B, but provided it does come through, is it likely they will put me on admin processing for it even though I just cleared admin processing for my B2 application?

Thanks,
Raza
Old Sep 6th 2013, 4:14 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

They certainly could hold your passport for months, look at Syeds thread in the marriage forum.

If you have been put into AP before, anecdotally you tend to go into AP for every visa application in the future, regardless of duration etc.