Wikiposts

B2 -Self Employed Brit.

Old Aug 15th 2012, 3:51 am
Forum Regular

selecta123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile B2 -Self Employed Brit.

Hello!

I'm a self employed male (sole trader), 34 years old with British passport, single, no mortgage, I have family (parents,brother,nieces) in the UK.

I have made a few trips to the US on a ESTA over the past 2 years, 14 days here and there. I have also spent the last 90 days here on a visa waiver/ESTA.

I would like to return to the US to complete a 6 month course. The course is not at a recognised academic institution, so the student visas would not be an option.

My question - What paperwork would I need to show as a self employed person applying for a B2 visa?

Bank statements - How far back?
Tax returns - How many years?

Does anyone have direct experience of this?

Any other pointers!?
Old Aug 15th 2012, 4:05 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: B2 -Self Employed Brit.

I have never seen a similar case.

Sounds a bit of a long shot.
Old Aug 15th 2012, 4:11 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by selecta123
I would like to return to the US to complete a 6 month course. The course is not at a recognised academic institution, so the student visas would not be an option.
I know people on the VWP are not supposed to study. I don't know if that applies to the B-2 visa, but you'll want to make sure before going through all the steps for nothing.

My question - What paperwork would I need to show as a self employed person applying for a B2 visa?
In general, if you qualify for VWP travel, it's very difficult to get a B-2 visa. Especially if you are self-employed, because the ConOff may think you plan to work remotely in the USA while you're visiting. What proof could you provide that you MUST return to the UK?

Far enough to prove you have the funds to cover a 6-month stay in the USA.

What do tax returns prove? You need to prove that you do not intend to remain in the USA, and that you must return to the UK. A lease or rental agreement would be better proof than a tax return.

Something to keep in mind....If you apply for a B-2 and it's denied, it will affect your ability to travel on the VWP for the next 6 to 12 months.

Rene
Old Aug 15th 2012, 4:13 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Hello!

I'm a self employed male (sole trader), 34 years old with British passport, single, no mortgage, I have family (parents,brother,nieces) in the UK.

I have made a few trips to the US on a ESTA over the past 2 years, 14 days here and there. I have also spent the last 90 days here on a visa waiver/ESTA.

Does anyone have direct experience of this?

Any other pointers!?

Don't do it unless you want to find yourself unable to visit the USA as a tourist in the foreseeable future.

Also, spend at least 90 days (and preferably much longer) out of the USA before you attempt another VWP entry.

Not what you wanted to hear, I know. I presume there's a love interest here. Proceed with great caution.
Old Aug 15th 2012, 4:26 am
Forum Regular

Thank you for your quick replies everyone.

Yes, there is a love interest. But neither of us are really at a point where we want to marry.

Not my intention to mislead you guys, just trying to keep the questions simple!

I would genuinely like to do the course and we would have more time to decide if we wanted to get married.

I guess the only other option is to wait a while and come on the VWP again?

I have read a K-1 for a UK citizen currently takes 7/8 months and I cannot travel to the US during the application.

Last edited by selecta123; Aug 15th 2012 at 4:29 am.
Old Aug 15th 2012, 4:28 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I have read a K-1 for a UK citizen currently takes 7/8 months ...
That sounds about right.

and i cannot travel to the US duringt he application.
This is incorrect.

If you are not at a point where you want to get married, then the K-1 visa is not what you want. With the K-1 visa, you must get married within your first 90 days in the USA, and then adjust your status to permanent resident after marriage.

Rene
Old Aug 15th 2012, 4:31 am
Forum Regular

I'm also concerned that even if I did get a B2 visa and then tried to change status by getting married this would cause issues?
Old Aug 15th 2012, 4:33 am

I'm also concerned that even if I did get a B2 visa and then tried to change status by getting married this would cause issues?
Yes, it could. It is illegal to misrepresent yourself at the POE as a visitor, when your true intent is to remain in the USA and adjust status.

If that is your intent, the B-2 is not the one you want.

Sounds like you just need to spend more time visiting each other, until you know for sure you want to marry.

Rene
Old Aug 15th 2012, 4:40 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Noorah,

Do you know if it is possible to travel to the US on ESTA/VWP during a K-1 application?

Is it possible to extend the 90 days before marriage on a K-1 visa?

Thanks again!
Old Aug 15th 2012, 4:42 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Do you know if it is possible to travel to the US on ESTA/VWP during a K-1 application? Yes -- but there's never any guarantee of entry.

Is it possible to extend the 90 days before marriage on a K-1 visa? Never.
Old Aug 15th 2012, 4:44 am

Do you know if it is possible to travel to the US on ESTA/VWP during a K-1 application?
Yes, it is.

Is it possible to extend the 90 days before marriage on a K-1 visa?
No, it is not.

Rene
Old Aug 15th 2012, 4:46 am
Forum Regular

Thanks FatBrit,

I guess they would know that a K-1 application was in progress at the border depending on how far through the process we were.

Probably best to meet in a third country during that time.

Thanks everyone for the info - Have a good day =)
Old Aug 15th 2012, 4:54 am
Septicity

Thanks FatBrit,

I guess they would know that a K-1 application was in progress at the border depending on how far through the process we were.
It's not impossible to visit during the K1, just has some caveats. Let's say you arrive 2 weeks after your last, full 90-day VWP visit with the kitchen sink in your baggage. Then, you'll be spending the night in a cell and going home on the morning flight. But otherwise, a visit is possible.
Old Aug 15th 2012, 4:56 am

Having a K-1 application in progress does not prohibit you from visiting the USA on the VWP.

Probably best to meet in a third country during that time.
Only if that's what you both prefer.

Rene