...B2 Travel advice

Old Nov 21st 2011, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

Focused85 is on a distinguished road
Default ...B2 Travel advice

Hello people

I'm new to this site and have recently read some very helpful information on it, regarding visas and was looking for some advice myself.

I have recently been granted my B2 travel visa for the states and am due to head out to do some travelling in a few weeks.

My main concerns are as follows: say for example while i am out there, my desire to stay in the country becomes strong, what are my options?

Am i allowed to look for work and attend interviews on this visa?

If i am offered work and a company wanted to sponsor me, would i have to come all the way back to the UK for a new visa? As i have read about HB1 visas and having them adjusted in America.

At a long shot but what if i meet a girl and my desire is to stay out there with her, what would my options be there?

Any advice would be great right now as i'm looking at this trip as the next big part of my life and just want to be prepared really, for any opportunities which might arise while I'm state side!

Regards

Focused85

Last edited by Focused85; Nov 21st 2011 at 3:19 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Nov 21st 2011, 3:31 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ...B2 Travel advice

Originally Posted by Focused85
My main concerns are as follows: say for example while i am out there, my desire to stay in the country becomes strong, what are my options?
Then you see if you fit into any of these visa categories: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

Yes. However, it's not a good idea to show up at the POE with a bunch of resumes and work-related contact information.

If i am offered work and a company wanted to sponsor me, would i have to come all the way back to the UK for a new visa?
Yes.

At a long shot but what if i meet a girl and my desire is to stay out there with her, what would my options be there?
The only way you could stay in the USA via a USC is if you marry. If you meet a girl within these 6 months and feel strongly enough that you want to marry her, then you and she should have a consultation with an immigration attorney at that time, to discuss the options available.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Nov 21st 2011 at 4:04 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 3:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Well the chances of getting an extension on the B2 is pretty much nil, unless it's for co-habiting reasons, or you're in hospital having been hit by a bus, kind of deal.

You really want to be careful though because you are sounding like you are trying to use the B2 to stay in the US and having the intent to do so is not good.

I will move this to the visa section though, in case someone else has any more input to add to what Noorah has posted above.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 3:56 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Since you can't live/work in the US without permission, you must leave the US, return home... and then apply for a visa (other than a B-2 visa) which will allow you to return to the US to stay.

Yes.

If i am offered work and a company wanted to sponsor me, would i have to come all the way back to the UK for a new visa?
Yes. Also, be aware that you can not sign any employment papers while you are in the US... because in that moment, you would become a de facto employee of the company - something you can't be without already having employment authorization.

You would need to get married. End of story. Note though, that it is illegal to enter the US as a visitor with the intent to stay to adjust your status.

... and just want to be prepared really, for any opportunities which might arise while I'm state side!
Be aware that there are lines between what you want, what is possible, and what is legal. Those lines are not clearly defined... so your options will not always be clear.

The default position for US immigration is that you know, in advance, what is and what is not allowed... whether you actually do or not.

Ian
Old Nov 21st 2011, 4:08 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I have recently been granted my B2 travel visa for the states and am due to head out to do some travelling in a few weeks.
It's sort of unusual to be granted a B2 visa, unless you are of retirement age. Why could you not travel on the VWP?

Rene
Old Nov 21st 2011, 4:24 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Why could you not travel on the VWP?
I wondered that as well. My guess is that he's not from a VWP country.

Ian
Old Nov 21st 2011, 4:53 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for the replys people.

No i am from the UK and wanted to go out to the states for more than 3 months for travel purposes and to visit my relatives who live there.

Ok so from looking at your answers, if i was to be offered a H visa i would have to return home to get it and then go back to the states to work with it.

What about AOS though, i heard than can be done without leaving, if you are offered, work but also it is quite pricey?

My overall state of mind with it all is that i'm wanting to go out to the states for travel but after being approved with the B2 visa i just feel its going to be the start of new things once i am there. Also i have read that that the B2 can be adjusted that was one of the biggest attractions over the VWP, having the flexibilitie to change things.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 4:59 pm

No i am from the UK and wanted to go out to the states for more than 3 months for travel purposes and to visit my relatives who live there.
I think you were very lucky to have received the B2. Most people who are eligible for the VWP do not get a B2 approved just because they want to spend more time in the USA.

What about AOS though, i heard than can be done without leaving, if you are offered, work but also it is quite pricey?
AOS means Adjustment of Status (to permanent resident). If you are talking about changing from Visitor to Employment, you need to use the phrase "Change of Status". Perhaps it might be possible to change from B-2 to H1B from within the USA, I am not 100% sure.

Whether it's pricey or not, is not really your concern, it's the employer's.

Rene
Old Nov 21st 2011, 5:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

No, that would be COS - Change of Status, from B2 to H1, which while there isn't a filled quota and now that it is past Oct, you could do. You would still need to go abroad to actually get the visa stamped into your passport though, so till then, you would be land locked in this situation. There is no guarantee you would be granted the COS, or getting the visa when you leave the US.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 5:07 pm
Just Joined

So your saying it is possible to change from a B2 to a H visa without leaving the states?

Also if i did have to, is it just a stamp in the passport? Can that be done by going up to Canada or do you have to go back to your Home country?

Cheers :sunglasses:
Old Nov 21st 2011, 5:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

So your saying it is possible to change from a B2 to a H visa without leaving the states?
No. I said you can change your status while in country, not change your visa. They are separate things.

You can go to a neighbouring country to get a H1/L1 renewed, but I do not know if you can go and get a new visa. You would have to look up the embassy site to see if they require you be resident in their jurisdiction and if that is the case, you'd have to go to the UK, but if not, then that could happen. Though if they denied the visa, you'd then be stuck out of the US in a third party country.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 6:11 pm

Not visa. Status.

Also if i did have to, is it just a stamp in the passport? Can that be done by going up to Canada or do you have to go back to your Home country?
Possibly, although 3rd countries are under no obligation to process your visa. For certain results, go back to the UK.

Rene
Old Nov 21st 2011, 6:15 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

only a few thousand H1B left for this year you may have left it a bit late
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 11:31 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice and info everyone!

How do find out how many are left/avalible.

I did read about there only being a certain amount avalible each year.

What other visa options are avalible to work on, there are different types of H visa right??
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 1:05 pm

Thanks for the advice and info everyone!

How do find out how many are left/avalible.

I did read about there only being a certain amount avalible each year.

What other visa options are avalible to work on, there are different types of H visa right??
I have to say, it sounds like you're more interested in working in the USA than in visiting the USA. Why not come for the intended visit, and if you happen to run across a job offer, the company will let you know what kind of visa they can get you. It's all up to the company, anyway, to do your visa petition for you....it's not something you can do on your own.

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.