Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

B2 Denied applying for ESTA some advice please

B2 Denied applying for ESTA some advice please

Old Oct 7th 2011, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

snowguy007 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: B2 Denied applying for ESTA some advice please

Yes I should've just stuck to my VWP. But I had no idea this was going to happen to me as punishment.

Roy and Rene, thank you. You have brought light to my present darkness and given me something to fight for. I needed to know wether or not this was worth getting into before a long upward struggle, you have provided me with encouragement and knowledge, now I know that the fight is worth fighting and that I can actually be with the woman I love one day.

OK SanDiegogirl basically it was a night shift slave's job in the UK for minimum wage, that I found through desperation, hardest thing I have ever done. Ever. They took me back each year without question because I'm a hard worker. But when combined with a H2B winter job in the Rocky Mountains and a tonne of snowboarding everything in my year balanced out just nicely. Until the US Dept of Labor screwed over ALL H2B workers. New solutions needed to be found. I'm still searching. There are some great people on this forum.

Last edited by snowguy007; Oct 7th 2011 at 5:53 pm.
Old Oct 7th 2011, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

BILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud ofBILDER has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by snowguy007
OK BILDER great idea dude, only one downside, she's studying full time and working part time. If you've ever been there you'll know how tough that is. But I guess I better try and amend my flights to her name with a different departure. More fees, more fun. press #1 if you'd like to wait longer, press #2 if you'd like to moan like a baby, press #3 for a human being with no brain, we really appreciate your call
That really made me laugh! Why don't you guys meet in Canada for a few days/week. Sort things out and come up with a game plan (ie marriage etc)
Old Oct 7th 2011, 6:00 pm
Just Joined

Nice to know I make someone smile dude. I'm in tears. I've spent 3 months looking into stuff since my H2B employer 'dumped' me and 70+ of my other homies.

Yeah Canada looks like it's calling me, more research. But for now it's time to just take it on the chin, knuckle down and graft.

You have to love the challenges life presents you. Wouldn't it be boring if it was easy?
Old Oct 7th 2011, 6:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah Canada looks like it's calling me, more research.
Out of interest, how old are you? One advantage that Canada has over the US is that is has a Working Holiday Visa program which would give you a year's open work permit if you are aged 30 or under.

Good luck, maybe see you in the Canada forums as you figure out your Plan B.

Old Oct 7th 2011, 7:05 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

To CarlEnigma, because the 'delightful' lady at the consulate said I'm unable to visit for two years. Any ideas?
She lied to you... deliberately! It's sad really, but she is allowed to do that.

Ian
Old Oct 7th 2011, 7:09 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I should've just stuck to my VWP. But I had no idea this was going to happen to me as punishment.
Forgive me, but why do you think you're being punished? When you applied, didn't you understand that there were two possible outcomes!

Ian
Old Oct 7th 2011, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Forgive me, but why do you think you're being punished? When you applied, didn't you understand that there were two possible outcomes!

Ian
To be fair to the OP, it's not exactly common knowledge that ESTA-eligible people are usually denied B-2s, well not common knowledge among non-regulars of the BE USA forums at least. And it's not helped by entities such as the US Embassy mis-information line often telling people "Want to visit for more than 90 days? Sure, just apply for a B-2."

Last edited by rpjs; Oct 7th 2011 at 7:24 pm.
Old Oct 8th 2011, 9:59 am
Just Joined

[QUOTE=christmasoompa;9663376]Out of interest, how old are you? One advantage that Canada has over the US is that is has a Working Holiday Visa program which would give you a year's open work permit if you are aged 30 or under.

Good luck, maybe see you in the Canada forums as you figure out your Plan B.

[/QUOTE

I'm 34. I was of the opinion that the Working Holiday Visa was possible for 35 and under. Am I wrong again?
Old Oct 8th 2011, 10:01 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm 34. I was of the opinion that the Working Holiday Visa was possible for 35 and under. Am I wrong again?
I'm afraid it's 30 for UK citizens - I'm assuming you are a UKC but if I'm wrong you could be in luck. If you are Australian for example, the age limit is 35.

Which country (or countries) are you a citizen of?
Old Oct 8th 2011, 10:44 am
Just Joined

UKC

Ian-mstm - I honestly had no idea that a visa denial meant that you lose VWP privelages. Guess I found out the hard way, didn't I.

Again on to my next plan.

Thank you all for the sound advice forum users.

I'm recommending this site to any and all of my friends who travel

Last edited by snowguy007; Oct 8th 2011 at 11:14 am.
Old Oct 8th 2011, 12:37 pm
Account Closed

Ian-mstm - I honestly had no idea that a visa denial meant that you lose VWP privelages.
It doesn't mean that at all. Well, okay... perhaps in the short term, but not in the long term.

Ian
Old Oct 8th 2011, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for the sound advice forum users.

I'm recommending this site to any and all of my friends who travel
I don't have anything to add advise-wise, but just wanted to say that I like your attitude. All too often people who visit here go on the offensive when they do not get the answers they want to hear. You seem to take it all in stride and look for new solutions based on the information you are given, which is refreshing.

Good luck to you, with your positive attitude you will find a workable solution to your problem - even if it might be a different solution than the one you initially had in mind!
Old Oct 8th 2011, 2:18 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by discoviking
I don't have anything to add advise-wise, but just wanted to say that I like your attitude. All too often people who visit here go on the offensive when they do not get the answers they want to hear. You seem to take it all in stride and look for new solutions based on the information you are given, which is refreshing.

Good luck to you, with your positive attitude you will find a workable solution to your problem - even if it might be a different solution than the one you initially had in mind!
Part of the reason for that is the sometimes hostile nature of the advice they receive from some of the more established posters here. I've noticed an occasional tendency to treat some newbies with contempt - for example not having read the wiki or searched previous threads on the same subject.
Old Oct 8th 2011, 4:07 pm
Just Joined

Discoviking thank you. I will get there. Eventually.

As a newbie on here I am in awe of the knowledge many of you may take for granted. But at the end of the day this is quite a specialized area for us mere mortals, how would anyone know that the US Embassy isn't actually there to give help and advice? And as for lying to me... who'd of thought it.

I hope that I'll be back with good news in the future, but guess where I'll come before doing anything?