Wikiposts

B2 to H4 Conversion

Old Sep 24th 2013, 12:44 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: B2 to H4 Conversion

Well, I-797 comes up for Canadians because you usually won't have a visa, but it sounds as though they did have a visa, so

And it matters not for dependents anyway, all you've got to do as a Canadian is show that you are a dependent, a marriage certificate should suffice, together with proof of who they are, i.e. their passports.

I'd say when they go back to the airport, get a comment card and fill it out!!
Old Sep 24th 2013, 3:18 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tolga
I contacted my wife's lawyer who submitted her H-1B application. He is going to call the CBP supervisor at the airport to discuss this. I will give him a day or two and then call the deferred inspection office of the airport to come in for a correction as you suggested. If not, I will go to the USCIS office or phone the closest port of entry that I can drive up to. Any other suggestion?

I am in the New England region.
That seems like a good plan except the part about the CIS office. That would not be in my first several options. If you have to go to Canada and back, just don't choose a tiny crossing and you should be fine.

I expect that the lawyer will be able to articulate it quite easily if he can get a live person on the phone and get it sorted. If by some fluke of the universe he does not, then I'd try the border, but not CIS.

This really is a simple proposition, but some people at airports just aren't familiar with processing Canadians.

The INA is full of obscure rules and caveats. There are strange things like E visa holders that can be admitted for D/S, Jamaicans who can enter without a visa and kids who can enter as tourists to become US citizens and even skip the green card. A repeat shoplifter is likely to need a waiver for life, but someone who gets drunk and kills someone with their car or gets caught with an illegal handgun most likely does not. It's tough to keep track of it all, but if it were easy then we wouldn't have a forum to discuss it I suppose.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

Tolga is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steve_
Given your proximity to the border you might want to risk re-entering to get it sorted out more quickly, the H-1B holder doesn't even need to be present, you just need the paperwork.
The lawyer asked for our flight number, approximate time of arrival, and place of departure. He emailed these details to the CBP supervisor and he is waiting to hear back. He was supposed to call to discuss... Oh well!

I entered to the US a few days ago and I would like to sort my situation out as quickly as possible as we are hoping to receive the result of our PERM application in a month or so. Is there any issues with being on B-2 for a little while until the lawyer and I come up with a plan of action? If I end up driving up to the border, I don't want to be questioned regarding my B-2 status. The stamp on my passport is valid until March 2014.

At a POE on the Canadian border they will be more used to dealing with this situation, although I'd wait to see what happens with the airport now you've done that.
The lawyer had suggested the following PoEs in the past. Highgate Springs, VT or Peace Bridge, NY. Are these PoEs fairly busy and big? I presume they must be used to dealing with Canadians.

That's clearly wrong. It's I-539.
The CBP officer said I-539 is the "old" form for change of status. The "new" form is I-129. Not sure if that makes any sense.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Steve_
I'd say when they go back to the airport, get a comment card and fill it out!!
comment card... you mean like "tell us what you think about the service you received" card?

it seems the deferred inspection office is at the airport.
Old Sep 24th 2013, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by crg
That seems like a good plan except the part about the CIS office. That would not be in my first several options. If you have to go to Canada and back, just don't choose a tiny crossing and you should be fine.
crg: please see my border options above. Should I call these PoEs and explain my situation and intend before I drive up?

I expect that the lawyer will be able to articulate it quite easily if he can get a live person on the phone and get it sorted. If by some fluke of the universe he does not, then I'd try the border, but not CIS.

This really is a simple proposition, but some people at airports just aren't familiar with processing Canadians.
I am a bit upset that he emailed instead of calling the CBP officer. I will ask him to call if I don't hear back until the end of the week.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 2:22 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Should I call these PoEs and explain my situation and intend before I drive up?
No, it'll be a waste of time.

I am a bit upset that he emailed instead of calling the CBP officer.
You hired the lawyer - he represents you. If he is not doing as you wish, then it's time to fire him and get someone who will follow your instructions. He took the path of least resistance... and that is not a judgment call if, in fact, you asked that he phone.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Sep 25th 2013 at 2:24 am.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 3:39 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Having been told this, did you look at I-129 to see if it made sense?

