Wikiposts

B2 extension

Old Dec 31st 2011, 4:20 pm
Just Joined

mkath is an unknown quantity at this point
Default B2 extension

Hi, I posted a while back about my mum's B2 application, which she was granted with no problem. She is due to return to the UK early May.

However, I am now expecting a baby in mid June and would very much like her to be there. We are thinking of applying for an extension for 3 months or so and wondering if anyone has any experience in a case like this. How likely are we to be granted one?

The other issue is that she would quite like to return to the UK in the meantime, as she will be away for such a while, for a just a short visit. Her sister-in-law is very ill and likely to pass away soon. But as I understand it as soon as she leaves the US her permitted stay expires and any readmission is seen as a new entry. I believe that there could be some difficulties with returning to the US in such a short amount of time.

If we were to be granted an extension, would this affect her likelihood of being granted readmission should she decide to go home? Also, if she does decide to go home, what are the optimal times for waiting in UK before attempting readmission?

Thanks so much for reading and any suggestions.
Old Dec 31st 2011, 10:57 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: B2 extension

Originally Posted by mkath
Hi, I posted a while back about my mum's B2 application, which she was granted with no problem. She is due to return to the UK early May.

However, I am now expecting a baby in mid June and would very much like her to be there. We are thinking of applying for an extension for 3 months or so and wondering if anyone has any experience in a case like this. How likely are we to be granted one?

The other issue is that she would quite like to return to the UK in the meantime, as she will be away for such a while, for a just a short visit. Her sister-in-law is very ill and likely to pass away soon. But as I understand it as soon as she leaves the US her permitted stay expires and any readmission is seen as a new entry. I believe that there could be some difficulties with returning to the US in such a short amount of time.

If we were to be granted an extension, would this affect her likelihood of being granted readmission should she decide to go home? Also, if she does decide to go home, what are the optimal times for waiting in UK before attempting readmission?

Thanks so much for reading and any suggestions.
1. An extension is used when a B-2 visa holder wants to stay longer in the USA, without leaving the USA. No one can say what the result will be if she applies, whether it will be approved or not, but for sure if she doesn't apply, she will never know.

2. As soon as she leaves the USA, her next visit will be a new entry, whether she's applied for an extension or not, or whether the extension was approved or not.

3. If she has a multiple-entry B-2 visa, and the visa hasn't expired, her chances of being readmitted are probably good, but again one never knows until one is actually at the POE asking permission to enter.

Rene
Old Jan 1st 2012, 12:58 am
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

Also keep in mind that if Mum overstays, even by a couple of days - her B2 visa becomes invalidated. I believe this would also effect her future ability to visit on the VWP. Keep this in mind when considering a B2 extension.

Of course OP - or OP's mum rather - has to decide for herself what to do, and what level of risk tolerance she has.

But if it was me - I would have mum go home now, and return for another visit close to the baby's due date.

I am not going to get into a resident for tax purposes discussion, which is another can of worms if mum decides to apply for an extension and remain until June.

Of course individual mileage may vary.

Last edited by discoviking; Jan 1st 2012 at 1:05 am.
Old Jan 1st 2012, 9:50 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Where does she get travel Insurance for such a long visit?

It sounds like her reason for an extension is iffy at the best.

If she has no future plans in returning to the US then I see no harm in applying.
Old Jan 1st 2012, 4:51 pm
Just Joined

mkath is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Originally Posted by discoviking
Also keep in mind that if Mum overstays, even by a couple of days - her B2 visa becomes invalidated. I believe this would also effect her future ability to visit on the VWP. Keep this in mind when considering a B2 extension.

Of course OP - or OP's mum rather - has to decide for herself what to do, and what level of risk tolerance she has.

But if it was me - I would have mum go home now, and return for another visit close to the baby's due date.

I am not going to get into a resident for tax purposes discussion, which is another can of worms if mum decides to apply for an extension and remain until June.

Of course individual mileage may vary.
Don't worry - she has no intention of overstaying!

Are you saying it would be better for her to go home now because you think she has little chance of being granted an extension? And she has more chance of being allowed back in if she's had longer in the UK, compared to going home later.
Old Jan 1st 2012, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

CAProgrammer is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you saying it would be better for her to go home now because you think she has little chance of being granted an extension? And she has more chance of being allowed back in if she's had longer in the UK, compared to going home later.
Yes. If she went home now, then returned in May/June 2012 that would leave a sufficient gap between visits to potentially avoid problems being let back into the country...
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 7:31 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CAProgrammer
Yes. If she went home now, then returned in May/June 2012 that would leave a sufficient gap between visits to potentially avoid problems being let back into the country...
That and helping out with a new baby is getting onto the grey area of work, which is certainly not something one should admit to doing and the easiest way not to lie would be not to apply for it. :/
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 4:51 am
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry - she has no intention of overstaying!
Think carefully about the mechanics of what happens if mum gets close to her I-94 date, applies for an extension, remains while the application is pending and then the application is denied.

I'm not worried about mum overstaying at all, but perhaps you should be.....