B2 Expiry Date

Old Apr 11th 2020, 7:19 am
Just Joined

Andrew1979 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default B2 Expiry Date

Hi, My B2 expires on November 20th this year. My plan is to travel to the US in early November and stay for around 3-4 months. I think this is OK but would be interested in anyone's thoughts.

Do I need to apply for a new B2 or am I correct that the expiry date is relevant to the date you enter the USA and not the date you leave? Obviously desperate to ensure I don't upset the system!

Thank you!
Old Apr 11th 2020, 10:21 am
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: B2 Expiry Date

Your proposed trip is fine. You're OK as long as the visa is still valid on the day that you enter the USA. Your departure date is governed by the period of time granted to you by the CBP at the port of entry.
Old Apr 11th 2020, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

Andrew1979 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you!
Old Apr 13th 2020, 1:48 am
BE Enthusiast

TheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond repute

Are you not eligible for the visa waiver (ESTA) program? Assuming not since you have a B2, but if you are, you could submit an ESTA and use the VWP to enter for up-to 90 days which would potentially address you concerns.

You're right that so long as you have a valid visa you'll likely be granted entry, but it is also up to the officer at the port of entry how long they make your i94 valid for, and they could easily set this to the same as the visa expiration date as opposed to the 6 months you'd traditionally be given with a B2 with a longer expiration timeline.

Old Apr 14th 2020, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

steph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond reputesteph0scope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheKingOfHearts
Are you not eligible for the visa waiver (ESTA) program? Assuming not since you have a B2, but if you are, you could submit an ESTA and use the VWP to enter for up-to 90 days which would potentially address you concerns.
Past posts of his suggest that he has a criminal record that makes him ineligible for the VWP.

I am interested as to why the B-2 was only valid for 6.5 years. It was applied for and issued in the summer of 2014. They are normally valid for 10 years.
Old Apr 14th 2020, 5:04 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrew1979
Hi, My B2 expires on November 20th this year. My plan is to travel to the US in early November and stay for around 3-4 months. I think this is OK but would be interested in anyone's thoughts.

Do I need to apply for a new B2 or am I correct that the expiry date is relevant to the date you enter the USA and not the date you leave? Obviously desperate to ensure I don't upset the system!

Thank you!
Also be aware that while you can be admitted for up to 180 days on a B1/B2 you could be asked about how long your planned visit is / for your onward/return flight details. Assuming you are not of retirement age they may ask how you are able to spend so long away and not able to work which could lead to more questions/issues.