Regards, JEff
The CBP officer said I-539 is the "old" form for change of status. The "new" form is I-129. Not sure if that makes any sense.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

You hired the lawyer - he represents you. If he is not doing as you wish, then it's time to fire him and get someone who will follow your instructions. He took the path of least resistance... and that is not a judgment call if, in fact, you asked that he phone.

Ian
I didn't hire the lawyer. My wife's employer has a designated lawyer that they have been working with. He suggested a call initially and then said that he emailed. I asked him to call today.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Having been told this, did you look at I-129 to see if it made sense?

Regards, JEff
Yes, I looked at I-129 and it didn't make any sense to me either.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 6:51 am
BE Enthusiast

jxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond reputejxv73 has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't hire the lawyer. My wife's employer has a designated lawyer that they have been working with. He suggested a call initially and then said that he emailed. I asked him to call today.
You can use a different lawyer to represent you. There is no harm in going to the CBP deferred inspection station and pleading your case on your own.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 7:23 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

The lawyer had suggested the following PoEs in the past. Highgate Springs, VT or Peace Bridge, NY. Are these PoEs fairly busy and big? I presume they must be used to dealing with Canadians.
Highgate Springs is medium size, Peace Bridge is a major crossing and Derby Line, VT is small but all should know how to handle Canadians. None of them are likely to be especially busy this time of year, unless it is around the weekend.

You can track wait times here.

I'm still optimistic that you can get this resolved. If your lawyer can't get it done, you may want to resort to being a bit pushy and persistent. Anyone call the deferred inspection office? Tell them your attorney told you that you were admitted incorrectly and you need to find out what time to show up at their office to have it fixed.
Old Sep 25th 2013, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by crg
Highgate Springs is medium size, Peace Bridge is a major crossing and Derby Line, VT is small but all should know how to handle Canadians. None of them are likely to be especially busy this time of year, unless it is around the weekend.

You can track wait times here.
If I end up going to one of these PoEs, is it better to bring along my wife? I would like to go on a week day to avoid long wait times, but she is working.

I'm still optimistic that you can get this resolved. If your lawyer can't get it done, you may want to resort to being a bit pushy and persistent. Anyone call the deferred inspection office? Tell them your attorney told you that you were admitted incorrectly and you need to find out what time to show up at their office to have it fixed.
The lawyer got back to me. Apparently, the supervisor is out of the office until Monday. He'll try contacting her then. Should I give a bit more time (until Monday) to the lawyer or call the deferred inspection office myself right away?
Old Sep 26th 2013, 12:42 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Should I give a bit more time (until Monday) to the lawyer or call the deferred inspection office myself right away?
One way or another, you're going to have to get the record amended... I suggest it's better to do it in person, rather than rely on communication from a lawyer who doesn't even consider you his client and, as a result, might not give you the whole story!

Ian
Old Sep 26th 2013, 11:13 pm
crg
American Expat

If I end up going to one of these PoEs, is it better to bring along my wife? I would like to go on a week day to avoid long wait times, but she is working.

The lawyer got back to me. Apparently, the supervisor is out of the office until Monday. He'll try contacting her then. Should I give a bit more time (until Monday) to the lawyer or call the deferred inspection office myself right away?
The established process for fixing this type of error is to call and then go to a deferred inspection office. It can't hurt to call. You may not even need the supervisor at that office. That office gets the cases that are complex and prepare cases to send to immigration court. They are likely to know what needs to be done.
Old Oct 1st 2013, 4:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by crg
The established process for fixing this type of error is to call and then go to a deferred inspection office. It can't hurt to call. You may not even need the supervisor at that office. That office gets the cases that are complex and prepare cases to send to immigration court. They are likely to know what needs to be done.
You guys were right on the spot. The lawyer got back to me. He has heard from the Port Director and they believe that an error was made by the officer who admitted me in B-2 rather than H-4 status. They suggest that we go to the Custom & Border Protection Deferred Inspection office at the airport and ask for review of this “Service Error” and a correction to the class of my admission. The lawyer would like to accompany me just to make sure all points are covered. I will bring along the same documents I presented the first time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.